LH Labs Geek Out v2+ Discussion Thread
Aug 18, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #1,277 of 2,040
can we use both audio output at the same time?

N0.

That's why they give you that red plug so one output is always plugged to prevent you from plugging in two headphones at once.

The instruction sheet that comes with it also says to never connect both outputs at the same time.

Not sure what might happen, but it's pretty clear it's not advised.

Aug 18, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #1,278 of 2,040
The with the red plug is for balanced connection. If you plug a regular jack in that hole it's possible to damage the unit.
The plug for regular and balanced headphones are different in that there is one more black ring on the balanced plug jack. That is a TRRS connection...

Aug 18, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #1,280 of 2,040
I meant to type correctly in my last post. Here goes...
The output with the red plug in it is for use with balanced headphones. The proper jack to insert in this hole has three black bands, and is called a TRRS jack. The case may indicate BAL beside that hole, as it is on the Geek Out V2.
The other hole may be marked SE. This is the one to use with a regular headphone jack with two black bands.
I read on another thread that if you insert a regular (SE) jack into the balanced (BAL) hole it can possibly cause damage.
The reason they inserted the red plug in the balanced hole is to deter users from using the wrong hole, as most headphones are probably not equipped with a balanced (TRRS) jack.
I hope this helps.

In the event you want to share your head-fi music with a friend I would suggest getting a commonly available splitter for use with the SE output hole. You can check the many online retailers for this inexpensive item. 

Aug 18, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #1,281 of 2,040
I recently picked up one of these.

I have a few questions for you guys.
1. What's the usual charging time for the GOv2+? Any idea what is the charging specs? 5V 0.5A?
2. How is your battery life so far?
3. I noticed in the manual, Larry mentioned that you should keep the unit on whilst it charges to keep the components warm for optimal sound. I've tried this myself but my unit just ran out of battery instead. I suspect running current > charging current. Thoughts?

Aug 18, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #1,282 of 2,040
An update on question 1.

I just remembered I had a USB charging monitor lying around somewhere in my room... So I measured the charging specs myself. 5v 1.0A if anyone is curious.

Aug 19, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #1,283 of 2,040
A question for you hifi buffs:

I'm using the v2+, but I don't think I've got JRiver configured properly. There's a JRiver guide for the GOv1 on LHLabs, which I've largely followed, but I don't think I'm getting native 2xDSD working properly. Here are the symptoms:

Genuine 2xDSD .dsf file (purchased). Shows up as 11,289kb/s in the JRiver player/library.
In Audio, I've got bitstream selected. LHLabs WASAPI driver selected
In DSP Studio, I've selected 2xDSD output encoding (needs ASIO and 2xDSD DAC)

BUT
The LHLabs Control Panel shows 352800 Hz
AND the lights on the v2 are:
Lowest (2x) White on
Highest (DSD) Blue on
all others off.

So this might be 2xDSD over 8xDoP (352kHz) ??

There's a Light Harmonic ASIO driver, but when I select that, (in accordance to the JRiver recommendation to have ASIO and 2xDSD DAC), I get ear-splitting mush.
Not just mush, but the Control Panel indicates that the bit rate is now in the DSD range (eg 5.6 MHz), but it's always 2x less (ie divide by 2) relative to the file being played. So the 11.2MHz file gets 'played' (mushed) at 5.6 MHz, the 5.6 MHz file at 2.8 MHz.

Any suggestions?

Aug 19, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #1,284 of 2,040
I have been able to pair the V2+ with the Onkyo DP-X1 using an OTG cable (Eventhough both ends of the OTG cable looks the same, it seems there is only one way it would work). 

I was also able to get it to work with my Iphone with an expensive cable from Ebay ($110).  It sounds awesome no matter the source ... 

Aug 19, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #1,285 of 2,040

I'm using the v2+, but I don't think I've got JRiver configured properly. There's a JRiver guide for the GOv1 on LHLabs, which I've largely followed, but I don't think I'm getting native 2xDSD working properly. Here are the symptoms:

Genuine 2xDSD .dsf file (purchased). Shows up as 11,289kb/s in the JRiver player/library.

BUT
Lowest (2x) White on
Highest (DSD) Blue on
all others off.

There's a Light Harmonic ASIO driver, but when I select that, (in accordance to the JRiver recommendation to have ASIO and 2xDSD DAC), I get ear-splitting mush.
Not just mush, but the Control Panel indicates that the bit rate is now in the DSD range (eg 5.6 MHz), but it's always 2x less (ie divide by 2) relative to the file being played. So the 11.2MHz file gets 'played' (mushed) at 5.6 MHz, the 5.6 MHz file at 2.8 MHz.

Any suggestions?

I can't help you ! But if it is any consolation, I get the same ear-splitting mush with ASIO ... For now, I am only using the WASAPI driver ...

Aug 19, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #1,286 of 2,040
I recently picked up one of these.

I have a few questions for you guys.
1. What's the usual charging time for the GOv2+? Any idea what is the charging specs? 5V 0.5A?
2. How is your battery life so far?
3. I noticed in the manual, Larry mentioned that you should keep the unit on whilst it charges to keep the components warm for optimal sound. I've tried this myself but my unit just ran out of battery instead. I suspect running current > charging current. Thoughts?

I haven't measured the charging time, but I left the V2+ all night playing to burn it in and it lasted a good 11 hours playing FLAC and DSD from my computer to a balanced headphone with low gain (blue).  The charge port was not connected to anything ... After about 11 hours, it just died ... I was able to turn it on again, but it was clear that the battery was empty ... 

Aug 19, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #1,287 of 2,040
Mine died within 24 hours of owning it.  9 days in with the support ticket and no response, no response to emails either.  It's possible they've cut and run with the money based on this behavior, or there's nobody left on the payroll to answer email.

Aug 19, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #1,288 of 2,040

BUT
Lowest (2x) White on
Highest (DSD) Blue on
all others off.

Any suggestions?

Make sure Bitstream is set to Yes (DSD)

Also, to my knowledge, the V2+ cannot decode "native" DSD so you have to select one of the "(1, 2)xDSD over DoP format" options.

Aug 19, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #1,289 of 2,040

Make sure Bitstream is set to Yes (DSD)

Also, to my knowledge, the V2+ cannot decode "native" DSD so you have to select one of the "(1, 2)xDSD over DoP format" options.

I think you are correct ... I've just try "native" with my Onkyo DP-X1 and it was no go :frowning2: All worked fine with DoP!

Aug 19, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #1,290 of 2,040
  Mine died within 24 hours of owning it.  9 days in with the support ticket and no response, no response to emails either.  It's possible they've cut and run with the money based on this behavior, or there's nobody left on the payroll to answer email.

It doesn't turn on at all? Or are you having problems with the computer not detecting it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back