LG V40 ThinQ

Switching from V30

• Yes

Votes: 47 42.0%
  • No

Votes: 65 58.0%

• Total voters
Aug 22, 2019 at 3:33 AM Post #496 of 973
I always ran my quad dac filter on enhanced with my 30, so naturally I set the same with my 40 and never gave it a 2nd thought. Big mistake. The sound is much fuller on the natural setting.

Do you mean the "Normal" setting? Thinking of buying the G8 which I assume has most or all of the same options.

LG-V40_Audio-settings-2-300x650.jpg

Aug 22, 2019 at 3:50 AM Post #497 of 973
Do you mean the "Normal" setting? Thinking of buying the G8 which I assume has most or all of the same options.

LG-V40_Audio-settings-2-300x650.jpg
I'm assuming he meant normal. I also ran enhanced on my 30, and started with it on my 40. Normal sounds much better.

Aug 24, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #500 of 973
One question: when volume in the track increases from silence so to speak, the v40 sounds kind of 8 bit like until the loundness of the track reaches a certain level. The same goes for endings, when the volume gets lower. Bizzare, as it is happening mostly with tidal and spotify and not the local tracks. I also notice more noise using my fh7 iems. This all started after I played a 128DSD of The Jazz Side of the Moon. The questiom: is this ok?

Aug 28, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #501 of 973
I had the Beoplay 30, now have the Meridian 40. I'm not the best when it comes to description analysis, but I'll give it a shot. The 30 had a more forward and aggressive approach to my ears. The 40 is a bit more laid back, and more musical to my ears. The 40 sounds more airy and a bit less congested. Kind of an attack vs decay type of deal. The 40 has more breathing room, and a touch more distance, opposed to the more in your face character of the 30. The 40 sounds a touch wider with a more enveloping presentation too. There was some talk about the 40 not getting as loud as the 30, but it's just tuned differently. I went back and forth listening to both phones for about 5 weeks, before eventually getting rid of the 30. Some people say that they sound the same, but I highly disagree. If you read through this thread, several pages in the earlier portion talk about this. The 30 was great, but I definitely prefer the 40.

Is the midrange recessed in the v40 or just the same tuning? also some people say meridian tuned have more quantity in bass is that true?

Aug 28, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #502 of 973
Is the midrange recessed in the v40 or just the same tuning? also some people say meridian tuned have more quantity in bass is that true?
I don't find the mids recessed, and I'm pretty picky about mids. I don't think it has more sub bass per say, but the mid bass is more tactile and sculpted, without any bleed.

Aug 29, 2019 at 3:52 AM Post #503 of 973
How superior would the audio performance of the V40 DAC be in comparison to my current phone, a Samsung S10? In particular, this relates to Tidal.

Aug 29, 2019 at 4:14 AM Post #504 of 973
I would imagine from my experience its streets ahead in detail background noise and clarity

Aug 29, 2019 at 6:27 AM Post #505 of 973
Just bought this phone with LG ph1 speaker free. Cost me £379 in total for the 128gb version. Had the LG G6 quad DAC version originally but went and got an iPhone X as it was a better phone but got fed up with carrying 2 devices everywhere. Looking forward to hearing the difference between the G6 and V40.

Aug 29, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #506 of 973
V40 is leagues ahead of any other phone I've heard (excluding other LG models). Haven't heard the S10 but I'm assuming the audio section was an afterthought like most other phones, rather than a major project and selling point.

I am extremely sensitive to a recessed mid-range, any hint of V shape and I fly into a murderous rage. I don't find the V40 mids to be recessed at all. I haven't heard the V30 so I can't compare, but if anything the V40 has a very slightly warm and natural tuning.

Aug 30, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #507 of 973
I listened to LG V40 and s10 plus side by side today at a store with my Beoplay H6 headphone. On volume matching, I could not say which was which. it was quite similar. V40 has slightly fatter bass and smoother treble on looking too deep. The headphones I mentioned is very revealing, but I will be not surprised if someone finds no difference between them. To say, I find V40 only as a sideways upgdrade to the iPhone Xs output even.

Aug 30, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #508 of 973
I listened to LG V40 and s10 plus side by side today at a store with my Beoplay H6 headphone. On volume matching, I could not say which was which. it was quite similar. V40 has slightly fatter bass and smoother treble on looking too deep. The headphones I mentioned is very revealing, but I will be not surprised if someone finds no difference between them. To say, I find V40 only as a sideways upgdrade to the iPhone Xs output even.
That's likely because you inserted the cable into the H6 1st, and then into the V40. There's a noticeable difference between the two. Both a co worker and my wife have the S10. It's really not bad, but not in the same league.

Aug 30, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #509 of 973
That's likely because you inserted the cable into the H6 1st, and then into the V40. There's a noticeable difference between the two. Both a co worker and my wife have the S10. It's really not bad, but not in the same league.
I really didnt get it! How does inserting cable in any order matter to how it sounds when music is played? I checked s10 plus and v40 not s10. From specs there is a tiny bit of improvement on the s10+ vs the s10. (1db better crosstalk, 1 db better SNR). the v40 can go louder, and thats it to my ears. Again, like I said, loudness matched. Sorry that I mentioned volume matched before. Again, signature is different, but I cannot say one is better than other. V40s mids were more pronounced, but with a eq u can create the same sound on s10 before it clips. To me s10plus was very clean, no less colored in midrange, less bodied compared to v40. That doesnt make it superior, but just sideways upgrade to s10 plus depending on what ur sound preference is.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #510 of 973
I really didnt get it! How does inserting cable in any order matter to how it sounds when music is played? I checked s10 plus and v40 not s10. From specs there is a tiny bit of improvement on the s10+ vs the s10. (1db better crosstalk, 1 db better SNR). the v40 can go louder, and thats it to my ears. Again, like I said, loudness matched. Sorry that I mentioned volume matched before. Again, signature is different, but I cannot say one is better than other. V40s mids were more pronounced, but with a eq u can create the same sound on s10 before it clips. To me s10plus was very clean, no less colored in midrange, less bodied compared to v40. That doesnt make it superior, but just sideways upgrade to s10 plus depending on what ur sound preference is.
Essentially, it's like low, mid and high gain. The 40 will get much louder, in which dynamics greatly improve. In order to put it in mid gain, you have to remove the cable from the headphones, and plug the cable into the phone 1st. LG uses safety measures to prevent hearing and headphone damage. If the headphones have an impedance of 50 ohm or greater, the phone auto kicks into high gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back