LG V30
Dec 12, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #5,566 of 6,140
Hmmm. Seems this might not be straightforward after all, for those of us outside the US... Enquiry as to network connectivity beyond T-Mobile system for these phones have not (yet) been responded to,. and in one instance the item simply removed itself from my cart after whoever, I guess, changed the shipping status following my question...also several complaints on this regard found in comments..

Do not buy V30 H932 unless you are going to actively use it on T-Mobile network, and have no intention of using it on other networks -- including internationally.

All T-Mobile models of recent years have been notoriously hard to network unlock (SIM unlock): They can NOT be unlocked with a simple unlock code like all other phones. The only way to unlock them is using the T-Mobile Device Unlock app on the phone, which queries T-Mobile servers to grant unlock. In addition to the phone being paid off (of course) and the account of the original owner being in good standing, the phone must have been active 40 days on T-Mobile postpaid or 1 year on prepaid (with a minimum amount spent). You can Google these requirements.

T-Mobile customer service (including higher tier technical experts) will generally not be able to bypass or fix this: If the Device Unlock app doesn't unlock the phone on first try, you can pretty much forget it. To make matters worse, these phones sometimes lose their unlock (such as after LG repair, or warranty replacements) and it can be almost impossible to get them unlocked again unless you are the original owner and still have your T-Mobile account. (The solution in such cases is to file an FTC complaint, which will escalate the unlock request to T-Mobile Executive Office. These guys can unlock the phone when the rest of T-Mobile cannot -- but of course only if it fulfills all requirements.)

Any 3rd party unlock service who claims to provide unlock codes for T-Mobile phones are either lying or don't know what they're talking about. There are some services who can do it by remotely connecting to the phone through your PC and spoof a request to T-Mobile's unlock servers, but only if the phone is rooted.

Anybody who is not actively a T-Mobile customer should stay far away from these models. There is a reason they are generally cheaper than other models on eBay and elsewhere.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #5,567 of 6,140
Do not buy V30 H932 unless you are going to actively use it on T-Mobile network, and have no intention of using it on other networks -- including internationally.

All T-Mobile models of recent years have been notoriously hard to network unlock (SIM unlock): They can NOT be unlocked with a simple unlock code like all other phones. The only way to unlock them is using the T-Mobile Device Unlock app on the phone, which queries T-Mobile servers to grant unlock. In addition to the phone being paid off (of course) and the account of the original owner being in good standing, the phone must have been active 40 days on T-Mobile postpaid or 1 year on prepaid (with a minimum amount spent). You can Google these requirements.

T-Mobile customer service (including higher tier technical experts) will generally not be able to bypass or fix this: If the Device Unlock app doesn't unlock the phone on first try, you can pretty much forget it. To make matters worse, these phones sometimes lose their unlock (such as after LG repair, or warranty replacements) and it can be almost impossible to get them unlocked again unless you are the original owner and still have your T-Mobile account. (The solution in such cases is to file an FTC complaint, which will escalate the unlock request to T-Mobile Executive Office. These guys can unlock the phone when the rest of T-Mobile cannot -- but of course only if it fulfills all requirements.)

Any 3rd party unlock service who claims to provide unlock codes for T-Mobile phones are either lying or don't know what they're talking about. There are some services who can do it by remotely connecting to the phone through your PC and spoof a request to T-Mobile's unlock servers, but only if the phone is rooted.

Anybody who is not actively a T-Mobile customer should stay far away from these models. There is a reason they are generally cheaper than other models on eBay and elsewhere.

Appreciate very much indeed this lowdown dirty detail! Thank-you muchly... Another head-fier says to aim for the H930, but I've noticed that there are also H932 models designated GSM unlocked. Also, H931? Not to mention some listed as H930DS, if I'm recalling correctly? Oh to make a serenely confident purchase!

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #5,568 of 6,140
Appreciate very much indeed this lowdown dirty detail! Thank-you muchly... Another head-fier says to aim for the H930, but I've noticed that there are also H932 models designated GSM unlocked. Also, H931? Not to mention some listed as H930DS, if I'm recalling correctly? Oh to make a serenely confident purchase!

