LG V40 ThinQ

Switching from V30

• Yes

Votes: 47 41.6%
  • No

Votes: 66 58.4%

• Total voters
Aug 30, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #511 of 973
All of that being said, LG uses better dac chips. They are hand tuned in the 40 by a professional audio company that has been around for a long time. Unfortunately, you likely can't pick up on these details in low gain.

Aug 30, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #512 of 973
Essentially, it's like low, mid and high gain. The 40 will get much louder, in which dynamics greatly improve. In order to put it in mid gain, you have to remove the cable from the headphones, and plug the cable into the phone 1st. LG uses safety measures to prevent hearing and headphone damage. If the headphones have an impedance of 50 ohm or greater, the phone auto kicks into high gain.
the headphones are 32 ohms, but the quad dac was activated, I ha
Essentially, it's like low, mid and high gain. The 40 will get much louder, in which dynamics greatly improve. In order to put it in mid gain, you have to remove the cable from the headphones, and plug the cable into the phone 1st. LG uses safety measures to prevent hearing and headphone damage. If the headphones have an impedance of 50 ohm or greater, the phone auto kicks into high gain.
the headphones is 32 ohms. I had the quad Dac activated. But did not notice the gain. So for a 32 ohms mind gain can be used?

Aug 30, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #513 of 973
The dac is always activated when headphones are plugged in. When you plug your 32 ohm H6 straight in, you are listening in low gain. If you have the opportunity, try it again. This time plug the cable into the phone, before the headphones. There is information all over the internet regarding this.

Aug 30, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #514 of 973
The dac is always activated when headphones are plugged in. When you plug your 32 ohm H6 straight in, you are listening in low gain. If you have the opportunity, try it again. This time plug the cable into the phone, before the headphones. There is information all over the internet regarding this.
will go to the stores other branch tmw :wink:

Aug 31, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #516 of 973
Mine is on the way. After owning several DAPs, got tired of carrying a separate DAP and a phone. So, I asked myself how would LG's multimedia phone perform as one unit for both? Will find out.

Main reason for it is, regular phones (at least my Galaxy 8) doesn't drive dynamic driver iems hard enough and I hope the amps on the 40 is very strong ti driver dynamic driver iems to full potential.

Another reason is the OLED display. I need an OLED display as I've been using Samsung for years and can't go back to LCD.

Also, I heard LG V50 is pretty much a V40 with 5G and updated processor.

Thank you @csglinux for your posting to find out Tidal works bit-perfect through Usb audio player pro app! I'm all set then.

One function I wish these phone had is being able to use these phones as USB DAC. I guess in certain cases this problem can be solved with connecting the phone under the network where the music files are, but this isn't always the solution outside the home network. I would prefer to connect any computer via usb and use the Windows interface/software for music, like Tidal app on the PC.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #517 of 973
Got mine yesterday and so far i'm impressed. Comparing it to a LG G6 (quad DAC) and iPhone X it seems a good phone but as a music player it blows both phones out of the water! Much better phone than the G6 but on a par with the iphone for my usage. Camera doesn't seem as good as the iphone but will test some more. I love the sound though!

Sep 1, 2019 at 3:17 AM Post #518 of 973
Anyone know if the master logo on Tidal should be orange or blue? I thought this phone could do full unfolding of tidal masters?

Sep 1, 2019 at 5:13 AM Post #519 of 973
Anyone know if the master logo on Tidal should be orange or blue? I thought this phone could do full unfolding of tidal masters?
Orange

Sep 1, 2019 at 5:58 AM Post #520 of 973

Brill, thanks for that. I seemed to of had it in my head that it should of been blue. Do you know if you still need to purchase the MQA add on in UAPP for this phone?

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #521 of 973
Brill, thanks for that. I seemed to of had it in my head that it should of been blue. Do you know if you still need to purchase the MMA add on in happy for this phone?
Are you using uapp or tidal app?

Sep 1, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #522 of 973
Both atm.

Sep 1, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #523 of 973
Sep 1, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #525 of 973
Do you know if you still need to purchase the MQA add on in UAPP for this phone?
Not anymore. A recent update fixed this for Android Pie. For all recent versions of Android, hardware decoding is available via UAPP without an in-app purchase.

U could have gotten away with a better dap than the v40 for its price if u wanted sound quality better than iPhone.

I'm not sure that's true:

http://soundexpert.org/articles/-/blogs/audio-quality-of-high-end-portable-players

Its possible that some sub-$1000 DAPs might beat the V40 from their balanced-outputs. I'm looking into that. But even there, I suspect it's a close call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back