LG V60 ThinQ smartphone
Feb 3, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #213 of 485
I've been bugging Davy Wentzler (UAPP dev) about these issues I found on the V60 and it looks like we've figured it out. Ok, when I say "we", of course I mean "Davy" :wink: It seems that the V60 is a 32-bit device. Not sure why LG made that jump, but it seems Sony's done the same thing recently. That causes a problem for UAPP in its current default state - not only for DSD, but also for higher-sample-rate PCM. Davy is going to push an update to fix this (look out for UAPP version 5.9.1). In the meantime, V60 owners should go into the settings menu on UAPP, then 'Internal HiRes audio', then 'HiRes driver audio format', change the setting to '32-bit', and just ignore any subsequent warnings from UAPP that your house is about to catch fire and get swallowed by a sinkhole. UAPP seems to be the only way of playing DSD at all on the V60, because the LG music app won't even recognise the file format. Technically, DSD isn't being played back natively on anything under Android 10, but via the V35 (and now the V60) its conversion to PCM sounds absolutely fine to me. For those of you that can really hear the difference, please revisit this post (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lg-v60-thinq-smartphone.926477/post-16135358) and let me know which recording came from which device :wink:

Device B was the (old, 24-bit) V60. That was the easy part. I would love to know if we can get a statistically-significant number of people who can correctly identify the V35 from the (native DSD) V30 :wink:

Feb 7, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #214 of 485
Hi guys, I posted this in the v30 section so I removed it and I'll try here

I have a LG V60 from Bell Canada running v600TM10q firmware. I notice when listening to classical piano, ei. Chopin, with Quad DAC enabled I get noise distortion with some bright and sensitive headphones. I used mdr-7506 and dt-770 250ohm, very easy to hear on the Sony's. I used a signal generator from a binaural beats app and while playing I can clearly hear distortion noise in my left ear mostly. If I move the volume slider up and down, it starts distorting somewhere in the middle or just above my listening level preference. If I turn it up near max it disappears again. Now I hear it all the time playing music and looking around I found other people in Europe experiencing the same thing with 3 different V60s..
Do you guys think this is because how LG tuned the new DAC in the V60? Has anyone else noticed this? I thought I might have a defective device but after reading and confirming with someone last night on the LG discord, it seems this is not just me. I would appreciate any thoughts and info, I don't know of a better place than this for it. Thank you in advance

Feb 7, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #215 of 485
Hi guys, I posted this in the v30 section so I removed it and I'll try here

I have a LG V60 from Bell Canada running v600TM10q firmware. I notice when listening to classical piano, ei. Chopin, with Quad DAC enabled I get noise distortion with some bright and sensitive headphones. I used mdr-7506 and dt-770 250ohm, very easy to hear on the Sony's. I used a signal generator from a binaural beats app and while playing I can clearly hear distortion noise in my left ear mostly. If I move the volume slider up and down, it starts distorting somewhere in the middle or just above my listening level preference. If I turn it up near max it disappears again. Now I hear it all the time playing music and looking around I found other people in Europe experiencing the same thing with 3 different V60s..
Do you guys think this is because how LG tuned the new DAC in the V60? Has anyone else noticed this? I thought I might have a defective device but after reading and confirming with someone last night on the LG discord, it seems this is not just me. I would appreciate any thoughts and info, I don't know of a better place than this for it. Thank you in advance
Hi @Mediadroid - What music player app are you using? Have you read this post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/music-apps-tips-and-tricks-for-the-lg-v30.868978/ (2nd spoiler link)? (The thread is about the V30, but unfortunately this issue still applies to the V40, V50 & V60.)

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 4:46 AM Post #216 of 485
Well then LG V35 seems to be the only odd exception supporting DSD/DoP over Android 10. Please note V35 is a very rare device with very limited regional availability.

LG G6, G7, G8, G8X, V30, V35, V40, V50 all came powered with same ESS ES9218P SABRE audio chip better known as LG QuadDAC.

The very next iteration of V35, the V40 dropped DSD/DoP support after Android 10 update. Why V35 didn't is very strange to me but at the same time is a welcome news to audio lovers.

Yeah, V60 has this ESS ES9219, but I do NOT consider it to be an upgrade over ES9218P.

I think the measured output impedance of headphone jack has more to do with audio tuning house in question rather than hardware. Long time back I went to a Korean website, I don't remember the name now and they were using very high end gear to objectively measure the headphone audio performance of LG QuadDAC model's. I just stored some measurements numbers from there in my Cloud.

