LG V40 ThinQ

Switching from V30

• Yes

Votes: 47 41.6%
  • No

Votes: 66 58.4%

• Total voters
May 1, 2022 at 11:31 PM Post #916 of 973
The biggest audio difference between the V30 and the V40, other than tuning... Is the V30 doesn't have any of those schlocky settings that can mess with the sound. There's no DTS expansion option & no equalizer...nothing but pure sound from the DAC.

I know from my testing, about 80% of materials sounded better through the v40, but I specifically remember groups like Peter Paul and Mary with their ethereal harmonies sounded had more presence through the V30 with my headphones.

That's why I'm about to pull the trigger on the Fiio M17 beast, that will have the same ESS (but PRO sound).
scottm18, I hear ya. The 9038PRO's will surely yield some great SQ; but, if you haven't spent much time with THX-equipped players, I recommend you check one or two out - I have only experienced soft transients & noticeably squashed dynamic range compared to non-TXH'd. Hopefully, for 1700 smackers they're making the whole package dance !

You hit on one of my prime diff's between V30 & V40: my live recordings sound markedly better (than on just about anything else I've listened in to, so far) on my old V30.

May 2, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #917 of 973
just got v40. do i need to stay on android 9 to be able to use uapp bit perfect playing my 16/44 wav/flac files?
What Kris Kaoss said - you're likely OK with your files, but you might lose the FM RDS radio function (if you even still have it on your model). There are some other interesting boards that have broken down +'s and take-aways when you upgrade to 10. If I'm not mistaken, I believe virtually all V Series natively sample at 16/48 on the way to their DAC, but bit-perfect is retrievable with players like Neutron and USB.

May 3, 2022 at 1:07 AM Post #918 of 973
What Kris Kaoss said - you're likely OK with your files, but you might lose the FM RDS radio function (if you even still have it on your model). There are some other interesting boards that have broken down +'s and take-aways when you upgrade to 10. If I'm not mistaken, I believe virtually all V Series natively sample at 16/48 on the way to their DAC, but bit-perfect is retrievable with players like Neutron and US
LG music player plays in bit perfect mode as far as I know. The other ones capable on doing the bitperfect sampling are UAPP and Neutron App

May 3, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #919 of 973
LG music player plays in bit perfect mode as far as I know. The other ones capable on doing the bitperfect sampling are UAPP and Neutron App

LG Music Player (and most apps on LG Quad DAC phones) do indeed play bit perfect, but only on HiRes tracks (anything 24-bit). 16-bit tracks (including all RedBook 16/44) are played through the Android Mixer which resamples to 48KHz. The exception is MQA 16-bit tracks, which also play bit perfect in LG Music and any other apps that know how to play MQA on LG phones.

I believe only UAPP and Neutron will play other 16-bit tracks bit perfect (again, including RedBook 16/44) since they losslessy convert them to 24-bit.

PowerAmp can be configured to output as 24/44, which I assume will preserve 16/44 bit perfect as well; but it will then convert EVERYTHING to 16/44. I do not have firsthand experience with PowerAmp, though, this is based on reports from other users.

May 5, 2022 at 5:44 AM Post #920 of 973
The biggest audio difference between the V30 and the V40, other than tuning... Is the V30 doesn't have any of those schlocky settings that can mess with the sound. There's no DTS expansion option & no equalizer...nothing but pure sound from the DAC.

Wait, but if one doesn't use these settings they're effectively bypassed, right?

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 5, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #923 of 973
Haven't tried it now, but will pair my ZMF VO with my semi-retired V30 soon.
With my Xperia, it's a nice listen, but still maxed out the volume.

May 5, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #924 of 973
Chris Kaoss, it's indeed encouraging to read you saying music flies through my Neutron program unscathed; however, although I feel I have no need for any digital processing of my files when I listen to my V30, I don't know how to be certain I've avoided everything in the voluminous menu chain in my latest Neutron edition. Sounds seem to be fabulous, but I've encountered a few glitches when I find an obscure effect has unaccountably been switched in. I suspect there's a lotta s/w to meander through before hitting the output jack. [for instance: looking back on 50 years' experience with tone controls & analog equalizers in my music chain, I just don't know how much s/w is still processing my signal even when I've left my "Equalizer Presets" setting at "flat".

