LG V40 ThinQ

Switching from V30

• Yes

Votes: 47 41.6%
  • No

Votes: 66 58.4%

• Total voters
May 7, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #391 of 973
Just bought the G8. Sounds better than my G6, which is pleasing. I suspect it has a lot of similarities to the V40 and has the Meridian logo on the box.

Interestingly the impedance trick only works if you do it on both channels now.

May 8, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #392 of 973
Hi!
I would not call myself audiophile or anything, I just love music. But of course, I want to experience music in the best way possible considering that I can't afford high-end gear. So my question is this - if I'll be using earphones below 50$ (for now), does the quad DAC on the LG phones are worth it or should I buy something else, say - Google Pixel or Razer Phone?

May 8, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #393 of 973
Hi!
I would not call myself audiophile or anything, I just love music. But of course, I want to experience music in the best way possible considering that I can't afford high-end gear. So my question is this - if I'll be using earphones below 50$ (for now), does the quad DAC on the LG phones are worth it or should I buy something else, say - Google Pixel or Razer Phone?
Well, LG makes good phones. They also happen to have the best audio you can get in a phone. So, even if you're using low-end earphones and you don't hear a difference, there's always the chance that you upgrade your gear later on and you'll have a phone that can rival a lot of DAPs in SQ.

May 9, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #394 of 973
Here is the only solution I have found:

1. Get a cable extender (Male on one side, female on the other)

2. Cut a section of the cable cover in the center of its length (~1"). Try not cut the ground wires wrapped around the two wires on the inside.

3. Sever the two wires inside (not the ground) and strip the ends of the severed parts

4. Solder 10 ohm 1/2 watt resistors between the 2 severed wires. If you only have 1/4 watt, just put 2 resistors between each severed wire. (5% tolerance or better resistors preferred)

5. Make sure to use electrical tape or shrink tubing so the wires don't short.

6. Just plug the headphones into the extender cable Before plugging into the Phone. Otherwise it will go into Aux mode.

I thought about buying a 50 or 80 ohm converter, but it would probably lose volume and change response. 10 ohm is all the 400i's need (or less).

Enjoy!!

Additionally: If you still desire more volume, once in 50ohm mode you can turn up the preamp slider within UAPP or HibyMusic player's equalizer. (In regular mode the phone would automatically reset the slider like it had a failsafe to protect our ears.)

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #395 of 973
Here is the only solution I have found:

1. Get a cable extender (Male on one side, female on the other)

2. Cut a section of the cable cover in the center of its length (~1"). Try not cut the ground wires wrapped around the two wires on the inside.

3. Sever the two wires inside (not the ground) and strip the ends of the severed parts

4. Solder 10 ohm 1/2 watt resistors between the 2 severed wires. If you only have 1/4 watt, just put 2 resistors between each severed wire. (5% tolerance or better resistors preferred)

5. Make sure to use electrical tape or shrink tubing so the wires don't short.

6. Just plug the headphones into the extender cable Before plugging into the Phone. Otherwise it will go into Aux mode.

I thought about buying a 50 or 80 ohm converter, but it would probably lose volume and change response. 10 ohm is all the 400i's need (or less).

Enjoy!!

Additionally: If you still desire more volume, once in 50ohm mode you can turn up the preamp slider within UAPP or HibyMusic player's equalizer. (In regular mode the phone would automatically reset the slider like it had a failsafe to protect our ears.)

I may be misunderstanding, but this looks wrong. It will increase crosstalk.

For high impedance mode you need 550>R>50 ohms to ground to do this.

May 10, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #396 of 973
I may be misunderstanding, but this looks wrong. It will increase crosstalk.

For high impedance mode you need 550>R>50 ohms to ground to do this.
I don't think he's bridging the L & R channels. His step 4 seems to suggest the resistors are in series. I suspect what he's doing is adding 10 Ohm to a headphone that is already, say, 41 Ohm, so 41+10>50 and this would indeed trigger high-impedance mode. but this wouldn't work for low-impedance headphones such as the SE846, because they're only around 8 Ohm to begin with. And you really don't want to leave any kind of resistor permanently in series with low-z headphones, because you'll change their frequency response. If you desperately need high-impedance mode, the better option is to use a passive (non-resistive male-to-female) cable extender with some dummy high-impedance device which you can then unplug (leaving the other end of the cable still plugged into the V40) before plugging in your headphones to the end of that cable adapter. Detailed instructions were posted by @ra990:

https://imgur.com/a/53lKd

P.S. You might actually need to have your headphones plugged into that high-impedance adapter before plugging the cable into the phone. Then just remove the high-impedance adapter and plug your phones directly into the cable extender.

