LH Labs Geek Out v2+ Discussion Thread
Oct 29, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #1,516 of 2,040
For previous LH Labs product owners, is it just me, or do the digital filters seem to have an obvious effect/difference between the two (FRM vs TCM)?

I still prefer FRM, and the differences still seem consistent with what I remember with the original Geek Out and Pulse X Infinity, but I just notice them a lot more now. Maybe it's my IEMs.

Also, I just got back my GO V2+ from exchanging it from the old chassis. I have to say, the new (not-3D-printed) chassis feels and looks much nicer than the old one. The finish on the aluminum(?) faceplates is also much nicer since it's not a fingerprint magnet.

Sound-wise, it destroys my DragonFly Black that I have with me at the moment. It's nice to be back with LH Labs' high-quality sound. I can't wait to use this with my phone and try it out for mobile listening sessions.

Oct 29, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #1,518 of 2,040
My fr
My friend, I switched from an iPhone 5 to the Marshall London and I can tell you there is a remarkable difference! Every song I play sounds like I'm at a concert with a super crispy sound system! Dude it's totally CRAZY! Just freakin AMAZING!!!

It also depends a lot on what you friend was using to play the songs on Iphone 5.   When I use my IPhone as source,  I use high-res music (192/24 or DSD) and the Onkyo IOS player.  If I were to use Apple Music streaming, it would be a very different experience ... 

Oct 29, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #1,519 of 2,040
Yup, FRM all the time on my Pulse Xfi and V2+ Infinity. There is a slight difference in the sound of each filter.

Is FRM the "Green" setting?  If yes, that is what I use all the time also ... 

Oct 29, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #1,521 of 2,040
It also depends a lot on what you friend was using to play the songs on Iphone 5.   When I use my IPhone as source,  I use high-res music (192/24 or DSD) and the Onkyo IOS player.  If I were to use Apple Music streaming, it would be a very different experience ... 
On my iPhone 5, I streamed from Tidal mostly.. Also, I used the Onkyo music player to play from iphone memory and used the eq when needed (eq quite good I may add)! The software on the Marshall is made for music, something like Amarra for Tidal or JRiver. It really is an excellent sound feeding the V2+ Infinite and it makes a remarkable difference in it's performance!! That my friend is were the sound differences are made! It's basically a music player with a phone as a bonus..Check it out!!! You'll like it!!

Oct 29, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #1,522 of 2,040
I've been trying out a lot of phones with a lot of dac's and fwiw I've never ever heard any difference from the source when using USB Audio Player Pro (that completly bypasses Android sound) as player. My guess is that any difference comes from Android messing with the sound in one way or the other. Phones often have "sound enhachers" or upsampling (standard Android output) that one may like or not but it's not an unaltered sound...

Just my experience and I'm sure others will have different one so as always ymmw.

Oct 29, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #1,523 of 2,040
+1

This is also true to my experience.

Hence I have an Android box with space for an internal 3.5 HD drive. Have an LPS and Revive run to it, installed an WD 8Tb HD and have UAPP as my music app.

Oct 29, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #1,525 of 2,040
Or not....my USB C to microUSB OTG cable doesn't work. : (

Still waiting for Geek Wave....I'll probably get it when I no longer have a need for it. >.>
Don't give up on the Wave, Larry is doing some really special things with it! Don't get me wrong, there could be a better sounding player out there, but in no way, shape, form or fashion will I nay say the Wave!!! If you do get another player before it's released, I have a strong gut feeling it will be put in the drawer when the Wave hits your fingertips! Please no offense, friend...

Oct 30, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #1,526 of 2,040
Don't give up on the Wave, Larry is doing some really special things with it! Don't get me wrong, there could be a better sounding player out there, but in no way, shape, form or fashion will I nay say the Wave!!! If you do get another player before it's released, I have a strong gut feeling it will be put in the drawer when the Wave hits your fingertips! Please no offense, friend...

You're free to share that optimism, but I own 4 LH Labs products and find all of them only comparable with what's on the market. And some of them, like the GO 1000, has now been surpassed by newer items from other companies for lower prices.

The Pulse line is no longer competitive with newer offerings and it has a bad track record in dependability. If so many people hadn't bought in beforehand, there'd be no way as many units would be making it into people's hands vs. the competition now.

Good luck and all, but let's be real and understand this is technology and time is not on its side and there are limits to what any one company can offer performance wise.

Oct 30, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #1,527 of 2,040
You're free to share that optimism, but I own 4 LH Labs products and find all of them only comparable with what's on the market. And some of them, like the GO 1000, has now been surpassed by newer items from other companies for lower prices.

The Pulse line is no longer competitive with newer offerings and it has a bad track record in dependability. If so many people hadn't bought in beforehand, there'd be no way as many units would be making it into people's hands vs. the competition now.

Good luck and all, but let's be real and understand this is technology and time is not on its side and there are limits to what any one company can offer performance wise.
I still say don't sell it short, Larry is full of surprises!

Oct 30, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #1,528 of 2,040
I still say don't sell it short, Larry is full of surprises!

When it gets released it won't be SOTA, which was the reason I jumped into the campaigns. It will more than likely be worth no more than the price I paid.

I have completely 2nd Infinity system I could not even sell near what I had invested through the Indiegogo campaign. The HPA, Source and Wave probably won't be different.

Oct 31, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #1,529 of 2,040
When it gets released it won't be SOTA, which was the reason I jumped into the campaigns. It will more than likely be worth no more than the price I paid.

I have completely 2nd Infinity system I could not even sell near what I had invested through the Indiegogo campaign. The HPA, Source and Wave probably won't be different.

Not to mention the "special" verb, verb-x, verbatim, and balanced iem verb superb.

Oct 31, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #1,530 of 2,040
I think the go products are the only things that were ok. Go v2 was a bit late and go2a should have been what go v2 should have been. It does perform at a high level and the balanced is really nice. Don't think you can find a small portable dac/amp that's balanced for the price. Unfortunately no volume control is a bummer and I always have to be careful not to blast my ears when using Windows. I think however the options are only competitive at the prices offered at campaign prices. No one would really pay $649 for a Go v2+ infinity, only because it took so long to come. A year ago....maybe..but the mojo stole it's thunder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back