LG V40 ThinQ

Switching from V30

• Yes

Votes: 47 41.6%
  • No

Votes: 66 58.4%

• Total voters
Sep 25, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #571 of 973
My impression is based on hearing. So, you think if all devices measure flat, they should sound identical? If you've heard enough devices, you should know that's not the case. Also, that response is based on a resistor, correct? That's not a driver load.
Correct. A resistor load. So... perhaps, just maybe, your headphones have something to do with your perception of its sound? :wink:

Sep 25, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #572 of 973
Correct. A resistor load. So... perhaps, just maybe, your headphones have something to do with your perception of its sound? :wink:
Well, if I have multiple devices I've used, and one sounds like the treble is glary, it's the device. So, it's never the device? So, you think all sounds flat if the graph look flat? Is that what you believe?

I'm aware of all the theoretical stuff, multi-BA, impedance interactions, etc.. I've been through many devices over the years, and I know what I'm hearing.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #573 of 973
My impression is based on hearing. So, you think if all devices measure flat, they should sound identical? If you've heard enough devices, you should know that's not the case. Also, that response is based on a resistor, correct? That's not a driver load.

If you can't hear the differences, more power to you. A resistor load FR is not going to tell you how the treble sound. I do hear Sabre glare with this device. I have another Sabre based device that doesn't have Sabre glare.

One Sabre device has 'artifacts' and one Sabre device doesn't, so its 'Sabre glare'? Maybe its just V40 glare? Maybe its reviewer bias? Who knows..?

Sep 25, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #574 of 973
One Sabre device has 'artifacts' and one Sabre device doesn't, so its 'Sabre glare'? Maybe its just V40 glare? Maybe its reviewer bias? Who knows..?
You can call it whatever you want. Expectation bias is thinking there's quad Sabres inside thinking there's some sort sound quality in this device, and steered into thinking so. I could care less if there's quad DAC is inside or whatever LG is advertising, it's all about what I'm hearing out of it.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2019 at 1:26 AM Post #575 of 973
I didn't find V40's experience really all that distinguishing enough to be worth it. Unfortunately, the V40 phones have the Sabre treble sound that I find lots of Chinese DAPs tend to sound like. That Sabre treble emphasized fake articulation I didn't like about the audio on these phones. Also, the depth and dynamic sounds can be better as well. The better sounding devices really do better in that department, and these phones do not sound that much different in that department from any other phones.

Also, I didn't find the drive-ability for dynamic drivers to be hard enough as stronger desktop source I use to drive my dynamic drivers better. I think Mojo connected to phones is a significant enough to be worth it as a portable audio solution, but these LG phones really do not have significant enough SQ improvements to be really worth it. Full-sized headphone need much greater drive-ability to sound good. Maybe or portable use, some headphones maybe worth it, but for stuff like 300 ohm Sennheisers or planars, I find that a desktop amp setup drives them properly, and these DAPs/phone devices really can't achieve that.

For dynamic drivers, my laptop basic soundcard drives them harder, and thus sound better.

So, all in all, I personally don't have a reason to keep a device like these. For those want a phone that puts out louder audio, I guess these work ok. If you can get a cheap V30 for a cheap price and don't have a DAP, might be worth it.

I think more of the V40's draw is it's OLED display, but my older S8 has a brighter OLED display. Faster processor might be worth it?
-------------------------------

:) Sorry ..I don't think you deserve the title, 'SilverEars'. :)
Comparing an LG V30 / 40 to Galaxy S8 is funny. (in sound) (the S8 is the worst sounding phone I've ever heard eg (I could only listen to an A&K XB10)
The current price of the LG V40 at $ 4-500 is just right. Not an extremely good phone (2018). But its sound is better than any! 2019 models. If you don't like Sabre DAC sound, it's a matter of taste.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #576 of 973
I did not have time to read the whole thread so i don't know if this info has already been shared but for some reason the V40 enables the High Impedance Mode when it detects headphones above 30ohms while for the V30 it takes around 50ohms.

Oct 3, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #577 of 973
I did not have time to read the whole thread so i don't know if this info has already been shared but for some reason the V40 enables the High Impedance Mode when it detects headphones above 30ohms while for the V30 it takes around 50ohms.

-----------------
First of all.
Drop the hi-fi status app from the play store.
This also indicates normal (below 50) / Aux (medium pre-gain) / Hig Gain (above 50).
Same method as V10 :) Aux can be seen with a smooth 3.5 extension. HighGain has a 3.5 extension(ebay) and a 75 ohm impedance enhancer( ebay) combined. Phone switches to High, impedance enhance pulls out, (extender stays) Phone stays in High, plug in under 50 earphones .. enjoys :)

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #578 of 973

It can happen from time to time that the phone detection is a bit undecided what to do.
If you unplug the missinterpreted phone and plug it in again, the phone won't getting to him, right?

Encountered this on the V30 too.

Oct 3, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #579 of 973
I just tested my V40 with a resistor box. My unit switches to high-impedance mode at 48 Ohm.

Oct 3, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #580 of 973
Hi @Jorel21 u can try out Westone too. They are quite an established western brand and I have 3 IEMs from them.

There's a lot of good reviews for the Moondrop KXXS, but I don't have it. Though I hope to try it out some day if I have the cash.

