LG V40 ThinQ

Switching from V30

• Yes

Votes: 47 41.6%
  • No

Votes: 66 58.4%

• Total voters
Jan 22, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #901 of 973
I have no idea honestly, but xDSD Gryphon is a very different device that's focused on music playback alone and beefier as far as output power goes. Still, a comparison of xDSD Gryphon to that LG smartphone would be interesting :)
Buyed a 1 month used gryphon and waiting to arrive
i hope the gryphone may be used in ldac mode when connected. I was thinking a bug in the lg android 10
I have no hope to use my az60 in this mode

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2022 at 6:52 AM Post #902 of 973
I tried iFi nano before. It is bit warm in my hearing perception.

Most our products are tuned to lean more towards the rich and warm side rather than analytical and resolving, so your observations are accurate :)

Buyed a 1 month used gryphon and waiting to arrive
i hope the gryphone may be used in ldac mode when connected. I was thinking a bug in the lg android 10
I have no hope to use my az60 in this mode

Cool, let us know please how xDSD Gryphon works out for you, but it handles LDAC and HWA/LHDC as long as a tracport paired with it can send such data.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 24, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #903 of 973
I did wind up going for a v60, not too expensive, like it a lot.

Jan 25, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #905 of 973
I don't have MQA files (had TIDAL for a while, but realized between music I'd purchased and radio I liked to stream, I hardly used it). DSD support is nice, but I get that in my music player. The v60 covers my needs just fine.

Jan 27, 2022 at 6:36 AM Post #906 of 973
just got v40. atm having just budget sennheiser hd 201 & soundmagic e11 to try it with. with both of them, the volume isn`t loud enough, so i used adapter cable to trigger aux mode or him mode (still didn`t installed hifi status app) and the loudness is good now. my question is how this adapter cable quality affects general sound quality?

any of you tried koss kph30ik with v40? they are 60 ohm, are they triggering aux or him mode?

Jan 27, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #908 of 973
just got v40. do i need to stay on android 9 to be able to use uapp bit perfect playing my 16/44 wav/flac files?
You're safe to upgrade to 10, unless you want to play some DSDs, I'd say.

Mar 26, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #910 of 973
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe LG V30 was considered as a good sounding smartphone?
Just saw this whilst plying this V40 thread: I have V20, V30 and V40 and, through resolving cans, my sound preference is V20 > V30 > V40. All 3 sound very, very good: I got the V30 when Pie nix'd the fabulous FM radio on my V20, and the V40 for "backup" & to play around online. I relegated the V20 to a common cell phone and expend all effort to keep anything from upgrading my V30, which still has a fab FM. V40 with 8.1 had FM for ATT/TMob, but the one I bought with 9.0 nix'd it on this one, too.

Why FM? I have a handful of great local FM stations that sound absolutely horrible online.

Mar 26, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #912 of 973
You're safe to upgrade to 10, unless you want to play some DSDs, I'd say.

Yes, upgrading to Android 10 will lose native DSD playback. You can still play DSD files but they'll be converted to PCM--which defeats the whole purpose of DSD.

Blame LG or Google (or both) for this mess.

I can confirm this is the case because I have a carrier specific V40 on Android 10 and an unlocked open-carrier V40 still on 9...and my DSD tracks sounds notably superior on the latter device.

Apr 1, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #913 of 973
There is no joy in Mudville: been trying to configure my new V40 as a back-up to my V30. V40 has Pie with Neutron 2.19.5, V30 is on Nougat with Neutron 2.12.5. I've repeated all sound settings that correlate between the two configs, but can't get the V40 SQ up into the same league as the V30. Do any of you think I should chalk this up to Meridian tuning, or has there just been too much s/w mutation of everything over the past few years ?? Or did I maybe miss a config element on the V40 ?

May 1, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #914 of 973
There is no joy in Mudville: been trying to configure my new V40 as a back-up to my V30. V40 has Pie with Neutron 2.19.5, V30 is on Nougat with Neutron 2.12.5. I've repeated all sound settings that correlate between the two configs, but can't get the V40 SQ up into the same league as the V30. Do any of you think I should chalk this up to Meridian tuning, or has there just been too much s/w mutation of everything over the past few years ?? Or did I maybe miss a config element on the V40 ?
As an update, in desperation I just schlepped a brand-new, sealed V30 that has Oreo already embedded. With the same SD music & settings in each, I am unable to bring the new V30 up to my old Nougat audio quality - not quite as compressed & rounded as through the V40, but certainly not a listening alternative until the old one fails. I suspect more is going on here than merely the Android upgrade, but maybe someone else thinks so.

May 1, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #915 of 973
The biggest audio difference between the V30 and the V40, other than tuning... Is the V30 doesn't have any of those schlocky settings that can mess with the sound. There's no DTS expansion option & no equalizer...nothing but pure sound from the DAC.

I know from my testing, about 80% of materials sounded better through the v40, but I specifically remember groups like Peter Paul and Mary with their ethereal harmonies sounded had more presence through the V30 with my headphones.

That's why I'm about to pull the trigger on the Fiio M17 beast, that will have the same ESS (but PRO sound).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back