LG V60 ThinQ smartphone
Sep 8, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #436 of 482
I think it is, I use it as my daily player when commuting back/forth from work. LG and my carrier has pushed updates to now I'm using Android 13, which I believe will be the last of the Android updates promised by LG. As mentioned earlier, if you download the NextRadio app, you will be able to receive FM stations once your headphones are plugged in via headphone jack even though my version of the V60 doesn't officially support FM radio.
What model is yours exactly and the internal storage. Thanks

Dec 20, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #437 of 482
Hi.

I am using V35. Will upgrading to V60 provide a significant improvement in sound quality? However, if I switch to V60, losing MQA support will be bad. I have many MQA albums. Renewing them with FLAC is scary. It also won't be a cheap upgrade and will cost me quite a bit. Is this upgrade worth it? Or should I continue with V35? I was a little worried when I read that there was sibilance in the ring tones on the V60 and that it was quite tiring during long listening sessions. There is also another problem. Since AT&T 4G and 5G bands do not work in Europe, I need to install the LM-V600EA version. Will the band problem be solved with the European version? Otherwise, I'll have a V60 with cellular bands not working.

Dec 20, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #438 of 482
Hi.

I am using V35. Will upgrading to V60 provide a significant improvement in sound quality? However, if I switch to V60, losing MQA support will be bad. I have many MQA albums. Renewing them with FLAC is scary. It also won't be a cheap upgrade and will cost me quite a bit. Is this upgrade worth it? Or should I continue with V35? I was a little worried when I read that there was sibilance in the ring tones on the V60 and that it was quite tiring during long listening sessions. There is also another problem. Since AT&T 4G and 5G bands do not work in Europe, I need to install the LM-V600EA version. Will the band problem be solved with the European version? Otherwise, I'll have a V60 with cellular bands not working.
I have V20, V30, V40 and "had" a V50, which sounded so bad I returned it. My V20 is best sounding, but I use it exclusively as a music player. I'll come right out and probably recommend popping for a new V60, as older phones no longer get any kind of system updates and the apk market increasingly sets the Android level higher & higher - I have limited selection with old OS's. This would be especially true if you're using it online & as a daily phone. Oh: the new phones are much faster at doing everything.

Dec 20, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #439 of 482
Bottom line is your v35 has a B&O tuned DAC chip, the v40 and v50 have a Meridian tuned chip, and the monster v60 has a "nothing" tune chip (they kept cutting more and more audio corners as they went on). In my opinion, the earlier phones are going to sound better for audio, because they went to highly regarded sources for the tuning of them.

I think the best phone they've made is the v40 because it was a slightly bigger screen at 6.4" and I prefer the Meridian tuning (and the true enhanced DTS expansion circuit) over the fuller B&O version. The v50 was disaster because it was for Sprint who's now dead and it will not work with anything but a music player.

Dec 20, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #440 of 482
Bottom line is your v35 has a B&O tuned DAC chip, the v40 and v50 have a Meridian tuned chip, and the monster v60 has a "nothing" tune chip (they kept cutting more and more audio corners as they went on). In my opinion, the earlier phones are going to sound better for audio, because they went to highly regarded sources for the tuning of them.

I think the best phone they've made is the v40 because it was a slightly bigger screen at 6.4" and I prefer the Meridian tuning (and the true enhanced DTS expansion circuit) over the fuller B&O version. The v50 was disaster because it was for Sprint who's now dead and it will not work with anything but a music player.
There were also people who said that V35 was tuned to Meridian. Because it was released at the same time as the G7 and Meridian had tuned the G7. If the V35 is tuned by B&O that's better for me. Because they state that the B&O setting has stronger bass. Especially as someone who loves EDM, strong bass is always one step ahead for me. Where did you read that the V35 is B&O tuned? There's someone here who says it's tuned to Meridian.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LgV35/comments/vusl0u/does_the_lg_v35_sounds_better_than_an_lg_g8x/

Dec 20, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #441 of 482
I have a relatively new, old stock AT&T V60 and its sound from the headphone jack is pretty good, a bit upper mid-forwardy but not too bad. I can't compare to the V35 but I'm sure the 35 sounds better. I actually like the sound of the Bluetooth better for some reason, especially when connected to my FiiO BTR5 OG at LDAC. As far as MQA, it doesn't hardware decode but if you use UAPP the MQA add-on will do the first unfold so not a total loss.

But the thing is a beast in daily operations. It is simply the fastest, most responsive, solidly built piece of hardware I own and at Android 13, pretty much an unlimited future for Playstore updates. It's definitely not a DAP killer but its other competencies. for me, outweigh its minor sonic drawbacks. Sorry can't comment on the European bands issue, in fact I just use it on my home WiFi, haven't connected it yet to mobile. I can't emphasize enough the ease of use of this machine. From turn on to first use, maybe 25 seconds, if that, and after that pure speed and fluidity.
Hi.