I have been using IEMs for the past 15 years for stage monitoring in a band and listening to music and have about 20+ sets of IEM at home, and I used to look down on chinese products as I thought they were of lower QC and quality. I gotta say the past 2 years, the CHIFI gear have really caught up to the midfi western segment.
I used Shure and Westone IEMs previously, but 2 years ago I tried my first chinese product, and I can say I have stopped buying western IEMs since then. The chinese products give much better price to performance ratio if you are not brand conscious. I realized most of the western budget to midfi gear are made in China anyway, short of some TOTL stuff that are made in UK, USA, Germany, but those cost megabucks. In fact all of the Chinese IEMs I bought in the past 2 years are still going strong despite almost daily usage, whereas 2 of my multi driver midfi Westone IEMs died at the cable insertion point within 2 years of purchase, despite me treating them very well, and storing them in cases when not in use.

If I can quote you an example, I got a $35 USD CHIFI IEM, the KZ ZS10 Pro. It gives me subjectively 80% of the sound quality (in details, clarity, instrument separation) of my Westone W30, which costs 10 times more. And this Westone W30 had cable issues as above. I look at it from this angle, that even if a cheap CHIFI IEM has QC issues, I can get 9 more for the same price of 1 western brand IEM, and maybe the other 9 won't have issues.

I think for the TOTL segment, the western brands are still the best, but for budget to midfi segment, I have never looked back since trying out the CHIFI stuff.

Anyway hope u do find your ideal IEM and enjoy the KXXS!

-----------------
First of all.
Drop the hi-fi status app from the play store.
This also indicates normal (below 50) / Aux (medium pre-gain) / Hig Gain (above 50).
Same method as V10 :) Aux can be seen with a smooth 3.5 extension. HighGain has a 3.5 extension(ebay) and a 75 ohm impedance enhancer( ebay) combined. Phone switches to High, extender pulls out, (extender stays) Phone stays in High, plug in under 50 earphones .. enjoys :)

It can happen from time to time that the phone detection is a bit undecided what to do.
If you unplug the missinterpreted phone and plug it in again, the phone won't getting to him, right?

Encountered this on the V30 too.

I just tested my V40 with a resistor box. My unit switches to high-impedance mode at 48 Ohm.

Gentlemen, I have been literally fighting to trick the High Impedance mode since I put my hands on the V10 years ago, I do now know all the possible solutions to do that.

Now I have in front of me my LGV30, my LGV40, a pair of Marshal Mode iem (30ohms) a pair of House of Marley Smile (16ohm) and a pair of Pinnacle P1 (50ohms)

I plug the MM into the LG V30 and does not trigger the 50Ω mode.
I plug the MM into the LG V40 and DOES trigger the 50Ω mode.

I plug the Marleys into the LG V30 and it triggers the Low impedance mode (generic audio device)
I plug the Marleys into the LG V40 and it triggers the Low impedance mode (generic audio device)

I plug the Pinnacle into the LG V30 and DOES trigger the 50Ω mode.
I plug the Pinnacle into the LG V40 and DOES trigger the 50Ω mode.

The results are inescapable, the V30 triggers the High impedance mode at 50ohms while the V40 triggers it at 30ohms. At least my model, European, TIM Carrier.

Screenshot_20191003-205429.png Screenshot_20191003-205442.png

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #581 of 973
I have a pair of Sony wh1000xm2 and they trigger the 50 ohm mode on the v40. I only discovered this after I got the HIFI Status(LG) app. (It does seem to depend on the order in which I connect the cables, and switch on the headphones, but I'm not 100% sure on that.) I understand that these Sony headphones are less than 50 ohms so this bears out what you guys are saying.

Oct 3, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #582 of 973
@Alabama your WH1000 are 46ohm so very close to the 50 ohm "officially" required from the V series smartphones to trigger the High Impedance. What i am saying is that for some reason the V40 (at least the one i own) triggers the High Impedance Mode already at 30 ohms.
Saturday I will receive another IEM which is 32 ohm and i'll test it with both the V30 and V40.

Oct 11, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #583 of 973
just when you think you can't love this phone anymore..

recently picked up a pair of LCD-2 F, beautiful looking cans but didn't expect my existing amp to provide the right juice to hear the magic (~1.5W). nonetheless ODAC (JDS Labs stand-alone) + Gilmore Lite did an admirable job but sounded anemic and perhaps hollow. new DAC/amp is inevitable.

the next test was replacing ODAC with our LG's Quad DAC and run that output to the headlamp. didn't even get that far cause just for lulz I plugged the LCDs directly into the V40... good lord, this device has NO right to sound so good on headphones that are (relatively) challenging to drive with entry level equipment.

i suspect it's the DAC more than the amp cause Gilmore Lite is no pushover. FWIW, I can confirm that LG V40 can handle LCD-2 with class :)

edit: at least the fazor edition which I understand are a bit easier to drive.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #584 of 973
I've just received a pair of Tin Hifi P1s and they are quite disappointing on the V40. I was expecting this to be the case on the basis of the various reviews I've read saying they need a lot of power to get the best out of them. However maybe not quite as bad. My brother has an amp he's going to let me try out to see if it improves things. However, would appreciate any portable amp recommendations for a V40 x P1 pairing. I have been checking out various threads on this point but can't see anything that jumps out.

Edit: I've got them on AUX, changed the tips and ramped up the vol past where I would usually be comfortable and they sound much more immersive. Quite surprised at the difference. I'm going have the Fiio E11 in on Wednesday so looking forward to seeing what that brings.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #585 of 973
Sounds good.
Next step is to take the V40 on HIM to get the best out of the p1.
It'll be worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back