The audio measurement gear in question was Audio Precision APX-555. Below are their measured headphone output impedences (lower is better):

------
LG G6
-> ES9218P -> 1.57 ohms
LG V30 -> ES9218P -> 1.10 ohms

-------
LG G7
-> ES9218P -> 1.10 ohms
LG V40 -> ES9218P -> 1.60 ohms

------
LG G8
-> ES9218P -> 1.07 ohms
LG V50 -> ES9218P -> 1.64 ohms
LG G8X -> ES9218P -> 1.55 ohms

First, Bang & Olufsen (B&O) tuned the ES9218P on G6 and improved it further on V30 with an output impedence of 1.10. Then B&O left and LG continued with G7 keeping the high standards.

Meridian Audio then joined and tuned V40 and it fell down to 1.60. This around 1.60 ohms traditon continued with other two models V50 & G8X tuned by Meridian. I highly doubt G8's QuadDAC was tuned by Meridian (just click the link below and you won't found G8) and was rather tuned by LG just like G7, hence a similar value of 1.07.

https://www.meridian-audio.com/about-meridian/meridian-partnerships/lg-mobile/

All models under 32 ohms load produced around 0.4 Vrms, under line out around 1 Vrms and with 300 ohms load around 2 Vrms.

In the end the values are authentic from the website, but the reasoning is hypothetical from my side, so I may be wrong.
Interesting that Amir measured 1.60 ohms for LG G7 too.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...o-measurement-of-lg-g7-thinq-smartphone.4468/
1613554702382.png

Feb 21, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #217 of 485
Well that didn't last long. Davy Wentzler (UAPP dev) has reverted back to the previous 24-bit settings as the auto/default on the V60, apparently because of complaints that 32 bit deteriorated Tidal sound quality. I think this is a mistake, as I'm quite clearly hearing the exact opposite. These differences aren't subtle. Can any V60 Tidal Master users help us out here?

What we're looking to test is 88.2 kHz MQA playback via Tidal within UAPP. (An example of an 88 kHz MQA album would be Taylor Swift's 'Evermore'.) What differences are you hearing when your UAPP HiRes driver audio format settings are 24 bit-packed vs 32 bit?

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #218 of 485
Well that didn't last long. Davy Wentzler (UAPP dev) has reverted back to the previous 24-bit settings as the auto/default on the V60, apparently because of complaints that 32 bit deteriorated Tidal sound quality. I think this is a mistake, as I'm quite clearly hearing the exact opposite. These differences aren't subtle. Can any V60 Tidal Master users help us out here?

What we're looking to test is 88.2 kHz MQA playback via Tidal within UAPP. (An example of an 88 kHz MQA album would be Taylor Swift's 'Evermore'.) What differences are you hearing when your UAPP HiRes driver audio format settings are 24 bit-packed vs 32 bit?
Bump. We really need your help with this one folks! There must be somebody out there with a V60 running UAPP?!
If you don't have Tidal, just grab the following 2L test track: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lu6l43fkbd3gwhv/2L-106_stereo_DXD-352k_MAGNIFICAT_04.flac?dl=0

When playing this back via UAPP on your V60, does it sound better when your 'Internal HiRes audio'->'HiRes driver audio format' is set to 24-bit packed or 32 bit? (N.B. You will need to kill and restart UAPP after making any change to that format setting.) I promise this isn't a trap to prove people can't hear hi-res audio. Try listening at lower volumes and there should be obvious differences. It would be really helpful if you could let us know:

1) Which sounds better to you? 24 bit-packed or 32 bit?
2) Your V60 model number.
3) Which version of Android your V60 is running.

Come on headfiers - you're not usually shy about letting people know which thing sounds better than some other thing :xf_cool:

Feb 25, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #219 of 485
It would be really helpful if you could let us know:

Come on headfiers - you're not usually shy about letting people know which thing sounds better than some other thing :xf_cool:
Confirmed, using your attached flac file to test: 24bit packed and Automatic will cause sound artifacts: discontinued sound, almost unlistenably bad.

32 bit is fine. 16bit is also fine without bug.

2) model: V600TM , us cellular
3) os: V600TM10q

UAPP v5.9.5

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #220 of 485
Confirmed, using your attached flac file to test: 24bit packed and Automatic will cause sound artifacts: discontinued sound, almost unlistenably bad.

