LG V40 ThinQ

Switching from V30

• Yes

Votes: 47 41.6%
  • No

Votes: 66 58.4%

• Total voters
Jun 8, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #421 of 973
Is the V40 considerable warmer than the V30? I generally like a bit of warmer sound but the V30 is around 200€ cheaper than the V40 in my country. Do you think that it is worthy to go for the V40 (taking sound only into account)?

Jun 8, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #422 of 973
Is the V40 considerable warmer than the V30? I generally like a bit of warmer sound but the V30 is around 200€ cheaper than the V40 in my country. Do you think that it is worthy to go for the V40 (taking sound only into account)?
Wait few more months and go directly for the V50.
Is a future proof phone after all.

Jun 8, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #424 of 973
The V50 is an option. I never had a good music smartphone and feel so impatient sometimes to get my hands on one, especially now that the V30 is such a good deal (290€ where I live).

You won't be disappointed with the V30 and it's not ugly like the V40/50.

I'm hoping the V60 gets LG back on track as I refuse to look at a notch.

Jun 9, 2019 at 3:09 AM Post #425 of 973
You won't be disappointed with the V30 and it's not ugly like the V40/50.

I'm hoping the V60 gets LG back on track as I refuse to look at a notch.
The notch can be hidden most of the time and now it doesn't bother me anymore as it did at the begining. And is not as ugly in real life as the hole in the screen seen on the S10+.

Jun 19, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #427 of 973
...and the best news is that the V40 sounds noticeably smoother. I just am not a huge fan of the also noticeable size difference. But they do put it to good use with a better sounding speaker chamber.

For me, I get better reception in my fringe area with my carrier V40 than my mint Moroccan Blue unlocked souped-up V30S, so i'll probably begrudgingly sell that soon.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #431 of 973
I have the LG V40 for a while now and really like it! Obviously the DAC is one of my favorite features. I routinely use the USB output directly to the USB input on my car amp! SQ is great, but I have a few concerns/questions if someone can help me with....

Local files:

First, for local files (mostly CD WAV files 16/44k, a few AIFF, DSD's) I use HiBy Music player. For the most part its excellent! I have the Exclusive USB option ON, as my understanding is that is what gives it "bit-perfect" output to my amp. Without that, it does something else and re-samples or something?

So first, is the bit-perfect with that option above correct?

Next is streaming:

I use both Spotify and Qobuz. Sure Spotify is limited to 320k (my highest setting) so I dont expect much more out of that. Qobuz is where I have a few concerns or questions! So if I stream a file at say 24 bit and 192k, does their app also use bit-perfect USB output to my amp? I am thinking it does NOT, and thefore its re-sampled or something and not really the same 24/192k SQ any longer! Not sure the details of what is going on there? Does it even use the DAC in my phone, is it limited by the Android 16/44k limit?? If so, would there be any benefit to streaming with their app at that high quality??

General CD quality 16/44k:

I read a post somewhere that even if something is 16/44k, it may still need to be re-sampled to something higher. I may have this all mixed up but hopefully someone can help out here.

Thanks...

Jun 21, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #432 of 973
I have the LG V40 for a while now and really like it! Obviously the DAC is one of my favorite features. I routinely use the USB output directly to the USB input on my car amp! SQ is great, but I have a few concerns/questions if someone can help me with....

Local files:

First, for local files (mostly CD WAV files 16/44k, a few AIFF, DSD's) I use HiBy Music player. For the most part its excellent! I have the Exclusive USB option ON, as my understanding is that is what gives it "bit-perfect" output to my amp. Without that, it does something else and re-samples or something?

So first, is the bit-perfect with that option above correct?

Next is streaming:

I use both Spotify and Qobuz. Sure Spotify is limited to 320k (my highest setting) so I dont expect much more out of that. Qobuz is where I have a few concerns or questions! So if I stream a file at say 24 bit and 192k, does their app also use bit-perfect USB output to my amp? I am thinking it does NOT, and thefore its re-sampled or something and not really the same 24/192k SQ any longer! Not sure the details of what is going on there? Does it even use the DAC in my phone, is it limited by the Android 16/44k limit?? If so, would there be any benefit to streaming with their app at that high quality??

General CD quality 16/44k:

I read a post somewhere that even if something is 16/44k, it may still need to be re-sampled to something higher. I may have this all mixed up but hopefully someone can help out here.

Thanks...

Unfortunately, it's a slightly messy situation now on the V40. If you're using Android 9, all bets are off, because LG screwed around with the APIs and codec flags improved things to the point that most music apps (including their own music player) are not reliably playing anything back bit-perfect anymore, even through the internal DAC. If you're lucky enough to not have jumped to Android Pie, you can use UAPP (USB Audio Player Pro). UAPP not only plays everying through the internal DAC bit-perfect, but it will also allow your V40 to act as a bit-perfect USB transport. Most other apps (including HiBy, Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz) cause the most popular music format (44 kHz PCM) to be up-sampled to 48 kHz via Android's mixer. Check out the foot of this post, as this also applies to the V40: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/music-apps-tips-and-tricks-for-the-lg-v30.868978/

Jun 22, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #433 of 973
Unfortunately, it's a slightly messy situation now on the V40. If you're using Android 9, all bets are off, because LG screwed around with the APIs and codec flags improved things to the point that most music apps (including their own music player) are not reliably playing anything back bit-perfect anymore, even through the internal DAC. If you're lucky enough to not have jumped to Android Pie, you can use UAPP (USB Audio Player Pro). UAPP not only plays everying through the internal DAC bit-perfect, but it will also allow your V40 to act as a bit-perfect USB transport. Most other apps (including HiBy, Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz) cause the most popular music format (44 kHz PCM) to be up-sampled to 48 kHz via Android's mixer. Check out the foot of this post, as this also applies to the V40: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/music-apps-tips-and-tricks-for-the-lg-v30.868978/
Interesting.... So first, I thought the HiBy app was "special" in that it does have the USB output "bit-perfect" from what I can tell ( https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hib...-output-network-and-dropbox-streaming.756884/). Or maybe there are 2 things at play here, the output and the internal processing itself? I would be OK to get UAPP, but figured HiBy was doing the same thing for me and for free. I am still on Andoroid Oreo.

Jun 22, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #434 of 973

UAPP is broken too. It won't play everything properly. It can't set the MQA flag anymore. Not only only that, but when the MQA flag is enabled in the Hires driver options, the QuadDAC won't even work at all.
The whole thing is so messed up that Tidal is unusable. I need to play regular FLAC files with UAPP and MQA FLACs with the Tidal app.
I have to go back to using the V30 until I have time to downgrade the V40 to Oreo. Switching A/B slots to boot Oreo that's still left on the Inactive slot isn't possible either without deleting all user data due to the fact that the encryption format has been changed in the Pie update and Oreo can't read the user data that Pie encrypted.
LG really done goofed. They're done as Hi-Fi Audio phone makers as things stand now.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #435 of 973
Camera app > settings > toggle sound off. (some locations require camera noise by law, though)

Battery life seems fine: from 100% at 7am to 91% at 10 to 6pm. Very light usage today.
I don't have the option to turn the camera sound off when taking pictures.
Any idea how to enable that on the V50? Thank you.
Screenshot_20190623-153707.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back