LG V60 ThinQ smartphone
Jun 18, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #421 of 486
@musicday There is only one version ov V60 which will fully work in UK including 5G and carrier aggregation and it is the European one LMV600EA or called 60EA - those models are with 256gb storage and we're sold in Italy, Poland and Switzerland.
Partially 5G also will work on US unlocked TMO models, but with no Carrier aggregation in 4g bands.

Jun 18, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #423 of 486
Can this be updated to android 13? Everything works fine? I will look it up. Thanks 👍
Yes it can be updated however no idea what it will bring you more apart from new bugs as LG SW maintenance was outsourced to 3d party vendor more than 2 years ago.
On V60 sadly lot of things do not work as expected - No MQA and no DSD decoding, LDAC volume and random channel distortion bug (audible on sensitive iems) and of course Widevine DRM randomly jumping to L3.

Jun 19, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #424 of 486
@musicday There is only one version ov V60 which will fully work in UK including 5G and carrier aggregation and it is the European one LMV600EA or called 60EA - those models are with 256gb storage and we're sold in Italy, Poland and Switzerland.
Partially 5G also will work on US unlocked TMO models, but with no Carrier aggregation in 4g bands.
why do we need carrier aggregation again?

Jul 31, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #427 of 486
PS. I have mentioned several time in earlier posts, on LG phones using UAPP we can achieve the 4th filter mode: 'no filter'. By pass the filters (Short, Sharp, Slow).
This just feels like Cayin RU6's 'NOS' mode.

Cayin RU6 thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cayin-ru6-r-2r-usb-dongle-dac-with-head-amp.960113 people's preferrence between NOS mode vs OS mode is an on going topic in the thread.

How: in UAPP settings -> Internal HiRes audio -> HiRes driver flags -> check 'Direct' or 'Raw'.

What's special about Cayin RU6's NOS mode, or LG's 'no filter' mode: Better spatial, bass, more details. To me, this mode is the most honest and unprocessed playback of every bit of information in the recording. For great, analog recordings, this mode is the best. For bad, digital recordings, this mode can reveal 'digital feeling'.

LG's filtered mode (Short, Sharp, Slow) are just like Cayin RU6's OS filter modes, they make recordings 'seem like' more analog, more fine grained smooth details, but after long listening the brain always feel something is 'wrong', 'nausea‘. The filter's processing can make bad, digital recording sound better, but for good recordings they are not necessary.

Glad I came across this. I'm modding the V50 dac driver, becaue I found it not to be as good as my V20 and I want to see if there is something I can do about it programatically. My first plan was to disable the filters altogeter. This is becaue it turns out the V20 ES9218 is capable of using filters but if I'm undestading the code correctly this function has been disabled intentionally. The function that populates the registers with the filter numerical data is commented out so is never done.

The differnce I find between the two is the V20 seems to have a better spacial presentation than the V50. If I hadn't been using the V20 for a few years I might not even have noticed. But as it is when I A/B the two I always sense the V20 to be more pleasing. Your post and links are the first indiction I've seen online that I'm on the right track!

There is other stuff in the V50 driver that stands out as well, things that seems to be disabled. NCO mode and HPAQiQ.

eg:

//#define USE_HPAHiQ // THD increased by ~2dB and Power Consumption increasded by ~2mA

The // indicates this is disabled. Whatever those things are I haven't the first clue.

I have still to understand all this THD stuff. There seems to be differnt THD values for different deivce varients i..e, between US and Korean varients. Why that would be I don't know, seems strange. Of course again that is if I'm interpreting the code corrently.

For the time being I'm just trying to build the High Impedance Mode always on no matter what the headphone (but still offable via the tile toggle) as I have done for the V20 recently. There are other ways to do that but don't always work for some apps but doing it in the dac driver fixes that.

So yeah I was doubting what I doing and though maybe it's all in my head but from what you're saying I'm on the right track.

edit:fixed all the typos lol

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #428 of 486
Glad I came across this. I'm modding the V50 dac driver, becaue I found it not to be as good as my V20 and I want to see if there is something I can do about it programatically. My first plan was to disable the filters altogeter. This is becaue it turns out the V20 ES9218 is capable of using filters but if I'm undestading the code correctly this function has been disabled intentionally. The function that populates the registers with the filter numerical data is commend out so is never done.

The differnce I find between the two is the V20 seems to have a better spacial presentation than the V20. If I hadn't been using the V20 for a few years I might not even have noticed. But as it is when I A/B the two I always sense the V20 to be more pleasing. You post and links are the first indiction I've seen online that I'm on the right track!

Thre is other stuff in the V50 driver that stands about as well, things that seems to be disabled. NCO mode and HPAQiQ.

eg:

//#define USE_HPAHiQ // THD increased by ~2dB and Power Consumption increasded by ~2mA

The // indicates this is disabled. Whatever those things are I haven't the first clue.