I am using V35. Will upgrading to V60 provide a significant improvement in sound quality? However, if I switch to V60, losing MQA support will be bad. I have many MQA albums. Renewing them with FLAC is scary. It also won't be a cheap upgrade and will cost me quite a bit. Is this upgrade worth it? Or should I continue with V35? I was a little worried when I read that there was sibilance in the ring tones on the V60 and that it was quite tiring during long listening sessions. There is also another problem. Since AT&T 4G and 5G bands do not work in Europe, I need to install the LM-V600EA version. Will the band problem be solved with the European version? Otherwise, I'll have a V60 with cellular bands not working

Dec 20, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #442 of 482
Where did you read that the V35 is B&O tuned?

Because I've had a v30, v35, v40 and v50... So I'm pretty sure the AT&T-based v35 model was B&O tuned. Think of it as all the 6" screen models are B& O. I doubt that redditor has had all those phones.

At the time I remember Meridian's page making a big deal about tuning the v40 (which jumped to 6.4")-- which is where that deal started.

I directly compare tuning of both phones and for most of the tracks I listen to I prefer the Meridian tuning... but there are definitely a couple that I remember liking the mellower B&O sound.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #443 of 482
I have a relatively new, old stock AT&T V60 and its sound from the headphone jack is pretty good, a bit upper mid-forwardy but not too bad. I can't compare to the V35 but I'm sure the 35 sounds better. I actually like the sound of the Bluetooth better for some reason, especially when connected to my FiiO BTR5 OG at LDAC. As far as MQA, it doesn't hardware decode but if you use UAPP the MQA add-on will do the first unfold so not a total loss.

But the thing is a beast in daily operations. It is simply the fastest, most responsive, solidly built piece of hardware I own and at Android 13, pretty much an unlimited future for Playstore updates. It's definitely not a DAP killer but its other competencies. for me, outweigh its minor sonic drawbacks. Sorry can't comment on the European bands issue, in fact I just use it on my home WiFi, haven't connected it yet to mobile. I can't emphasize enough the ease of use of this machine. From turn on to first use, maybe 25 seconds, if that, and after that pure speed and fluidity.

LG has made restrictions on the screen and microphone in the V60. It used a lower resolution screen and lower quality microphone. Additionally, all models before the V60 used the ES9218P. He used ES9219 in V60. The fact that the screen and microphone have been cropped obviously brings to my mind the possibility that the ES9219 is also a cropped chip compared to the ES9218P. It also abandoned its tuning partners such as Meridian and B&O and used its own tuning on the V60. Perhaps the reason why some users do not like the sound signature is that LG is not as good at tuning as Meridian and B&O. Still, part of me wants the V60. The SD865 is still a very powerful piece of hardware and a significant upgrade compared to the SD845. There is another issue I'm curious about and I'm curious about the answer. How is the gaming performance? I'm playing Call of Duty: Mobile and there is noticeable heating on the V35. I think the SD845 is a little old for this stuff. :) How about V60 with SD865? Are there any performance or heating problems in games?

Dec 20, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #444 of 482
Where did you read that the V35 is B&O tuned?

Because I've had a v30, v35, v40 and v50... So I'm pretty sure the AT&T-based v35 model was B&O tuned. Think of it as all the 6" screen models are B& O. I doubt that redditor has had all those phones.

At the time I remember Meridian's page making a big deal about tuning the v40 (which jumped to 6.4")-- which is where that deal started.

I directly compare tuning of both phones and for most of the tracks I listen to I prefer the Meridian tuning... but there are definitely a couple that I remember liking the mellower B&O sound.
I looked at the GSMArena page and it confirms you. It is stated that it is B&O certified.

https://m.gsmarena.com/lg_v35_thinq-9191.php

Dec 20, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #445 of 482
My big is problem with the v60 was not the audio tuning, it was the monstrous size of the phone :). After being used to the significantly smaller V series, it was like carrying around a tablet when I checked it out!

Dec 20, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #447 of 482
LG has made restrictions on the screen and microphone in the V60. It used a lower resolution screen and lower quality microphone. Additionally, all models before the V60 used the ES9218P. He used ES9219 in V60. The fact that the screen and microphone have been cropped obviously brings to my mind the possibility that the ES9219 is also a cropped chip compared to the ES9218P. It also abandoned its tuning partners such as Meridian and B&O and used its own tuning on the V60. Perhaps the reason why some users do not like the sound signature is that LG is not as good at tuning as Meridian and B&O. Still, part of me wants the V60. The SD865 is still a very powerful piece of hardware and a significant upgrade compared to the SD845. There is another issue I'm curious about and I'm curious about the answer. How is the gaming performance? I'm playing Call of Duty: Mobile and there is noticeable heating on the V35. I think the SD845 is a little old for this stuff. :) How about V60 with SD865? Are there any performance or heating problems in games?
I don't game but from the many youtube reviews I remember that it's pretty well-liked by the community. I think its main drawback is not the most advanced screen engineering but decent enough. The SD865 and RAM are its strengths. Tech Preacher on youtube loves the phone.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 5:31 AM Post #448 of 482
One nuance to this, which I confess I don't fully understand...

