LG V60 ThinQ smartphone
May 22, 2021 at 2:58 AM Post #241 of 482
There's only really one clear reason for an audible difference between SE and balanced outputs, and that's because, in almost all situations, balanced has twice the output impedance of SE. The change that makes to the sound is a function of the headphone's impedance curve, which can vary wildly from headphone to headphone.
Thanks, I really appreciate this explaination. Makes sense and still stays relative/subjective depending on gear, listener and material.
My problem with Balanced is that it introduces a significant limiting factor on the selection of available sources, cables and headphones. I had my phase of cable rolling but I hear more difference with the right headphones fit then with the different cables or even DAPs (mid Fi onwards at least). What I mean to say - there are so many factors that influence audible music appreciation that it would not be right to limit it to some very specific technical differences in gear only.

May 24, 2021 at 4:42 AM Post #242 of 482
disclaimer, off topic

my most used headphones at moment are Onkyo a800, they are very versatile etc I don't write a review here ;
I own 3 pairs of them then I bought 2 balanced cables for them with time , and then assembled one too on my own ; those cables are different / different cores , and they definitely sound different each one with its strenghts , even after months of use I like all 3 and can't put one of them apart ; then I have 2 SE cables that sound very similar one to the other , if not equal

I have used the balanced solutions the most as they give an edge on character and definition of the sound/music in general ; the SE solution some days/some music is a good choice though , for a ligher listen i.e. (and something else? ) , those days I will choose SE and even going back and forth for comparison those days I will prefer SE

Last edited:
May 24, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #243 of 482
disclaimer, off topic

my most used headphones at moment are Onkyo a800, they are very versatile etc I don't write a review here ;
I own 3 pairs of them then I bought 2 balanced cables for them with time , and then assembled one too on my own ; those cables are different / different cores , and they definitely sound different each one with its strenghts , even after months of use I like all 3 and can't put one of them apart ; then I have 2 SE cables that sound very similar one to the other , if not equal

I have used the balanced solutions the most as they give an edge on character and definition of the sound/music in general ; the SE solution some days/some music is a good choice though , for a ligher listen i.e. (and something else? ) , those days I will choose SE and even going back and forth for comparison those days I will prefer SE
Biggest difference i saw SE vs Bal was on my modest desktop kit. Both on active speakers and cans which, funny enough, are 24 ohm so not really power hungry.

I do agree that SE always tends to sound a bit softer and less forward.

May 24, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #244 of 482
Biggest difference i saw SE vs Bal was on my modest desktop kit. Both on active speakers and cans which, funny enough, are 24 ohm so not really power hungry.

I do agree that SE always tends to sound a bit softer and less forward.
frequently , not always , with an hi quality or hi-end source softer translates -easily- in less defined , or lower-fi ; this is not the only factor building a 'max pleasure' in listening to music , high fidelity is one factor related to plasure in listening whereas other can be equally relevant . My hearing change slightly from day to day , at times is more noticeable.. ears appreciate a change at a point also and this not always or exclusively related to the search for a better quality. My SE days couple well with my need for more casual/easy listening for that days , with softer definition and dynamics ; more or less like loving and training technically for 100m sprint race, but at times loving a casual light run in the grass

going back into topic ,
I have LG v30 v40 and v50, bought them in different times for a need to scale up the phone audio quality , I got them all to good use but the v50 is booked to someone and it is going away soon , it is also the worse of the 3 soundwise for some reasons; I am minding to get a v60 ( ES9219 ) as , even if not all , most of the users report a generally noticeable improved audio quality compared to the previous models .

Last edited:
May 24, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #245 of 482
frequently , not always , with an hi quality or hi-end source softer translates -easily- in less defined , or lower-fi ; this is not the only factor building a 'max pleasure' in listening to music , high fidelity is one factor related to plasure in listening whereas other can be equally relevant . My hearing change slightly from day to day , at time is more noticeable.. ears appreciate a change at a point also and this not always or not exclusively related to the search for a better quality. My SE days couple well with my need for more casual/easy listening for that days , with softer definition and dynamics ; more or less like loving and training technically for 100m sprint race, but at times loving a casual light run in the
Oh i totally agree. Thats why tube amps are so popular. We are also sensitive to different frequencies. Especially upper end frequencies.
Some people dont even like soundstage to be too holographic because they feel like its unrealisting.
While i personally do run all my gear on balanced and high gains. I do tend to stick to warmer iems. So it sort of balances the forwardness of treble out.

So its all about preference and tolerances for certain characteristics.