H932 can indeed be unlocked and used on AT&T (mine is used with Red Pocket GSMA) although not on Sprint or Verizon (who use CDMA). You can buy such an unlocked phone, and it will work overseas, assuming it has the LTE bands you need. I use mine when traveling in Europe. Problem is if it loses that unlock. That happened to me twice after coming back from LG repair, and both times it took a month to sort out with T-Mobile -- even though they completely agree that I fulfill all requirements. If you buy an unlocked phone from a 3rd party, you won't have that benefit.

H930 is the European model. H930DS is the Indian model supporting dual SIM. H931 is the AT&T model, which has slightly different bands from H932, but is also GSM only. Problem with that one is it will only receive updates if you are an active AT&T customer -- and different from other models, it cannot be updated manually by downloading the latest firmware (AT&T doesn't publish them).

To find out if a given model has the LTE bands you need, check on gsmarena (click the specific model) and compare to the LTE bands for each country on Wikipedia.

One huge benefit of V30 is that any model can be converted to any other model for that continent using the Frankenstein procedure. It's not that difficult. So if you buy a VS996 (Verizon) or LS998 (Sprint) or H933 (Canadian) it can be converted to any other North American model. And H930 can be converted to any other European model (I believe to H930DS too, but with some limitations). The exception (again) is T-Mobile H932, which cannot be converted to or from any other model (attempts to do so will brick it).

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #5,569 of 6,140
L adapter + impedance booster 75 ohm = high gain (no root) impedance trick. (Less than 50 ohms)
There is such a power that the Sennheiser HD660s sound good (150ohm). You will be surprised .There are 3 modes that are auto-tuned, this is to be scrambled. normal / aux / high
How does that work? Why L shape adapter and 75ohm another one? Do you unplug which one before plugging headphones?

Dec 16, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #5,571 of 6,140
How does that work? Why L shape adapter and 75ohm another one? Do you unplug which one before plugging headphones?
It depends on the headphones you want to use.
If its less than 50 Ohm, you need a higher ohm adapter or a headphone with >50Ohm to trigger the high gain mode.

With an unforgiving headphone i'm able to hear a decreased sound on aux-mode compared to normal and high gain mode. :frowning2:
That means only an extension cable isn't the best way to fully enjoy the sound from V30, imo.
It's an alternative to increase power output quick and dirty, but it's just half the way.

With a headphone like HD6** with >50 Ohm, you don't need to handle with adapter.
Just plug the headphone to the V30 and you'll get high gain mode instantly. :)

When you've to use a adapter greater 50Ohm, make sure to unplug the adapter from extention cable before you plug in the headphones.
The ohm adapter will alter the frequency response of your headphone!

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #5,572 of 6,140
Any idea what's causing this issue? I get no sound out of any microphone, be it one inside a headset or the phone's own microphone when i plug in anything to 3.5mm. Hifi status app says the headphones without microphone do have a microphone when that isn't true. Switching the quad DAC off doesn't help. Any ideas other than just to factory reset the phone? I bet on a software problem.

Dec 22, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #5,573 of 6,140
Any idea what's causing this issue? I get no sound out of any microphone, be it one inside a headset or the phone's own microphone when i plug in anything to 3.5mm. Hifi status app says the headphones without microphone do have a microphone when that isn't true. Switching the quad DAC off doesn't help. Any ideas other than just to factory reset the phone? I bet on a software problem.

My guess, and it is only a guess is that it may be the headphone socket, try the factory reset first though.

Dec 23, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #5,574 of 6,140
Could anyone point me in the right direction to root my V30 & install Viper4Android? My phone is not locked to any carrier.

Only reason for a system wide EQ is when using Soundcloud or Pocket Casts. I am using Poweramp Pro for locally saved music.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2019 at 12:16 AM Post #5,575 of 6,140
Could anyone point me in the right direction to root my V30 & install Viper4Android? My phone is not locked to any carrier.

