LH Labs Geek Out v2+ Discussion Thread
Aug 20, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #1,306 of 2,040
To be honest, I really don't know what I'm looking at. For example, while initially surprised that I was seeing 352800 Hz in the LH Control Panel, which implied everything was being downsampled, it may be that DoP MEANS that the control panel is detecting the 8x PCM wrapper at 352800Hz, while the content is at 1xDSD or  2xDSD (ie the V2+ hardware signals with the DSD LED on). If that makes sense.

We really don't know what is going on. 
I HAVE seen the full 2xDSD bitrate in the Control Panel, but as I said previously, the headphone output was painfully loud mush.

The ES9018 specs are very little help either: they are very coy about what audio signals can be processed with each type of input, and only mention 384K as the only limit of frequency. DSD is mentioned, but it's not stated whether it's native or DoP, etc.
http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en/products/sabre-digital-analog-converters/sabre-hifi-mobile-dacs/sabre-hifi-stereo-dacs/es9018k2m/

Regards

Aug 20, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #1,307 of 2,040
  To be honest, I really don't know what I'm looking at. For example, while initially surprised that I was seeing 352800 Hz in the LH Control Panel, which implied everything was being downsampled, it may be that DoP MEANS that the control panel is detecting the 8x PCM wrapper at 352800Hz, while the content is at 1xDSD or  2xDSD (ie the V2+ hardware signals with the DSD LED on). If that makes sense.

We really don't know what is going on. 
I HAVE seen the full 2xDSD bitrate in the Control Panel, but as I said previously, the headphone output was painfully loud mush.

The ES9018 specs are very little help either: they are very coy about what audio signals can be processed with each type of input, and only mention 384K as the only limit of frequency. DSD is mentioned, but it's not stated whether it's native or DoP, etc.
http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en/products/sabre-digital-analog-converters/sabre-hifi-mobile-dacs/sabre-hifi-stereo-dacs/es9018k2m/

Regards

You might be correct and what we see might be the transport wrapper ...  Or a limitation on the DoP ...

Just as test, I've tried the exact same thing with my Oppo HA-2 and got the same result using ASIO and DoP - 352800 Hz on the Oppo control panel. 

But when I've used ASIO and native DSD bitstreaming  (DoP Disabled), the Oppo HA-2 reported the full 5644800 Hz:

The main question on my mind now is:  Does the V2+ supports native DSD bitstreaming with ASIO (and we need an updated ASIO driver)?  Or is it DoP only? 

Aug 21, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #1,309 of 2,040
You might be correct and what we see might be the transport wrapper ...  Or a limitation on the DoP ...

Just as test, I've tried the exact same thing with my Oppo HA-2 and got the same result using ASIO and DoP - 352800 Hz on the Oppo control panel. 

But when I've used ASIO and native DSD bitstreaming  (DoP Disabled), the Oppo HA-2 reported the full 5644800 Hz:

The main question on my mind now is:  Does the V2+ supports native DSD bitstreaming with ASIO (and we need an updated ASIO driver)?  Or is it DoP only? 

One question is which sounds better? I wonder if there is a point where no improvements in sound can be heard? For example for a given piece of music is 4xDSD ASIO better than 2xDSD DoP or even 32bit, 196000Hz PCM. I think it would depend on the original recording format whether up or down rezing begins to have an effect. For example up rezing an MP3 file to DSD bit streaming isn't going to make it sound any better.

Of course we want to make sure our LH Labs DAC can perform at the maximum specs.

Aug 22, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #1,310 of 2,040
"Which sounds better?" ---  Aaahhh,  the constant question.

I think people need to trust their own ears. Is there something you don't like about what you're hearing? Is it the recording or the equipment? If you think it's the equipment, then you're still "on the quest". After that point, you have to trust what others you DO trust, say. Actually head-fi is a pretty good place for those opinions.

I did come across a long discussion about whether anything could be gained above 44kHz CD - there are some who would argue the theoretical point of recording accuracy only requiring 2x the listening range (Nyquist point). Eventually, one recording engineer who had worked in the major DSD-recording studios, said that in his opinion, 2xDSD was the first time he had become comfortable with the quality of digital recording v. ANALOG recording!!!