I have a V60 here (running Android 10) that cannot play DSD. LG's own music app doesn't
even recognize DSD files, and UAPP can't play them reliably (some seem to playback ok, others are obviously
distorted). I also have a V35 (also running Android 10) that plays all my DSD files just fine via LG's own music player
and via UAPP. I've not yet looked at audioflinger output for either of these, but there's quite a different behavior with
the LG music app on the two phones, both running Android 10. (BTW, the DACs are different - the V60 uses the ES9219 chip.)

Since I'm here, some other thoughts on the V60 vs V35...

V60 Pros:
Better battery life.
A bit faster.
Ok, I'm struggling at this point. Help me out folks. The camera, I guess?

V60 Cons:
It's a ridiculously huge, heavy brick. Seriously, who the **** thought a phone this size was a good idea?
DSD. (It doesn't play at all via LG's music app - and not reliably via 3rd party apps, not even UAPP.)
Under-screen fingerprint sensor isn't reliable.
More than double the output impedance of the V35.

LGV60.png
LGV35.png

You can see comparative measurements here: https://www.hypethesonics.com/dapti-database/
Both phones look great compared to most other DAPs, but bear in mind the above is only
testing 44/16 PCM playback and that the output impedance of the V60 is higher than almost
every other single-ended device here.
It's a shame that progress has to involves one step forward and two steps backwards.
V60 output impedance is more than twice that of V35. Is the output impedance constant regardless of normal or high impedance mode? So, regardless of normal or high impedance, does it all output 0.8 ohms? Because in the test at the address you gave, V35 is seen in AUX mode and V60 is seen in normal mode.

Dec 21, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #449 of 482
Hi, I just got a V60 cause my V50 decided to buy the ranch, but I am hearing something really strange from the V60 and I'm wondering if it's just me.

I have had the V20 and the V50 previously, and I did not notice any major differences between those soundwise. With the V60 though, I am hearing about a 2.8 dB elevation in the 4.1 ~ 7 kHz region that is very negatively affecting playback. I thought it might be nonlinear distortion at first, but I checked the tracks on my PC and the same sounds are there, just much quieter.

What is going on here? From what I gather, LG decided to stop outsourcing the audio tuning after the V50, but this is noticeably tingeing the sound with a metallic feel to it that is not great. I guess I'm going to have to use Wavelet to correct this...

Dec 21, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #450 of 482

I own LG V30+, LG G8X, LG Velvet & LG V60.

V60 -> Best all-rounder flagship phone LG ever made. Period. Daily driver phone with an awesome ES9219 DAC. Phenomenal battery life.

Velvet -> The LG phone with best external design & aesthetics. This phone is a looker and fits like a glove in my hands. Amazing since it has a same sized display that of V60.

G8X -> Very balanced phone, with ES9218P DAC and Meridian tuning. Very musical sounded. Good battery life, best audio performance on Android 10.

V30+ -> The best sounding LG in my ears with ES9218P DAC and B&O tuning. Clarity and transparency are the keywords. Native DSD playback support on Android 9.

The other three phones I use along with my LG for audio:

Vivo NEX S -> Right up there with V30+ and G8X in terms of audio quality, courtesy the inbuilt Cirrus Logic DAC. Mellow sounding, signature Cirrus Logic sound.
Very musical sounding with Snapdragon 845 SoC & 8 GB RAM. Opens up a new dimension with native DSD playback support on Android 10.
Build quality right up there with Velvet.

Meizu 16 -> The best implementation of Qualcomm's flagship audio codec. Qualcomm Aqstic WCD9341. Both Qualcomm & Meizu blew my mind when it came to audio
quality through headphone jack. But this is what is expected from Meizu. Analytical sounding just like V30+, just don't expect to drive huge cans with it.
The most beautiful looking phone, with the best external design & aesthetics among all phones mentioned here. Snapdragon 845 SoC & 8 GB RAM.

iQOO 3 -> Sub-brand of Vivo, gaming centric phone with Snapdragon 865 SoC and 8 GB RAM. Performance wise even beats LG V60, falls short on everything else.
Comes with an audio jack and AKM AK4377A DAC. Signature AKM sound and very musical sounding. However audio quality wise just betters Velvet.
Small but very heavy phone, built like a tank with phenomenal sustained performance.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back