LG V60 ThinQ smartphone
Dec 22, 2023 at 4:45 AM Post #451 of 482
Hi, I just got a V60 cause my V50 decided to buy the ranch, but I am hearing something really strange from the V60 and I'm wondering if it's just me.

I have had the V20 and the V50 previously, and I did not notice any major differences between those soundwise. With the V60 though, I am hearing about a 2.8 dB elevation in the 4.1 ~ 7 kHz region that is very negatively affecting playback. I thought it might be nonlinear distortion at first, but I checked the tracks on my PC and the same sounds are there, just much quieter.

What is going on here? From what I gather, LG decided to stop outsourcing the audio tuning after the V50, but this is noticeably tingeing the sound with a metallic feel to it that is not great. I guess I'm going to have to use Wavelet to correct this...
For V60, how to achieve the best sound : see my posts. Basically, use UAPP as player, change audio driver flag to DIRECT, it will bypass all the filters, working like NOS mode. Then the sound is superb.

The sound is so great, actually I haven't found any DAC that is better than V60.

Maybe I am just crazy, for me V60 in the no filter mode not only kills all other phones, it is also far better than all dongles (Caiyin R6, L&P W2, Blue dragonfly, Chord Mojo ... ...), and also better than formal DACs like Hugo 2, schiit yggy.
Because it sounded both super high resolution high details, but also analog like R2R.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 5:17 AM Post #452 of 482
For V60, how to achieve the best sound : see my posts. Basically, use UAPP as player, change audio driver flag to DIRECT, it will bypass all the filters, working like NOS mode. Then the sound is superb.

The sound is so great, actually I haven't found any DAC that is better than V60.

Maybe I am just crazy, for me V60 in the no filter mode not only kills all other phones, it is also far better than all dongles (Caiyin R6, L&P W2, Blue dragonfly, Chord Mojo ... ...), and also better than formal DACs like Hugo 2, schiit yggy.
Because it is both super high resolution, high details, but also analog like R2R.
I am using Neutron, been using it since V20, and from what I can see it does the same thing as UAPP (which I also have).

I tested this using my QDC V14, which I have the most time listening to on the V50 and PC recently. The difference in FR between the V60 and the V20/V50 is immediate and apparent, distractingly so.

I added a compensation curve via wavelet dropping the elevated region about 4dB and it's much better, but still notably elevated vs the previous iterations. It does sound clearer as a result, but it adds a sheen to audio that sounds unnatural to me. It just seems a bit strange that the V60 notably has this apparent coloration when none of the others did. It doesn't seem to be due to an impedance mismatching issue either because that peak persists using a 75Ω adapter and with my DT 1990.

Dec 22, 2023 at 5:25 AM Post #453 of 482
I am using Neutron, been using it since V20, and from what I can see it does the same thing as UAPP (which I also have).

I tested this using my QDC V14, which I have the most time listening to on the V50 and PC recently. The difference in FR between the V60 and the V20/V50 is immediate and apparent, distractingly so.

I added a compensation curve via wavelet dropping the elevated region about 4dB and it's much better, but still notably elevated vs the previous iterations. It does sound clearer as a result, but it adds a sheen to audio that sounds unnatural to me. It just seems a bit strange that the V60 notably has this apparent coloration when none of the others did. It doesn't seem to be due to an impedance mismatching issue either because that peak persists using a 75Ω adapter and with my DT 1990.
Using UAPP and turn on the DIRECT flag, the result is : go to LG HiFi setting, try switching between the 3 preset filters, you will not hear any change in sound, that means they are all turned off.
Using Neutron, do you observe the same ?

Dec 22, 2023 at 6:12 AM Post #454 of 482
Just tried this, results are interesting.

Changing the filters in Neutron does change the sound, so it seems like you are right because UAPP is unaffected. I compared the two to see if I can match the sound from UAPP because the sound is what I remember from V50. Tried all the options in Neutron to no avail, only thing that works is to turn off hi-fi on Neutron. This reduces volume on UAPP though, so I have to turn hi-fi back on for UAPP.

That pretty much confirms it then, LG screwed up tuning the quad DAC, the hardware seems fine. Thanks for helping out.

Dec 22, 2023 at 8:12 AM Post #455 of 482
I own LG V30+, LG G8X, LG Velvet & LG V60.

V60 -> Best all-rounder flagship phone LG ever made. Period. Daily driver phone with an awesome ES9219 DAC. Phenomenal battery life.

Velvet -> The LG phone with best external design & aesthetics. This phone is a looker and fits like a glove in my hands. Amazing since it has a same sized display that of V60.

G8X -> Very balanced phone, with ES9218P DAC and Meridian tuning. Very musical sounded. Good battery life, best audio performance on Android 10.

V30+ -> The best sounding LG in my ears with ES9218P DAC and B&O tuning. Clarity and transparency are the keywords. Native DSD playback support on Android 9.

The other three phones I use along with my LG for audio:

Vivo NEX S -> Right up there with V30+ and G8X in terms of audio quality, courtesy the inbuilt Cirrus Logic DAC. Mellow sounding, signature Cirrus Logic sound.
Very musical sounding with Snapdragon 845 SoC & 8 GB RAM. Opens up a new dimension with native DSD playback support on Android 10.
Build quality right up there with Velvet.