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #397 of 973
Hi!
Hi Luca - welcome to headfi :) The V40 would be a great choice. As @McMadface said, you can always upgrade your headphones later. But check out the Zero Audio Carbo Tenore headphones. They're less than $50 and they measure and sound not too far off from the KSE1500 electrostats (which retail for ~$3000USD).

May 21, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #398 of 973
Hey guys, where can I get a good deal on a V40(unlocked) in the US right now?

Think I'm jumping ship from my Huawei P20 Pro. I was really missing the audio out from my V20 already anyway.

Last edited:
May 21, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #399 of 973
I had to replace my V30 which was getting pretty beaten up. It had both the front glass cracked in a corner and the back.
I could have waited for the V50, but I suspect it will cost well over 1000 euros at launch, mainly because of 5G which I'm sure is going to be completely useless and a waste of money for a long time with my carrier.

The V35 is not available in Europe and there is no chance of rooting it, so that's not an option for me.

The G7 is not appealing at all to me. LCD screens are meh and I'm never going to go back from OLED to an LCD.

So I decided to get the EU V40 for around 700 euros which isn't that bad of a price.

As for me V40 has this awful notch. And for that reason V40 is for me unusable. Looks like a cheap iFruit clone, following st..pid Apple design trend.

May 21, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #400 of 973
As for me V40 has this awful notch. And for that reason V40 is for me unusable. Looks like a cheap iFruit clone, following st..pid Apple design trend.

Totally agree.

I have a V30 and have just bought a smashed up V35 for $100 that I'll get fixed up to have a play with. Not interested in rooting it, but I do wish LG would pull their update fingers out.

May 21, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #402 of 973
Another V40 owner here that will also probably be moving to a V50. I do like the V40 a lot, and I can live with the notch (I agree it's a silly iFruit copy, but nowhere near as egregious as ditching the headphone jack and then pretending the reason was lack of space). The two main issues I have with the V40 are its size (it's too big - V30/V35 are a much better size for one-handed use) and its battery life. It looks like the V50 might fix one of these issues(?).

May 23, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #403 of 973
Another V40 owner here that will also probably be moving to a V50. I do like the V40 a lot, and I can live with the notch (I agree it's a silly iFruit copy, but nowhere near as egregious as ditching the headphone jack and then pretending the reason was lack of space). The two main issues I have with the V40 are its size (it's too big - V30/V35 are a much better size for one-handed use) and its battery life. It looks like the V50 might fix one of these issues(?).

Love my V50. Takeaway improvement points.

Much improved screen, love the size. No color shifting or degradation at extreme viewing angles. Colors seem much more accurate. I rate this screen very high quality to my eyes, very pleasing screen i've come across. Lg did an outstanding job tuning and making the right improvements.

Love the dual screen option. I thought it was a bit of a gimmick but there's times it's been useful.

The Meridian tuned is a improvement to my ears compared to the V30. More balanced across the audio frequency spectrum and the options to custom tune/dial in the sound with the added EQ option to your liking is nice. Love the Meridian tuning, sound feels wider, more spacious then on my V30.

Cameras are another area of big improvement both for videos and photos.

Boombox and secondary speaker uptop by the earpiece for more balanced and louder, clearer sound now is fantastic. This phone gets loud for both calls and entertainment enjoyment sound in media.

The fit and finish is very polished. Everything from the dual screen case attachment clip on. Feels like it's a part of the v50 when attached. The quality of the case is made well and feels solid. Screen quality isn't as good on the device but it's good enough to be enjoyable to use.

Last edited:
May 23, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #404 of 973
20190523_084502.jpg
20190523_084314.jpg
20190523_084306.jpg
20190523_084250.jpg
20190523_084213.jpg

Attachments

• 20190523_084211.jpg
    20190523_084211.jpg
    892.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: