LG V30
Feb 21, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #5,611 of 6,140
If you unplug the cable from the headphone you're in aux mode after plugging in V30. :wink:
Aux mode or high gain mode is a hugh difference.

Exactly!

Aux mode is 1 Vrms max, and essentially the same DAC mode as Normal mode, just with higher AVC setting. High Impedance Mode is 2 Vrms max, and a different DAC mode.

Feb 22, 2020 at 2:13 AM Post #5,612 of 6,140
If you unplug the cable from the headphone you're in aux mode after plugging in V30. :wink:
Aux mode or high gain mode is a hugh difference.

And yes, the v30 is capable of driving the lcd-3, but not properly.
Have tried the Ether 2 in the past and the lcds ahve been an easier load for, i think.
Volume on the ether 2 did't reached the level as with the audezes.
Interesting, thanks for pointing that out. Still if I do this with my K812 which have muddy bass and low volume on normal mode , it definitely makes them louder and fuller sounding, tightening up the bass a lot.

Mar 8, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #5,613 of 6,140
This is a little off topic but...i just ran 3.5 out of my headphone jack to connect to my home receiver aux input and voila, I have high res streaming played through my quad dac pushed to my home speakers. Sounds good to me. Am I missing something? Do I really NOT need to buy a high end streaming device? Lol!

Mar 8, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #5,614 of 6,140
Yes.
You don't have to buy a streaming device. :)

Mar 12, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #5,615 of 6,140
I use my V30 as a standalone player, as I also have the V40.
I use it with Tidal both out of the headphone jack in line out mode into an Arcam rHead amp

I want to try this as I also have an Arcam rHead headphone amp that hasn’t been used for a while. How is line output mode enabled? Do I need to configure anything or does the V30 automatically output in line output mode when an amp is connected to the headphone socket?

I have a 3.5mm to two RCA phone plugs cable that I intend to use as the interconnect.

Mar 12, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #5,616 of 6,140
The V30 enables the aux mode automatically when connected to a > 800ohm device or a non connected cable.
If you want to benefit of 2V output you've to trigger it to high gain mode.

Mar 12, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #5,619 of 6,140
I tried running through a couple of phone pre-amps first, no joy. I have a nice 3.5mm to aux outputs and plugged them into my Marantz AV unit, select that mode, plug the 3.5 into the LGV30, hit play, turn up the volume a bit more than usual but the sound is there, it's clear, it just works. For now, I hold off purchasing a web streamer and amp.

Mar 18, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #5,620 of 6,140
With the Sony mdr-1a, the difference in listening experience between AUX and HIM modes is pretty big. They trigger HIM mode with the original cable with mic. As others have said, audio cables with microphones seem to trigger HIM mode.

The Fidelio X2HR (30 Ohm) also sometimes randomly do and with a cable that has no mic. Go figure.

LG be damned for not putting a software switch for manual HIM mode triggering.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #5,622 of 6,140

Hi All,

I've lurked on the fringes of this crazy hobby for over a decade and I hate to admit it, but spending more money hasnt always given be better results. Suffice to say that I've owned better gear than I own now, but there was always something that niggled me about headphones like the LCD-X (size and weight, mainly), as good as they are sonically in the comfort of one's own room. I dont need to tell any of the longtimers in this hobby how much better the value equation is in 2020 than it was ten years ago, even allowing for the unfortunate position many of us find ourselves in as of April 2020 - better times ahead.

FWIW, today the geek in me is more interested in the explosion in SBC (single board computer) models such as the Raspberry Pi than most audio toys, but I still like to try bargain ChiFi IEMs and anything else that appeals. Most of YT bored me witless but I do watch the audio reviews along with my aforementioned geek obsessions.

Back to the V30, I bought this for several reasons, and audio was important but as I'll explain definitely not the only reason. I'd seen the rave reviews, watched videos from Darko and others but the release price of all the 'V' series here in Australia was outrageous, IMO. When I can buy a laptop for the same price as a phone, I'll take the laptop every time. Fortunately, with new flagships I was able to get the V30+ for a third of what it sold for new here in Oz.- 128GB is plenty for my music collection and I have Spotify Premium for exploring new music. Our dollar is in the toilet atm, so getting old stock at clearout prices is a win for a cheap Charlie like myself.

As attractive as the Quad DAC is with easier to drive headphones, I just don't feel the amp gives me the headroom I desire with several of my (not terribly hard to drive) headphones. Most IEMs are 16-ohm (although I'll admit that the Etys have a reputation for needing a bit more juice) and my fullsize headphones are the usual 32-ohm menagerie. Perhaps I've just grown used to the headroom my Fiio Q1 MkII gives me, or it may well be that I'm going deaf (!), but I don't like getting the 'warning' re hearing loss before I've found the sweet spot on the V30+. I have both Fiio cables incoming - USB-C to micro OTG and 3.5mm audio - options I can play with for very little money. I'm not too fussed about strapping the MKII to the LG - the headphone jack is fine on the rare occasions I'm permitted to leave the isolation of these four walls - but having the two connected via a metre of 3.5mm cable is a little silly for my use case. Pushing the audio to the cheaper DAC in the MKII via the OTG cable is less desirable but I like to explore every option, particularly when Android phones seem to be following Apple down the dongle path en masse.

I wont wax lyrical about the SQ - a well-worn path - and the Head-Fi tradition is to move on to the new toys within a month anyway :)

Happy Trails,

estreeter

V30+ 128GB (LG-H930DS)
https://www.lg.com/au/smartphones/lg-LGH930DS-v30-smartphone (pls ignore the MSRP - the remaining models are much cheaper)

Cables:
https://www.fiio.com/productinfo/53850.html
https://www.fiio.com/productinfo/9572.html

MKII:
https://www.fiio.com/q1mkii

ToDo:
Upgrade Oreo to Pie (purely for LDAC)
Explore better BT with AptX HD and - hopefully - a headphone with LDAC

Apr 20, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #5,623 of 6,140
I was lucky to find a brand new V30 (non refurbished, no box though) for just about $230 and pulled the trigger. I had the V20 in the past and I'm pretty familiar with the SQ and sound signature.

Here rocking the V30 with a pair of BLON BL03. I gotta say though that I'm enjoying more the Blons with my Galaxy S9 hehe. Ironically, the AKG branded IEMs that come with the S9 sound better and more natural coming from the V30, I'm using those while listening to podcast as the voices sound so good and full.

DSC_0459.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back