32 bit is fine. 16bit is also fine without bug.

2) model: V600TM , us cellular
3) os: V600TM10q

UAPP v5.9.5
Thanks so much @yfei!

Anybody else with a different V60 model or Android version?

Mar 9, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #221 of 485
Bump. We really need your help with this one folks! There must be somebody out there with a V60 running UAPP?!
If you don't have Tidal, just grab the following 2L test track: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lu6l43fkbd3gwhv/2L-106_stereo_DXD-352k_MAGNIFICAT_04.flac?dl=0

When playing this back via UAPP on your V60, does it sound better when your 'Internal HiRes audio'->'HiRes driver audio format' is set to 24-bit packed or 32 bit? (N.B. You will need to kill and restart UAPP after making any change to that format setting.) I promise this isn't a trap to prove people can't hear hi-res audio. Try listening at lower volumes and there should be obvious differences. It would be really helpful if you could let us know:

Hi 32 bit is clearly better sounding. More depth somehow. I prefer 32bit hands down. I tested with Pat Metheny's Road to the sun. My device is Bell Canada, LM-V600TM running V600TM10q

Edit: I didn't realize you were looking for a 88khz file, so I downloaded the attached file and my findings are the same. 32bit is better. 24bit setting introduced some weirdness going from quiet to louder parts like the signal was fading in and out while the track played. Ive heard this before with the official Tidal app and after restarting my device, it seemed to go away. 24bit seems closer somehow, flatter, less of a sound stage in a way. 32bit seems the right fit for me even though I expected to favor 24bit before I compared them. Hope it helps

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 5:25 AM Post #222 of 485
So LG is pulling off of mobile business...
https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/4/22346084/lg-exits-smartphone-business

I have owned v30 for 3 years. And i have lgv60 arriving next week. And i think its a good lightweight alternative to Dap which i think can compete with mid fi daps. Especially with sensitive iems.
So the desicion to pull out of business is sad news. It will just give and impression in mobile market that having jack and quality portable audio is a feature not worth investment.
Honestly v60 seems to cover all my needs while compromising on things?i dont care about.
I dont care about camera or pixel density. And i could not complain about software on v30 really. I found it much more enjoyable google experience than Samsung with its own unbearable bloatware and gimmic voices assistance for example.

While i still moved on to daps such as DX228 moded, DX300, R8. I did also own Sony WM1A a good while ago and for me v30 was better option to be honest but thats another story. for my higher end iems (currenty LX) dap is a must to pull out the best. Especially with balanced outs. But i own some quite decent sounding chifi iems like ISN H40, which is a most comfortable and secure fit universal iem. So combine that with something like V60 and you have an ultimate gym/jogging set up with quality audio. Without a need to drag 400g dap with you. (Yes i do that lol)

anyways, hope we get an alternative soon after LG wrapped up. Enjoy your LGs while they last

Apr 5, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #223 of 485

I have owned v30 for 3 years. And i have lgv60 arriving next week. And i think its a good lightweight alternative to Dap which i think can compete with mid fi daps. Especially with sensitive iems.
So the desicion to pull out of business is sad news. It will just give and impression in mobile market that having jack and quality portable audio is a feature not worth investment.
Honestly v60 seems to cover all my needs while compromising on things?i dont care about.
I dont care about camera or pixel density. And i could not complain about software on v30 really. I found it much more enjoyable google experience than Samsung with its own unbearable bloatware and gimmic voices assistance for example.

While i still moved on to daps such as DX228 moded, DX300, R8. I did also own Sony WM1A a good while ago and for me v30 was better option to be honest but thats another story. for my higher end iems (currenty LX) dap is a must to pull out the best. Especially with balanced outs. But i own some quite decent sounding chifi iems like ISN H40, which is a most comfortable and secure fit universal iem. So combine that with something like V60 and you have an ultimate gym/jogging set up with quality audio. Without a need to drag 400g dap with you. (Yes i do that lol)

anyways, hope we get an alternative soon after LG wrapped up. Enjoy your LGs while they last

That’s unfortunate. Are R8 and dx300 significantly better on balanced with good IEMs? I guess full size cans are much better.

Apr 5, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #224 of 485
Apr 5, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #225 of 485

This is why I got two when they ran the buy one get one free promo. One is sitting unused in a drawer (except to occasionally update and get the T-Mobile Tuesday bonuses. These are unlikely to ever get traded in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back