LG V30
Jul 8, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #3,601 of 6,140
I have the V20 and recently rooted it so I could do the high impedance mood and install viper4Android. I'm very glad I did.

I really should look into rooting (about which I know literally nothing), so I can do the mod to force HIM.

Same here. Now that I use the V30 as my daily the V20 is relegated to the Drawer of Many Electronic Devices. I should consider rooting it but have never done before to anything. A quick google brings up many sources. Is there a definitive/reliable tutorial that can be recommended? V20 is an unlocked version and ready to go down this path!

Jul 8, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #3,602 of 6,140
I should definitely be more clear. I actually have the V20, I just post in this thread because it's still alive and the V30 has the same DAC.

I really should look into rooting (about which I know literally nothing), so I can do the mod to force HIM.

I haven't been in the rooting scene on years. Just not generally worth it to me anymore. But glad I did it with my V20. The V20 rooting process is a little more complicated, but do-able. If you like I'll send you a link to the video I fallowed and the instructions to mod the for High Impedance Mode.

Same here. Now that I use the V30 as my daily the V20 is relegated to the Drawer of Many Electronic Devices. I should consider rooting it but have never done before to anything. A quick google brings up many sources. Is there a definitive/reliable tutorial that can be recommended? V20 is an unlocked version and ready to go down this path!

The V20 make for an excellent dedicated DAP. I even got a large after market battery for it so it last a LONG time, but the standard battery make it a much more pocket-able music player.

I can also PM you the info if you want to give rooting a try. Seems you have nothing to loose as it just not being used at all.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #3,603 of 6,140
Well the S7 was audio output was not very good, but the S8 and Note 8 Are far better. Not nearly as good as the LG Quad DAC devices or a couple of other phones with decent audio but better than the masses. My Nexus 6P and LG G6 where the worst. I actually have no problem with Google dropping the headphones Jack, because Blyth sounds better than what their headphone jack was producing.

I'm ok with my Note 8s call quality. I'm sure there's better out there, but I would call it abysmal.

What I would really like to see is LG make:

1. High impedance mode a toggle the user can manually set.

2. Add hardware buttons for play/pause, forward & back.

3. A camera that can take good Auto mode pictures (you know the mode the vast majority of people use).

That would be incredible those suggestions. RockStar gave me a way to get good pictures on v30, I haven't had to e to try it yet but will. If it works would be great.

Toggle for high impedance mode would be nice.

But I think dedicated media buttons (play stop skip track, shuffle etc.) Would take v30 to another level. It would literally then be a good DAP seconding as a phone.

Jul 13, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #3,604 of 6,140
I'm considering buying this phone, due to quality of audio reported and the full support for MQA on Tidal. However, due to fact I'm not perfectly satisfied with the response of my Shure SE315 I need access to MorphIt equalizer on USB Audio Player Pro, the system I'm satisfied with on my HTC 10 for Tidal streaming. Can MorphIt be accessed with Tidal MQA streaming on LG, or does MQA limit me to bit perfect only?

Jul 13, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #3,605 of 6,140
I'm considering buying this phone, due to quality of audio reported and the full support for MQA on Tidal. However, due to fact I'm not perfectly satisfied with the response of my Shure SE315 I need access to MorphIt equalizer on USB Audio Player Pro, the system I'm satisfied with on my HTC 10 for Tidal streaming. Can MorphIt be accessed with Tidal MQA streaming on LG, or does MQA limit me to bit perfect only?

If bit perfect mode is disabled, you can definitely use morphit with MQA.

Jul 13, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #3,606 of 6,140
If bit perfect mode is disabled, you can definitely use morphit with MQA.
Yea no doubt morphit is available with bit perfect off. But what I'm concerned of is whether LG DAC correctly decodes the MQA hires signal if bit perfect isn't used. Or whether UAAP even sends signal as MQA to LG DAC if one disables bit perfect? Anybody with LG and UAAP able to test this?

Since if I understand correctly, MQA signal is kinda lossy hires signal part encoded within a standard SD PCM signal as noice on the least significant bits. Is this the case? I'm concerned that MQA data bits of the SD container would get distorted unpredictably if filtering is applied?

Jul 13, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #3,607 of 6,140
Yea no doubt morphit is available with bit perfect off. But what I'm concerned of is whether LG DAC correctly decodes the MQA hires signal if bit perfect isn't used. Or whether UAAP even sends signal as MQA to LG DAC if one disables bit perfect? Anybody with LG and UAAP able to test this?

Since if I understand correctly, MQA signal is kinda lossy hires signal part encoded within a standard SD PCM signal as noice on the least significant bits. Is this the case? I'm concerned that MQA data bits of the SD container would get distorted unpredictably if filtering is applied?
Screenshot_2018-07-13-09-49-19.png

This is with bit perfect off. UAPP is correctly flagging it as Hi-Res file.

As to filtering, YMMV. I use MorphIt with my iSine 10 and it works great.

