LH Labs Geek Out v2+ Discussion Thread
Aug 19, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #1,292 of 2,040
  I think you are correct ... I've just try "native" with my Onkyo DP-X1 and it was no go :frowning2: All worked fine with DoP!

Yes, I've got these drivers working (mostly) under JRiver, BUT I never see the DSD rates in the LH Control Panel: it's always running at 352800. 
The only time I've seen the MUCH higher bitrates, is when I've had loud mush coming into my ears: (definitely hang the phones round the neck while experimenting....)

If you think you've got native DSD or DSD over DoP, can someone please check the LH Control Panel, and see the rate it's detecting?

Sorry, I forgot to mention: I'm using JRiver 21

Thanks.

Aug 19, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #1,293 of 2,040
  Mine died within 24 hours of owning it.  9 days in with the support ticket and no response, no response to emails either.  It's possible they've cut and run with the money based on this behavior, or there's nobody left on the payroll to answer email.

​Sorry to hear that Peter.  Response back has been slow.  Not sure what's going on with that.

Aug 20, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #1,295 of 2,040
  Mine died within 24 hours of owning it.  9 days in with the support ticket and no response, no response to emails either.  It's possible they've cut and run with the money based on this behavior, or there's nobody left on the payroll to answer email.

Make sure it's not the USB cable that died. That's what happened with me. I thought the DAC died but it was the supplied cable.

Aug 20, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #1,296 of 2,040
Is there a difference
I have been able to pair the V2+ with the Onkyo DP-X1 using an OTG cable (Eventhough both ends of the OTG cable looks the same, it seems there is only one way it would work). 

I was also able to get it to work with my Iphone with an expensive cable from Ebay ($110).  It sounds awesome no matter the source ... 
Is there a difference in the sound from the iPhone to the dp? Which sounds the best to you? I think it's cool you got that rascal!!

Aug 20, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #1,297 of 2,040
Anyone got Native DSD working yet? 

What's the secret? 

This quotes "it has to play real 32 bit / 384 kHz PCM audio and DSD128 natively."

It's possible, of course, that Windows doesn't support this, but I'd assumed the driver would.
Regards,

Aug 20, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #1,298 of 2,040

What's the secret? 

This quotes "it has to play real 32 bit / 384 kHz PCM audio and DSD128 natively."

It's possible, of course, that Windows doesn't support this, but I'd assumed the driver would.
Regards,

I believe there will be a subsequent firmware release that will allow native DSD.

Aug 20, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #1,300 of 2,040
Is there a difference
Is there a difference in the sound from the iPhone to the dp? Which sounds the best to you? I think it's cool you got that rascal!!

No difference that I could notice !!!  Bouth sounded amazing!!!  And I did compare same tracks and on both devices ...

The biggest difference is that on the Onkyo I can carry 464Gb of music and I can try to come up with nice/clean way of permanently connecting it to the V2+ (looking for ideas).  

In the end, I will not use the $110 cable I've ordered to connect the iPhone to the V2+ and will sell it (bought it on Ebay before deciding to get the Onkyo). 

Aug 20, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #1,301 of 2,040

What's the secret? 

Regards,

I did ...  What "Native" means is that the V2+ doesn't conver DSD files to PCM before transforming it to analog (a lot of old DACs do that).

Based on my limited knowledge, this is how it works with my PC as the Source:

PC DSD is read ===>  DoP transport the exact DSD payload read over PCM ==>  DAC receive the PCM payload and reassemble the original DSD payload transfered ==> V2+ DAC converts it to Analog

or

MUSIC.DSF is read on PC  ===>  MUSIC.DSF is transfered using PCM as the transport but it not converted to PCM  ==>  MUSIC.DSF inside V2+ ==> Analog sound

In other words, using DoP, you are still playing the native/original DSD file on your DAC.  That transport method does not degrade the original payload! What it does is use the PCM as the transport layer/carrier. 

Analogy:

PCM = Ford Tundra
DSD = Large Truck

Large Truck is loaded at the PC  ==>   We Break that Large truck in 10 Ford Tundra loads ==>  DAC receives the 10 Ford Tundra loads and put it back into a Large Truck  ==> Conversion to Analog is processed.

Hope this helps and anyone feel free to correct if my limited knowledge is incorrect ... 

Aug 20, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #1,302 of 2,040
I believe there will be a subsequent firmware release that will allow native DSD.

Using Adobe Audition the maximum output format for the V2+ is shown to be 32 bits and 192000 Hz. Jriver 21 won't play anything above DoP at 24 bits and 176000 Hz.

A week ago I opened a support ticket to verify the Windows drivers. I have heard nothing since. So much for 24 hour response. I think the current drivers do not support DSD.

Aug 20, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #1,304 of 2,040
Using Adobe Audition the maximum output format for the V2+ is shown to be 32 bits and 192000 Hz. Jriver 21 won't play anything above DoP at 24 bits and 176000 Hz.

A week ago I opened a support ticket to verify the Windows drivers. I have heard nothing since. So much for 24 hour response. I think the current drivers do not support DSD.

Using JRiver 22 on Windows 10 and I'm able to upsample everything to 2xDSD over DoP, essentially DSD 128 (Bit depth is 32 bit Integer and sample rate is 352800 Hz).

Aug 20, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #1,305 of 2,040
I've upgraded to JRiver 22 on Windows 10 (thanks Germay0653, I did not know it was out) and got the ASIO Driver working perfectly!  I am using JRiver 22, Latest ASIO Driver and DoP. 

I think I see what CBX1 was saying though ... He is saying that rates above 352,800 Hz are being downsampled to 352,800 Hz:

JRiver 22:

LH Control Panel:

DSD128 files that are 5.6 MHz are being played at 352,800 Hz or 1xDSD ...   I believe that's the issue CBX1 was raising and I agree with him!  I will keep trying different things here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back