LG V40 ThinQ

Switching from V30

• Yes

Votes: 47 41.6%
  • No

Votes: 66 58.4%

• Total voters
Aug 14, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #481 of 973
I see the same audio_flinger and logcat outputs as you, both from UAPP and the native Tidal app, so I think all is good. (88.2 kHz * 2 = 176.4 kHz sample rate for the expanded MQA.) I don't think audio_flinger's author paid enough to know what processing the MQA file is actually undergoing. (Remember - unless you pay $$$s to Meridian/MQA, all you get to do with an MQA file is to process it as a slightly degraded, 13-bit, 44 kHz FLAC file.) The only thing we've really confirmed about MQA via UAPP is that it's doing the same processing as Tidal and/or LG's native music app. From my tests, MQA doesn't ever appear to be completely lossless, even when the original sample rates are only 88.2 kHz or 96 kHz. If we wanted to be really anal we could record UAPP and compare FFTs, but all flags look identical, so I'm sure it's working correctly.

thanks for the response. this is reassuring and makes sense as the MQA standard wouldn't necessarily be understood by the underlying OS services.

at any rate, enjoying the hell out this new phone. it sounds great and is able to drive my AKG K7XX without a problem. :)

Aug 16, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #482 of 973
Does anyone know how to disable the LG volume control on UAPP? I have all the settings turned off, under Settings>Volume> USB volume control (none), and all other options under the "Volume" header are unchecked. Still, when I try to use the V40 as a digital source, it starts out with the phone at 3/4 volume and I have to use the volume buttons on the side of the phone to get it up to full line-out gain. It also is claiming bit perfect mode but is still mixing in system sounds.

Aug 16, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #484 of 973
I'm not sure having a big chunk taken out of the screen is an upgrade...
I'm not sure I've ever gotten this argument. The screen is bigger than the V30 and the notification bar had to go somewhere. The hardware has to go somewhere. Had it been a smaller screen to allow the entire tray to fit seamlessly no one would be miffed. Had it been a bigger (taller) screen to accommodate the bar/hardware, it would have been ridiculously tall. The notch allows the notifications to be tucked out of the way, actually increasing the usable screen space. It's a compromise, but one that maximizes the usability of the phone.

Aug 16, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #485 of 973
I'm not sure I've ever gotten this argument. The screen is bigger than the V30 and the notification bar had to go somewhere. The hardware has to go somewhere. Had it been a smaller screen to allow the entire tray to fit seamlessly no one would be miffed. Had it been a bigger (taller) screen to accommodate the bar/hardware, it would have been ridiculously tall. The notch allows the notifications to be tucked out of the way, actually increasing the usable screen space. It's a compromise, but one that maximizes the usability of the phone.
Not to mention that the notch only takes up less than 2% of the entire screen. Never understood this complaint myself. Compromises always have to be made somewhere.

Aug 17, 2019 at 5:19 AM Post #486 of 973
Ive just gone from v30 to v40. In my opinion the screen is a big improvement in colour clarirty, brightness and zero banding. The sound from uapp app through my arcam rhead amp is much fuller and really satisfying. I am a happy chappy

Aug 19, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #487 of 973
Why is it that UAPP is outputting a signal so quiet I have to turn my amp up all the way to hear anything at all? I have the volume maxed out even though the settings say the volume should not be controlled by the phone (it still is). It also says it's bit perfect which I know is an outright lie, since it's still mixing in system sounds. Anyone have an idea What is going on? I have a DAP with USB output and it works just fine, it outputs a digital signal at a gain level that is perfectly acceptable, with the same DAC/amp.

Kinda pissed off that I paid for UAPP with all these settings, only to have it ignore most of them and output a useless signal. Is the app just bypassing half of the user settings? Are these even settings connected to functions or are they just there to make people feel better? I know it is at least ignoring the volume and bitperfect settings completely which makes me think they are just check boxes not connected to any functional code.

edit:, figured it out with the help of UAPP people. every time the phone is plugged in, the hardware volume sliders need to be manually reset to max, after which they will lock in place. only then will UAPP switch to true bitperfect mode and stop allowing me to change the volume from the phone

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #488 of 973
Yesterday I couldn't get UAPP to connect to my Chord Mojo (still working with support on that one), so I decided to plug my ZMF Classic into the V40 to see how they would get along. I really wasn't expecting much, given that the Classics are a T50 mod and these things do soak up quite a bit of power.

Well, color me very, very impressed. Not only does the V40 have the power to drive them to unlistenable volumes, I even had enough headroom to EQ an extra 6dB of bass into the mix. Granted I was pretty close to the max volume, but it still got unlistenably loud. And it actually sounded pretty damn good! I still think the Mojo is superior, it has always impressed me driving the Classics with grace and detail and effortlessness. Mojo handles complex passages with more ease and effortlessness, digs deeper into detail and is just slightly quieter in the background. These are not major differences for sure, though, and I am still extremely impressed at what this phone can do. Bravo!

Edit: UAPP will work with the V40>Chord Mojo combo in bitperfect mode, but I needed to enable USB tweak 2 and set the buffer size to 400 ms under "USB Audio Tweaks". Hopefully someone else will find this information helpful!

Glad to be back to having the Mojo on my side, although I am still extremely impressed with what the V40 can do given the challenging task of driving the T50RP mk3.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #489 of 973
Now Iv'e had the V40 for a few days now...I wonder why I ever put up with any other device for Listening purposes.
It's also a very very nice phone too.
Still impressed with UAPP direct to my Audio Technica Headphones....So much detail

Aug 21, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #491 of 973
I have the G8. Sounds better than NOte 9, but not as good as Fiio M11

Aug 21, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #492 of 973
hey guys new to this thread,

had the lg g7 and so far im not liking the tuning, but everything else seems great, snr ratio, detail retrieval, wide soundstage etc...just wanna ask whats the difference of the meridian tuned lg phone sounds like compared to the b&o tuned? thanks

Aug 21, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #493 of 973
hey guys new to this thread,

had the lg g7 and so far im not liking the tuning, but everything else seems great, snr ratio, detail retrieval, wide soundstage etc...just wanna ask whats the difference of the meridian tuned lg phone sounds like compared to the b&o tuned? thanks
I had the Beoplay 30, now have the Meridian 40. I'm not the best when it comes to description analysis, but I'll give it a shot. The 30 had a more forward and aggressive approach to my ears. The 40 is a bit more laid back, and more musical to my ears. The 40 sounds more airy and a bit less congested. Kind of an attack vs decay type of deal. The 40 has more breathing room, and a touch more distance, opposed to the more in your face character of the 30. The 40 sounds a touch wider with a more enveloping presentation too. There was some talk about the 40 not getting as loud as the 30, but it's just tuned differently. I went back and forth listening to both phones for about 5 weeks, before eventually getting rid of the 30. Some people say that they sound the same, but I highly disagree. If you read through this thread, several pages in the earlier portion talk about this. The 30 was great, but I definitely prefer the 40.

Aug 22, 2019 at 2:07 AM Post #494 of 973
I would say your analysis is pretty spot on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back