Meizu 16 -> The best implementation of Qualcomm's flagship audio codec. Qualcomm Aqstic WCD9341. Both Qualcomm & Meizu blew my mind when it came to audio
quality through headphone jack. But this is what is expected from Meizu. Analytical sounding just like V30+, just don't expect to drive huge cans with it.
The most beautiful looking phone, with the best external design & aesthetics among all phones mentioned here. Snapdragon 845 SoC & 8 GB RAM.

iQOO 3 -> Sub-brand of Vivo, gaming centric phone with Snapdragon 865 SoC and 8 GB RAM. Performance wise even beats LG V60, falls short on everything else.
Comes with an audio jack and AKM AK4377A DAC. Signature AKM sound and very musical sounding. However audio quality wise just betters Velvet.
Small but very heavy phone, built like a tank with phenomenal sustained performance.
I have not listened to an LG with Meridian tuning. But audiophiles seem to be divided into two on this issue. From what I've read, those who like more dynamic, fun, stronger bass and brighter trebles prefer the B&O tuning. On the other hand, those who like a more balanced, neutral and reference-closer sound signature prefer the Meridian tuning. Am I wrong?

Dec 23, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #457 of 482
Just tried this, results are interesting.

Changing the filters in Neutron does change the sound, so it seems like you are right because UAPP is unaffected. I compared the two to see if I can match the sound from UAPP because the sound is what I remember from V50. Tried all the options in Neutron to no avail, only thing that works is to turn off hi-fi on Neutron. This reduces volume on UAPP though, so I have to turn hi-fi back on for UAPP.

That pretty much confirms it then, LG screwed up tuning the quad DAC, the hardware seems fine. Thanks for helping out.

What's your impression of the V60's sound, when using UAPP and turned off the filters ?

Dec 29, 2023 at 3:24 AM Post #460 of 482
Now I have to find an unlocked V60 for a good price. My current Pixel 6A isn't all that. Anyone know of a source?
I purcased my LG V60 from aliexpress for 217$.
Now you can get it for even cheaper (160$).
The phone is original and the sound quality is the best I ever heard from a phone.
Great screen, great performance, it even has DisplayPort over type c so I can connect AR glasses to it.
But it's not a new phone, it's refurbished. Also, my battery died after 6 months. I had to replace it and with the "new" battery it's lasting for 6 hours (very bad for a phone).
Also, the fingerprint scanner doesn't work and I can unlock the phone even with my nose.
So if you want to use the phone as a music device then maybe you can consider it.
If you want to use it as your daily phone then I wouldn't recommend you buying from aliexpress.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #461 of 482
https://www.hypethesonics.com/dapti-database/

A detailed sound analysis has been made in this link. I have a few questions I want to ask. Does the output impedance differ depending on the current amplifier mode? Higher or lower? Because V30 and V35 appear to be in AUX mode and both have 0.8 ohm output impedance. Does this value exceed 1 ohm in high impedance mode? Or is the output impedance a constant value that does not change depending on the modes (normal, aux, high impedance)?

@csglinux @Dannemand

Dec 29, 2023 at 11:24 PM Post #462 of 482
very low heating on my LG v60 @ Diablo Immortal game, which is one of the the most taxing mobile games right now i think. Snapdragon 888 5g, those chips are burning at higher temps (Like Sony 888 5g). Also battery stays longer % on LG v60 while playing long sessions than with 888 5g. Only thing i am waiting for, is 5G mmwave in the country. Then maybe Verizon v60 will unlock all NR internet speeds...

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #463 of 482
I got my LG v60TM 256GB from eBay brand new from a great seller.The phone is from TM and came with android 11, but I managed to update to android 13. Amazing battery life and fantastic sound both music and movies with AKG K702.
I would say it is a great deal and you can still use it easily for another 3 years even if there are no more android or security updates.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #465 of 482
Just received a refurbished V60 sold from Hong Kong. Shipped V600TM A13, first thing i did was enable hifi quad dac setting, lo and behold! No audio from applications! Chrome youtube even gave an audio renderer error. Can hear system ringtone/keyboard sounds though.

My guess is a software issue?

All i’ve done is tried two A10 T-mobile roms, same issue and then upgraded to A11 ver. V600TM20g, and unlocked the bootloader. Still no good.

Bought hifi-up, it shows my Variations are connected as a normal device.

Poweramp free trial, i can play flac hotel california at 24bit 192khz, no resample with hi-res output. In the hi-res output settings the options goes up to 32bit/352.8khz.

A few questions:
1. Since in settings and audio-wise Hifi quad doesnt work, does that mean my phone is running off 1 dac?
2. Poweramp supposedly bypasses the android limitation of 48khz, but hifi quad is still disabled in settings, how come i can get 24/192khz and potentially up to 32/352.8?
3. I heard A14 will remove the kernel limitation on sample rate. I’m subscribed to Apple Music which online research shows allegedly does not bypass the android audio system unlike tidal etc. Would a root be able to bypass this in any way?
4. Have i misunderstood how the quad dac works? Is this only because poweramp is bypassing the system, and if i use apple music i’ll be restricted to output 48khz because hifi quad doesnt work?
5. Rooted to hopefully figure out how to force high-impedance mode so it shows up in the Hifi Up app. Would this change anything at all?

Thank you and apologies if this is silly

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back