Personally, I think it's the whole chain that counts, with increasing sensitivity to the front end of the chain.

What LHLabs brings, is exposure to some of the best technology, at a price that allows for some experimentation. After all, when you spend $1,000 on something, you "just know" it's the best!  I'm pretty happy with what I'm hearing from old CDs, ripped at higher rates in flac. I'm hearing things through the v2+ that I hadn't heard before. But the DSD recordings are mostly better, because, I think, the recordings are done with greater care.

But legendary producers were legendary for a reason: not just because they employed better equipment.
So enjoyment of music comes from a long chain of skills, with equipment only needing to be "good enough" to expose those skills.

My 2c's worth.

Aug 22, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #1,311 of 2,040
OK, so I've been listening to my new V2+ Signature Edition for the past week since receiving it. It's by far the best portable type device I've ever heard. Previous experience with ODAC + O2 stack, HRT Microstreamer, Dragonfly 1.0, Geek Out 450, and Sony ZX2. I think the V2+ SE is about the same as my Pulse Xfi + LPS but not quite as good as the Pulse Infinity + LPS. I think that's pretty high praise. And balanced output is much better than single ended. All listening done using Noble K10U. I feel the V2+ SE excels in soundstage and detail retrieval without sounding harsh.

Aug 22, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #1,312 of 2,040
OK, so I've been listening to my new V2+ Signature Edition for the past week since receiving it.!It's by far the best portable type device I've ever heard. Previous experience with ODAC + O2 stack, HRT Microstreamer, Dragonfly 1.0, Geek Out 450, and Sony ZX2. I think the V2+ SE is about the same as my Pulse Xfi + LPS but not quite as good as the Pulse Infinity + LPS. I think that's pretty high praise. And balanced output is much better than single ended. All listening done using Noble K10U. I feel the V2+ SE excels in soundstage and detail retrieval without sounding harsh.
Why don't you try it with the Lightspeed Revive, I'm ordering one for my V2+ Infinity!? I'll bet that combo will take it to new heights!

Aug 22, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #1,313 of 2,040
I'm not sure anyone knows how the typical Reclocker and USB 5v supply improvement process works with the v2+.  

I understood that this (v2) version of the Sabre DAC had an internal ASRC and reclocking function, and that the v2+ worked off it's battery input, not the USB 5v bus input from the source.
So I would be inclined to believe that these aids would have marginal impact in this particular case, even less so with the Infinity version

Certainly happy to let someone else find out!!

Aug 22, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #1,315 of 2,040
I'm not sure anyone knows how the typical Reclocker and USB 5v supply improvement process works with the v2+.  

I understood that this (v2) version of the Sabre DAC had an internal ASRC and reclocking function, and that the v2+ worked off it's battery input, not the USB 5v bus input from the source.
So I would be inclined to believe that these aids would have marginal impact in this particular case, even less so with the Infinity version

Certainly happy to let someone else find out!!
I will come back after my Revive has arrived and will tell if it's worth buying for the V2+ Infinity. Also, the instant sound improvements heard if any ( by your statement of course )! I should have it in around two weeks!!

Aug 23, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #1,316 of 2,040
I wish to apologize to cxb1 here on Head-Fi.
It was inappropriate for me to jump on you, as a member, and a paid customer of a company for being upset with your experience.
The use of a forum is to express ourselves in a positive fashion. I did not do that.
Please accept my apology to you.
Thank you,
Chris
p.s. I will check MY sippy-cup at the door...

Aug 25, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #1,318 of 2,040
God, this V2+ can make my HD800 really sing! I have been listening to some Anouar Brahem tunes, and I am loving the dynamics, the instrument separation, the strings, the bass, the wide open and airy soundstage so much, it is not even funny... I may be crazy, but I am positively feeling that there is really nothing missing from the music. sq-wise... And  Let no-one attempt to tell me that there is "better" out there... Sorry I am not listening to any naysayers now... Not in the mood...  Ohh No I am not
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 25, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #1,319 of 2,040
One of Larry Ho"s main cans is HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back