Only reason for a system wide EQ is when using Soundcloud or Pocket Casts. I am using Poweramp Pro for locally saved music.

Check the thread linked below. Notice that it branches into different threads depending on your model. It is very different between some of them.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-v30/how-to/root-v30-t3927154

That said, I wouldn't recommend V4A with your V30: As I understand, it's an old piece of software, long abandoned by its author, with no understanding of our Quad DAC - or any other modern DAC. I don't see how the outcome could be an audiophile one.

Dec 24, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #5,576 of 6,140
Check the thread linked below. Notice that it branches into different threads depending on your model. It is very different between some of them.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-v30/how-to/root-v30-t3927154

That said, I wouldn't recommend V4A with your V30: As I understand, it's an old piece of software, long abandoned by its author, with no understanding of our Quad DAC - or any other modern DAC. I don't see how the outcome could be an audiophile one.
Thanks for the response - I actually did some reading myself after posting yesterday & found a fair few posts about the DAC being over-ridden by V4A, which, I obviously don't want.

I'll give it a miss & just enjoy the clarity of this phone, the bass is actually present, I guess I'm just being picky.

It's when using my Westone W30 IEMS that I find the punch lacking in apps such as Soundcloud & Pocketcasts, but with my Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro's, it's fine.

Dec 26, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #5,577 of 6,140
Thanks for the response - I actually did some reading myself after posting yesterday & found a fair few posts about the DAC being over-ridden by V4A, which, I obviously don't want.

I'll give it a miss & just enjoy the clarity of this phone, the bass is actually present, I guess I'm just being picky.

It's when using my Westone W30 IEMS that I find the punch lacking in apps such as Soundcloud & Pocketcasts, but with my Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro's, it's fine.

I have noticed a difference too in the past between HIM and Normal mode, and particularly when playing on external speakers (HIM vs Aux mode). Bass seemed fuller in HIM, but detail and imaging was a bit more congested. I first attributed it to the adapter (extension) I kept in the phone after triggering HIM (NOT the impedance adapter, that one must be removed or it will change the frequency response). But then I found I could trigger HIM with the impedance adapter on the other end of the cable (before plugging the cable into the monitors) and so have a straight connection between the phone and the monitors after removing the imp adapter. And I still heard a fuller bass. I really don't think it was my imagination. Others swear they hear a big difference between HIM and Normal mode on sensitive IEMs.

Of course any difference in volume levels when comparing would explain a lot.

Normal and Aux mode use the same DAC mode (HifiOne=1Vrms) just with different levels of AVC (Analog Volume Control). In other words, Normal mode caps power below the 1Vrms allowed in Aux mode. HIM uses a different DAC mode (HifiTwo=2Vrms). But we do not know for sure what the differences are between the two modes other than the extra power. This famous AndroidAuthority article (based on V20) concludes that they use different numbers of DAC cores in parallel to multiply current passed to the OpAmp, which is logical and is backed up by an LG marketing dude quoted in that article. But his statements don't match analysis of the ESS 9218p driver -- nor do they pass the common sense test. But even if HIM (HifiTwo) uses 4 DAC cores and Normal & Aux mode (HifiOne) only use 1 DAC core, it shouldn't cause a difference in frequency response. At most it would be a difference in noise levels.

@csglinux has demonstrated that indeed there are no differences in frequency response. If you search back in the thread, you'll find more discussions and analysis of this.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #5,578 of 6,140
I placed a scope on the output of my V30, and to my surprise there was pre-ringing visible in case the Short filter is selected. This is not how it should be when you look at the pulse example that is shown when selected this filter.
I disabled and enabled the “Hifi Quad DAC” and then the pre-ringing disappears and looks like the example picture. This can be reproduced 100% when resetting by restarting the music player. So, this seems to be a bug. I now always disable and enable the quad dac when I start listening as a work arround.

Dec 31, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #5,579 of 6,140
Thank you for that.

Is it happen on short filter only?

My listening preference with the V30 is sharp, btw.:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back