I have still to understand all this THD stuff. There seems to be differnt THD values for different deivce varients i..e, between US and Korean vareints. Why that would be I don't know, seems strange. Of course again that is if I'm interpreting the code corrently.

For the time being I'm just trying to build the High Impedance Mode always on no matter what the headphone (but still offable via the tile toggle) as I have done for the V20 recently. There are other ways to do that but don't always work for some apps but doing it in the dac driver fixes that.

So yeah I was doubing what I doing and though maybe it's all in my head but from what you're saying I'm on the right track.
Glad I came across this. I'm modding the V50 dac driver, becaue I found it not to be as good as my V20 and I want to see if there is something I can do about it programatically. My first plan was to disable the filters altogeter. This is becaue it turns out the V20 ES9218 is capable of using filters but if I'm undestading the code correctly this function has been disabled intentionally. The function that populates the registers with the filter numerical data is commend out so is never done.

The differnce I find between the two is the V20 seems to have a better spacial presentation than the V20. If I hadn't been using the V20 for a few years I might not even have noticed. But as it is when I A/B the two I always sense the V20 to be more pleasing. You post and links are the first indiction I've seen online that I'm on the right track!

Thre is other stuff in the V50 driver that stands about as well, things that seems to be disabled. NCO mode and HPAQiQ.

eg:

I have still to understand all this THD stuff. There seems to be differnt THD values for different deivce varients i..e, between US and Korean vareints. Why that would be I don't know, seems strange. Of course again that is if I'm interpreting the code corrently.

So yeah I was doubing what I doing and though maybe it's all in my head but from what you're saying I'm on the right track.
Good luck ! I've owned all but the V60, and the V20 still stands out as best-sounding. I'd be afraid to dink with s/w for fear of losing the '20 forever. Not sure we'll ever know the V Series development thread - my biggest issue today is that so little of the apk market works with Android 8.

Jul 31, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #429 of 486
Good luck! I hope soon you will realize that this settings are implemented in the chip directly and can not be controlled via driver - e.g. even force disabling it you will get the filter applied again in the chip, same goes for the impedance switch.

Jul 31, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #430 of 486
Good luck! I hope soon you will realize that this settings are implemented in the chip directly and can not be controlled via driver - e.g. even force disabling it you will get the filter applied again in the chip, same goes for the impedance switch.
I don't know about filters but I'm fairly certain that the Amp Output is adjustable via software. I remember there was a custom ROM for LG G7 that had an option to toggle between "Normal", "High", "External" modes.

Jul 31, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #431 of 486
I don't know about filters but I'm fairly certain that the Amp Output is adjustable via software. I remember there was a custom ROM for LG G7 that had an option to toggle between "Normal", "High", "External" modes.
You are absolutely right that module ported from open source G7 and used from the same dev in his lineage builds even for V50 but it only triggers AMP Output with wrong values not to mention it has nothing to do with the DAC in those builds. My point was that the only working and proper way to disable filters and apply high impedance is only with LG stock which for V50 and V60 is dead end. Anyway, let me stop here with the off-topic discussion.

Jul 31, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #432 of 486
Good luck ! I've owned all but the V60, and the V20 still stands out as best-sounding. I'd be afraid to dink with s/w for fear of losing the '20 forever. Not sure we'll ever know the V Series development thread - my biggest issue today is that so little of the apk market works with Android 8.
Thanks! One variant of the V20, the F800 Korean variant, did get the Android 9 update. I've got 2 of them, one in mint condition. Got lucky in a job lot sale! A9 on V20 is actually quite good, far better than Oreo anyway. I don't see apps being incompatible with A9 for a long time. I use one at home all the time with my new Hifiman he400se. Saves my V50 battery too.

Aug 1, 2023 at 2:22 AM Post #433 of 486
Thanks! One variant of the V20, the F800 Korean variant, did get the Android 9 update. I've got 2 of them, one in mint condition. Got lucky in a job lot sale! A9 on V20 is actually quite good, far better than Oreo anyway. I don't see apps being incompatible with A9 for a long time. I use one at home all the time with my new Hifiman he400se. Saves my V50 battery too.
That's interesting to know: I took all my V's (they're all dedicated music players) offline since I lost the fabulous FM radio when the '20 jumped from Nougat to Oreo. Since I can never recover the radio, maybe it's worth an attempt to Oreo it if LG is still shaking hands with Android on a dead model like this. My 30's & 40 still have that FM, so I've capped them at Pie (I actually sent my '20 in to LG Texas facility to get it re-Nougat'd, but they refused).

Sep 8, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #435 of 486
Moving from V50 to V60 256 GB still worth it? Can get the phone new under £300. I know it has very good battery life. I will be using it for music with my W4 dongle dac.

I think it is, I use it as my daily player when commuting back/forth from work. LG and my carrier has pushed updates to now I'm using Android 13, which I believe will be the last of the Android updates promised by LG. As mentioned earlier, if you download the NextRadio app, you will be able to receive FM stations once your headphones are plugged in via headphone jack even though my version of the V60 doesn't officially support FM radio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back