May 24, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #246 of 482
Oh i totally agree. Thats why tube amps are so popular. We are also sensitive to different frequencies. Especially upper end frequencies.
Some people dont even like soundstage to be too holographic because they feel like its unrealisting.
me i.e. , it is a feature that can add only to some type of music and recordings
most of music wants timbral fidelity decent space excellent dynamics speed in resolution etc to be appreciated at its maximum. But not an holografic soundstage that can even detract from organicity depending on genres . It is a bit different though for speakers , that is why some headphones brands want to imitate them , and others are interested in other aspects ( just to name a fact hedaphones can't build the air of a decently spaced speakers room ..etc ) .

While i personally do run all my gear on balanced and high gains. I do tend to stick to warmer iems. So it sort of balances the forwardness of treble out.
makes sense for many , very high resolution and linearity couples well with some kind warmness in the low end , or darkness in case of Onkyo a800 - there's been a trend in tilting headphones signature towards dark in the last years - if I couple same source I use them with with Grado Hp2 it will have some surprising effects , i.e. holographic-lifelike and perfect timing for acoustic guitars , but in the end also less pleasure for lacking other aspects equally important for enjoying music..
So its all about preference and tolerances for certain characteristics.
I can appreciate only that much a good and precise instruments placement if notes and timbres lack body , thickness and body in instrument rendering is a more important thing that an hyper-precise placement, in my needs of course...someone may disagree on this .
It also changed with age too , there is also hearing memory involved among factors that build the pleasure in listening

Last edited:
May 31, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #247 of 482
Erm, so would I get a better sq out of v50 or v60 ? Don’t really care about mqa but I use Spotify and my own Music files

*edit, just found my answer in post #50, and I own an ES60 too

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #248 of 482
What Bluetooth connectivity does LG V60 has in its lastest firmware under developers options?
Which one gives lowest latency for FPS gaming? TWS+? LHDC? AptX Adaptive? AptX LL? If any of these are in the dev options

I know nothing beats wired.

Jul 8, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #249 of 482
Hi @Mediadroid - What music player app are you using? Have you read this post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/music-apps-tips-and-tricks-for-the-lg-v30.868978/ (2nd spoiler link)? (The thread is about the V30, but unfortunately this issue still applies to the V40, V50 & V60.)
I have the same problem with both of my V60's - one EU version and the other Taiwan. According to this post, it is easy to spot the distortion with the opening part of the song The Last Geisha by Isidor, available on Spotify. I extracted the song to an mp3 and listened directly in UAPP to avoid the android mixer, and the distortion still exists.

For me, the distortion is only audible with IEMs and lower impedance headphones, both in high impedance mode. It goes away if I use a dampener such as the iFi IEMatch. In the previously linked post, the person did some measurements and found what's suspected to be crossover distortion. @csglinux I would be interested in knowing if you experience the same problem with V60 and have any idea what it might be.

Jul 8, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #250 of 482
I have the same problem with both of my V60's - one EU version and the other Taiwan. According to this post, it is easy to spot the distortion with the opening part of the song The Last Geisha by Isidor, available on Spotify. I extracted the song to an mp3 and listened directly in UAPP to avoid the android mixer, and the distortion still exists.

For me, the distortion is only audible with IEMs and lower impedance headphones, both in high impedance mode. It goes away if I use a dampener such as the iFi IEMatch. In the previously linked post, the person did some measurements and found what's suspected to be crossover distortion. @csglinux I would be interested in knowing if you experience the same problem with V60 and have any idea what it might be.
Can you go to UAPP's settings, then 'Internal HiRes audio', then 'HiRes driver audio format' and set it to 32 bit and see if that helps?

Jul 11, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #253 of 482
I agree.

In the end both my LG V30+ & G8X with different output impedance sound equally good albeit completely different sound signatures.

An analogy will be V30+ sounds more like acoustic guitar where as G8X is like an electric guitar.
This analogy helped solidify the decision between the V35 and G8X for me. Thanks

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #255 of 482
I bought a used v40 about 1.5 years ago. This is the most lively LG V thread, and the v40 and v60 seem pretty close - which is why I'm here.

Using TIDAL MQA/UAPP - I tried the 4 quad native DAC, using Senn HD-600, HEX v2, MD-4XX. Even ramping up the volume I found the DAC/amp combo to be very much not to my taste. Very bright and shifting from hyper defined low treble to cloudy definition. Unconvincing bass. I've got DAP's too, I want the best sound using my cell as a streamer.

My reference is my desktop: Schiit Rag 1, Gumby, HE-500, HE-6se.

As I started to read recently that MQA sucks - and studying Qobuz, Apple, Google (I have Prime) - and finding out they all have flaws. But I'm also confusing myself on the Tidal/UAPP settings too.

My desire is: LG v40->Gumby->Ragnarock. bit perfect or non bit perfect w/ digital EQ of at least 6 bands.

Questions: Are there any instrumented files I can run to check things such as depth

Is there actually a list of settings to maximize what I what (so many seem wedded to the quad DAC) - so what I read is mostly not applicable.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back