LG V40 ThinQ

Switching from V30

• Yes

Votes: 47 41.6%
  • No

Votes: 66 58.4%

• Total voters
Oct 12, 2019 at 5:34 AM Post #586 of 973
I've got an 80ohm adapter coming for that but I won't have it for another 2 weeks. Currently using an L-shaped adapter to get it into AUX. I knew it would take a bit of fine-tuning to get to the good stuff and I suppose that's part of the fun. I'm going to have to invest in new tips though as they keep getting left behind in my ears when I try yo take them out!

Dec 1, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #587 of 973
Gentlemen, I have been literally fighting to trick the High Impedance mode since I put my hands on the V10 years ago, I do now know all the possible solutions to do that.

Now I have in front of me my LGV30, my LGV40, a pair of Marshal Mode iem (30ohms) a pair of House of Marley Smile (16ohm) and a pair of Pinnacle P1 (50ohms)

I plug the MM into the LG V30 and does not trigger the 50Ω mode.
I plug the MM into the LG V40 and DOES trigger the 50Ω mode.

I plug the Marleys into the LG V30 and it triggers the Low impedance mode (generic audio device)
I plug the Marleys into the LG V40 and it triggers the Low impedance mode (generic audio device)

I plug the Pinnacle into the LG V30 and DOES trigger the 50Ω mode.
I plug the Pinnacle into the LG V40 and DOES trigger the 50Ω mode.

The results are inescapable, the V30 triggers the High impedance mode at 50ohms while the V40 triggers it at 30ohms. At least my model, European, TIM Carrier.

Is there anyone else who have had success in triggering the high gain mode with sub 50 ohm devices? That would be the "trigger" for me to buy one (excuse the pun)

Dec 1, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #589 of 973
If you add little impedance adoptor between extension adoptor, you can enable high impedance mode. High impedance mode sounds a lot better. Here is specific steps;
1. Headphone code + impedance adoptor + extension adoptor. Then put it to the phone headphone jack. Phone will give you signal that you are connected to high impedance mode (you need to download Hi-Fi Status app to get the signal). However, it is not high impedance mode. You are still in the normal mode.
2. After few second, you just remove impedance adoptor. You still need to leave extension adoptor connected, then connect headphone code to extension adoptor.
Now enjoy the music with full functioning quad DAC!

It sounds complicated, but whole process takes less than 10 second.

Dec 1, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #590 of 973
If you add little impedance adoptor between extension adoptor, you can enable high impedance mode. High impedance mode sounds a lot better. Here is specific steps;
1. Headphone code + impedance adoptor + extension adoptor. Then put it to the phone headphone jack. Phone will give you signal that you are connected to high impedance mode (you need to download Hi-Fi Status app to get the signal). However, it is not high impedance mode. You are still in the normal mode.
2. After few second, you just remove impedance adoptor. You still need to leave extension adoptor connected, then connect headphone code to extension adoptor.
Now enjoy the music with full functioning quad DAC!

It sounds complicated, but whole process takes less than 10 second.
Thanks for the quick reply, but I'm asking about the trigger because I have the LG V30+ and I would be able to change it just for the lower impedance trigger of the V40 in case it actually is 30 ohm.

Dec 1, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #591 of 973
Gentlemen, I have been literally fighting to trick the High Impedance mode since I put my hands on the V10 years ago, I do now know all the possible solutions to do that.

Now I have in front of me my LGV30, my LGV40, a pair of Marshal Mode iem (30ohms) a pair of House of Marley Smile (16ohm) and a pair of Pinnacle P1 (50ohms)

I plug the MM into the LG V30 and does not trigger the 50Ω mode.
I plug the MM into the LG V40 and DOES trigger the 50Ω mode.

I plug the Marleys into the LG V30 and it triggers the Low impedance mode (generic audio device)
I plug the Marleys into the LG V40 and it triggers the Low impedance mode (generic audio device)

I plug the Pinnacle into the LG V30 and DOES trigger the 50Ω mode.
I plug the Pinnacle into the LG V40 and DOES trigger the 50Ω mode.

The results are inescapable, the V30 triggers the High impedance mode at 50ohms while the V40 triggers it at 30ohms. At least my model, European, TIM Carrier.

Is it the V40 V405EBW model?

Dec 1, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #592 of 973
Is there anyone else who have had success in triggering the high gain mode with sub 50 ohm devices? That would be the "trigger" for me to buy one (excuse the pun)
If your headphones have removable cables, just plug the cable into the phone before attaching it to the cans. This will trigger auxiliary mode, which should be enough to drive your headphones. If you want high impedance, you can use a 50+ ohm adapter, or a short Y cable. You will need a 50+ ohm headset when using the Y cable.

Dec 1, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #593 of 973
If your headphones have removable cables, just plug the cable into the phone before attaching it to the cans. This will trigger auxiliary mode, which should be enough to drive your headphones. If you want high impedance, you can use a 50+ ohm adapter, or a short Y cable. You will need a 50+ ohm headset when using the Y cable.
Thank you again guys but what I'm actually asking is if there is anyone else who have gotten the high gain mode trigger for itself with no tricks in 30 ohms as someone else already did.

Dec 1, 2019 at 3:11 PM Post #594 of 973
It seems to be possible with V40, not with V30.

Dec 1, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #596 of 973
Sure, could/ should be way more convenient.
Someone with more knowledge of this would be highly appreciated. :)

Dec 1, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #598 of 973
I have the V40.

I use it with the Sony WH1000xm2 (46 ohm?) and the Campfire Audio Comets (48 ohm?).

According to the LG Hifi Status app, the Sonys trigger HIM - but I have found that this only happens if the headphones are switched on. Sometimes it takes a couple of attempts, plugging in and switching on in a certain order.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to trigger HIM with the Comets, even thought these are 48 ohm.

I don't know why one does it and the other doesn't (but it is annoying).

Dec 1, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #599 of 973
I have the V40.

I use it with the Sony WH1000xm2 (46 ohm?) and the Campfire Audio Comets (48 ohm?).

According to the LG Hifi Status app, the Sonys trigger HIM - but I have found that this only happens if the headphones are switched on. Sometimes it takes a couple of attempts, plugging in and switching on in a certain order.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to trigger HIM with the Comets, even thought these are 48 ohm.

Is it maybe due to the exact version? For example, european versus american versions or something like that? What version do you have?

Dec 1, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #600 of 973
I have the V40.

That's somewhat common with wireless - anc headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back