I'm not complaining ! Just forever suspicious . . . . .

May 6, 2022 at 4:55 AM Post #925 of 973
LG Music Player (and most apps on LG Quad DAC phones) do indeed play bit perfect, but only on HiRes tracks (anything 24-bit). 16-bit tracks (including all RedBook 16/44) are played through the Android Mixer which resamples to 48KHz. The exception is MQA 16-bit tracks, which also play bit perfect in LG Music and any other apps that know how to play MQA on LG phones.

I believe only UAPP and Neutron will play other 16-bit tracks bit perfect (again, including RedBook 16/44) since they losslessy convert them to 24-bit.

PowerAmp can be configured to output as 24/44, which I assume will preserve 16/44 bit perfect as well; but it will then convert EVERYTHING to 16/44. I do not have firsthand experience with PowerAmp, though, this is based on reports from other users.
Poweramp seems doesn't work well with Quad DACs of LG.

May 6, 2022 at 6:04 AM Post #926 of 973
Chris Kaoss, it's indeed encouraging to read you saying music flies through my Neutron program unscathed; however, although I feel I have no need for any digital processing of my files when I listen to my V30, I don't know how to be certain I've avoided everything in the voluminous menu chain in my latest Neutron edition. Sounds seem to be fabulous, but I've encountered a few glitches when I find an obscure effect has unaccountably been switched in. I suspect there's a lotta s/w to meander through before hitting the output jack. [for instance: looking back on 50 years' experience with tone controls & analog equalizers in my music chain, I just don't know how much s/w is still processing my signal even when I've left my "Equalizer Presets" setting at "flat".

I'm not complaining ! Just forever suspicious . . . . .
Can't add something useful regarding Neutron.
Tested it once, but felt more convinced with UAPP.

But I understand your thoughts well. :)

Jul 14, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #927 of 973
Hi guys, have a question:
I now want to choose between AK Kann Max and ifi Gold Bar. Have them both and comparing them when the Gold Bar is connected to my pc, i find the Gold Bar very close in sq, just slightly lacking naturalness on top.
I bought the LG V40 to pair it with the Gold Bar. Will the v40 send the digital signal from its dedicated dac via usb c to the Gold Bar or it will do it only through the jack output?
The v40 will come tomorrow but im not sure if it will work properly.
Thanx in advance for any advices.

Jul 14, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #928 of 973
Hi guys, have a question:
I now want to choose between AK Kann Max and ifi Gold Bar. Have them both and comparing them when the Gold Bar is connected to my pc, i find the Gold Bar very close in sq, just slightly lacking naturalness on top.
I bought the LG V40 to pair it with the Gold Bar. Will the v40 send the digital signal from its dedicated dac via usb c to the Gold Bar or it will do it only through the jack output?
The v40 will come tomorrow but im not sure if it will work properly.
Thanx in advance for any advices.
The Gold Bar only accepts input via USB. So you'll need the USB C cable from your phone to the iFi to hear anything or to make it work

Jul 14, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #929 of 973
The Gold Bar only accepts input via USB. So you'll need the USB C cable from your phone to the iFi to hear anything or to make it work
Yes, i know that they will be connected via usb c cable but im asking if the lg v40 is able to output digital signal from ESS dacs.
So my question is if the V40 sounds better via usb c than other smartphones? I know it sounds better via jack out (i had the v30). IFI Gold Bar scales very well with better quality digital signal.

Jul 14, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #930 of 973
Yes, i know that they will be connected via usb c cable but im asking if the lg v40 is able to output digital signal from ESS dacs.
So my question is if the V40 sounds better via usb c than other smartphones? I know it sounds better via jack out (i had the v30). IFI Gold Bar scales very well with better quality digital signal.

Thanks for considering our GOld Bar! If I may add, it is a very powerful device that will handle many cans that might be a bit too much for LG V40. Other than this, hopefully someone else chimes in here with some extra info, thanks!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back