1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

LG V40 ThinQ

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by all999, Oct 4, 2018.
Tags:
?

Switching from V30

1. Yes

35 vote(s)
    39.3%
  2. No

54 vote(s)
    60.7%
First

Back
28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37
39 40 41
Next

Last
  1. NitePhlight
    this may have been covered earlier in the thread, but when HIM mode is triggered, i'm assuming that the internal digital volume is automatically maxed and you are now controlling hardware volume - correct?

or perhaps when any device is plugged into the headphone jack, when the Quad DAC is triggered, digital volume is automatically maxed?

2. Chris Kaoss
    Thought it's been using hardware volume the whole time, but not sure.

Its locked with uapp by settings on my V30.

3. NitePhlight
    well the reason i ask is because, assuming there is some inherent benefit to always tricking the phone into HIM, if i'm just going to lower the volume to compensate, is there really any point? especially if i'm lowering *digital* volume instead of hardware.

for example my ATH-M50x does not trigger HIM, but i can trick it. i guess the true question here is whether high-gain mode is adding some quality to the amplification other than just volume.

4. Chris Kaoss
    No.
    Its only the amplification.
    It doesn't bother the sound quality at all.

If you like the loudness of your headphones in normal mode, i wouldn't trigger the HIM.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    andrewski likes this.
  5. stuck limo
    Quick notes about my new LG V40:

1. I am hearing exactly what everyone seemed to hear. The sound is more wide, spacious, and laid back. A little more organic....UNFORTUNATELY, I am ALSO hearing veiled details and the midrange seems recessed. The vocals ESPECIALLY are guilty of being recessed and don't sound as vibrant and are somewhat muffled. (regardless of the settings) The V20 so far blows the clarity away on the V40. [running Senn 600]

2. That said, I did put the phone on my Schiit Vali 1 amp and that issue seemed to go away. I hope the burn-in others mentioned happens, because I'm really disappointed with the sound of the phone by itself.
    3. I like the various audio options.
    4. Battery life seems really good so far --- I ran about 9 hours of HD/Ultra HD (FLAC/Hi-Res) on wifi from Amazon Music and was only down to about 76% battery life from 100%. (using Battery Saver)
    5. Phone seems a lot snappier and quicker to respond than my V20.

Will report back to see if anything changes.

6. Danjen22
    I thought the same with vocals at first but now I don't notice that at all. Whether it's because my ears have adjusted to the sound or not I don't know? I definitely prefer this over my LG G6 quad DAC edition which I believe is the same tuning as the V20, but I'm not sure.

7. Chris Kaoss
    Thanks for your impressions.

I'll stick with my V30. :k701smile:

8. stuck limo
    What was the average length of "burn-in" time on the V40 before everyone started liking how it sounded?

9. Chris Kaoss
    Zero, i think. :)

It's more up to your brain than the V40, imo. :wink:

10. Mhog55
    Yeah, I would say it took about as long as it took for my brain to adjust, coming from the 30. Wasn't long, maybe a few weeks tops.

11. NitePhlight
    does anyone know how to disable an incoming call ringtone while headphones are plugged in? this is the bane of my existence right now.

mind you - i am rooted AND have Tasker and for some reason nothing works to just have calls come through without stopping my music and blasting the ringtone in my ears.

HALP?

EDIT: figured it out. volume actions don't work - you have to actually use the Default Ringtone action to change the ringtone to "Silent", then reset it when the profile deactivates.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  12. SilverEars
    I didn't find V40's experience really all that distinguishing enough to be worth it. Unfortunately, the V40 phones have the Sabre treble sound that I find lots of Chinese DAPs tend to sound like. That Sabre treble emphasized fake articulation I didn't like about the audio on these phones. Also, the depth and dynamic sounds can be better as well. The better sounding devices really do better in that department, and these phones do not sound that much different in that department from any other phones.

Also, I didn't find the drive-ability for dynamic drivers to be hard enough as stronger desktop source I use to drive my dynamic drivers better. I think Mojo connected to phones is a significant enough to be worth it as a portable audio solution, but these LG phones really do not have significant enough SQ improvements to be really worth it. Full-sized headphone need much greater drive-ability to sound good. Maybe or portable use, some headphones maybe worth it, but for stuff like 300 ohm Sennheisers or planars, I find that a desktop amp setup drives them properly, and these DAPs/phone devices really can't achieve that.

For dynamic drivers, my laptop basic soundcard drives them harder, and thus sound better.

So, all in all, I personally don't have a reason to keep a device like these. For those want a phone that puts out louder audio, I guess these work ok. If you can get a cheap V30 for a cheap price and don't have a DAP, might be worth it.

I think more of the V40's draw is it's OLED display, but my older S8 has a brighter OLED display. Faster processor might be worth it?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    Chris Kaoss likes this.
  13. Mhog55
    I'm not sure why someone would purchase the 40 with the intention of driving larger, hard to push cans. That being said, it does a fine job of driving cans such as the Sennheiser 660s, and Audioquest Nightowl. As with most daps (until recently), they were made for portable use with portable headphones that don't require a ton of power.
    Sound can always be better, and I respect your subjective opinion. But to say that this phone doesn't sound much different from any other phones is rubbish and misleading.

14. csglinux
    I'm guessing you just wanted something with more output power for your cans? I don't see any evidence of "Sabre glare". These are all into a 32 Ohm load:

Screenshot 2019-09-25 17.37.02.png

Unless you're going to carry a Hugo 2 around with you, I think your plan B is going to have inferior SQ :frowning2: http://soundexpert.org/articles/-/blogs/audio-quality-of-high-end-portable-players

15. SilverEars
    My impression is based on hearing. So, you think if all devices measure flat, they should sound identical? If you've heard enough devices, you should know that's not the case. Also, that response is based on a resistor, correct? That's not a driver load.

If you can't hear the differences, more power to you. A resistor load FR is not going to tell you how the treble sound. I do hear Sabre glare with this device. I have another Sabre based device that doesn't have Sabre glare.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
First

Back
28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37
39 40 41
Next

Last