Jul 13, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #3,608 of 6,140

This is with bit perfect off. UAPP is correctly flagging it as Hi-Res file.

As to filtering, YMMV. I use MorphIt with my iSine 10 and it works great.
Yep, indeed similar hires tags appear on my HTC 10 on those supposedly MQA albums. But if I understand correctly, MQA process actually encodes high frequency data to the least significant bits of a lower sample rate container. If a MQA enabled DAC is used on that album which in your system appears as 24/48, it's actually decoded as 24/96, i.e wider frequency range and more importantly impulse response with way less ringing.

Jul 13, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #3,610 of 6,140

It's a great question. I did a few tests with UAPP having Bit Perfect ON and OFF, respectively, using MQA files from 2L. Of course always with the MQA flag ON under HiRes Driver Flags.

With Bit Perfect ON, UAPP recognizes the file as MQA on the Play screen:

Screenshot_2018-07-13-14-21-54.png

With Bit Perfect OFF, UAPP does NOT recognize it as MQA, but just it as regular 44K/24 PCM:

Screenshot_2018-07-13-14-21-09.png

But it's worth noting that I've seen other MQA files (such as the David Elias tracks) where UAPP also did NOT detect the MQA, even in Bit Perfect mode:

Screenshot_2018-07-13-14-22-31.png

It is possible MQA is still properly detected and unfolded by the DAC, even when UAPP doesn't recognize it. But if equalizing generally means it messes up the MQA and prevents proper unfolding, I'd say that's a big problem for MQA and its promise of wonderfulness, given how many people use equalizing. I am a Bit Perfect kind of guy myself and don't use equalizer, so it is not a problem for me.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #3,611 of 6,140
@Dannemand Oh man. Seems i can't use the morphit if I do want to decode the MQA. Seems I need expensive top quality headphones, and can't equalize out the artefacts of these cheaper ones. :frowning2:

As for equalizing, I've done countless hours of highend DIY loudspeaker engineering with measurements/listening and optimizations in the past. As it happens, the heart of any top quality loudspeaker is the crossover filter. And filter doesn't just split frequencies to lows and highs, way more importantly it equalizes out any inevitable artefacts that the combo of drivers and box gives. Similarly, I've done huge amounts of equalizing optimizations by ear for almost all IEMs/headphones I've had. It's an integral part for me for getting top fidelity out of any phones. My ears through those DIY years developed so that I could easily distinguish even the slightest of imbalances. As it happened, I could hear even differences of 0.2dB over say 2 octave band on my loudspeakers. For some reason, I haven't been as successful in distinguishing tiny changes on phones. Typically I need like 1dB before I can hear a clear difference. Probably cause those aren't my own designs, and/or because not even the most expensive of headphones have as neutral balance as the straight sound of top quality loudspeakers.

So I need a way of accurate parametric equalization, otherwise any portable listening is 100% no-go. Any clue if there's any way of gaining systemwide post-processing filtering on the LG before DAC? No other way I would even consider V30.

Jul 13, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #3,612 of 6,140
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_Quality_Authenticated

"Based on information from Auralic, a manufacturer of Audiophile Wireless Audio Streamers, Meridian Audio prohibits digital output of unpacked MQA in any digital format, only allowing the unpacked data to be fed to an on-board MQA-compatible DAC and output in analog form."

So, it seems they completely try to prohibit any DSP from happening. If so, no-go.

Jul 13, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #3,613 of 6,140
@soulblast: I understand about the equalizing. I meant no judging. My ears are not nearly that trained, and my tinnitus messes up some frequencies anyway.

Before concluding anything, I would write the UAPP developer and inquire about this. I find it hard to believe that all the high res details of MQA are lost or distorted that easily - particularly by a MQA aware all like UAPP.

Edit: Oh, I just missed your last post. I agree that looks discouraging. Still, do write the UAPP Dev Davy and check (info@audio-evolution.com). He is incredibly responsive.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #3,614 of 6,140
@Dannemand Oh man. Seems i can't use the morphit if I do want to decode the MQA. Seems I need expensive top quality headphones, and can't equalize out the artefacts of these cheaper ones. :frowning2:

All's not lost! I equalized out the artefacts from my cheaper headphones with the Shure SE846. No problem using them in bit perfect mode
angel.gif

Jul 13, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #3,615 of 6,140
Hope it's allowed here to link to other relevant forums? Check this thread page out.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...l-tidal-hifi-streaming-issues-thread/?page=39

Like I also understand it and like somebody points out there, MQA indeed requires that you or even hardware manufacturers cannot use any own filters on the digital signal. The only way to guarantee that the higher sample rate signal of MQA is properly derived is to keep the digital chain bit perfect. MQA does indeed cleverly solve one big problem of the digital chain, namely the time domain smearing. But it totally disables all software DSP filtering, and only eq way would be to apply analog filtering post DAC. Pfff...I do wanna try MQA but SE315 without eq definitely aren't good enough for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back