LG V30
Mar 18, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #2,791 of 6,140
Looking for some insight playing hi-res audio on my car stereo. I'm currently using an iPod 160gb classic connected via USB to my JVC head unit (using the JVC DAC). Most people will say this USB connection yields the best audio quality. But I'm wondering if I get a V30, should I just use the Aux input on my JVC head unit? I'm wondering if the DAC in the V30 will be superior in this type of situation (higher power amp/larger speakers)? Thanks!

Mar 18, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #2,792 of 6,140
Looking for some insight playing hi-res audio on my car stereo. I'm currently using an iPod 160gb classic connected via USB to my JVC head unit (using the JVC DAC). Most people will say this USB connection yields the best audio quality. But I'm wondering if I get a V30, should I just use the Aux input on my JVC head unit? I'm wondering if the DAC in the V30 will be superior in this type of situation (higher power amp/larger speakers)? Thanks!

LG V30's DAC is quite good & probably better than the JVC's DAC

Mar 18, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #2,794 of 6,140
BTW: with all the talks about the V30 battery, i thought of something i've meant to ask the geniuses on here for awhile. I frequently turn the "middle" V30 battery saving mode, which is almost indistinguishable from full power. However, has anyone tested if there is a measured drop in audio/DAC sound quality (vs full power) using that mode?

Mar 18, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #2,795 of 6,140
Does this app improve the auto mode quality? Or just add features and adjustments for manual mode.

I'm an auto camera kind if guy. If it improves auto pictures, I'll give it whirl.

This is not using the stock camera app, but creates another camera app which is more designed to be used in auto mode.
What's great is that there are actually one app for the main camera and another separate app for the wide camera.
The function of zooming and switching from normal to wide or vice versa is not possible due to them being separate is the only negative.

You have the choice to download either one or both...which I did.

Mar 19, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #2,796 of 6,140
This is not using the stock camera app, but creates another camera app which is more designed to be used in auto mode.
What's great is that there are actually one app for the main camera and another separate app for the wide camera.
The function of zooming and switching from normal to wide or vice versa is not possible due to them being separate is the only negative.

You have the choice to download either one or both...which I did.

I downloaded both. What a great improvement at least in low light shots. Here are two pictures both taken in "Auto" with no flash. I don't have to tell you which one was shot on what. Sorry about the mess. The wife is spring cleaning and reorganizing the house a bit and the dining room is the staging area. LOL.
20180318_202234_zpsiqxfv1un.jpg
IMG_20180318_202154_zpsd5afsag5.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #2,797 of 6,140
I downloaded both. What a great improvement at least in low light shots. Here are two pictures both taken in "Auto". I don't have to tell you which one was shot on what. Sorry about the mess. The wife is spring cleaning and reorganizing the house a bit and the dining room is the staging area. LOL.

The one on the right is definitely way overexposed. The left is also overexposed in the doorway but far less so than the right so I'm guessing the right one is LG's auto mode since I already know that LG's auto mode overexposes. On the right the table is also way overexposed loosing detail in the table cloth as a result. I will admit that this is a very difficult shot not to have something overexposed.

Any camera has a very different dynamic range & sensitivity compared to the human eye. Heck even some humans have radically different sensitivities to light. For example many autistics have incredible sensitivity to light. I'm mildly autistic myself but light sensitivity is not one of my problems. Sound was when I was younger as well as skin sensitivity. Many autistics have some sort of synesthesia as well, mine is aural-tactile synesthesia. I feel bass in my body when listening to headphones just as if I was listening to speakers.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 12:47 AM Post #2,798 of 6,140
My V30+ arrived today (Silver one) tried immediately with UAPP alpha build and sounds awesome with my SE846's & HD660S.

I'm not sure if I've missed it somewhere and have read a fair bit, but where is it meant to show if your in Normal, High Impedance, Aux mode ?

Within first half hour of using it its made me wonder why all the messing around with dedicated DAP's and external DAC's ! Sounds as Good as anything else I've used other than the Hugo 2 I'd say, certainly comparable to Mojo.

If being picky then screen isn't quite as good as my S8 and there is a very slight blue tinge if viewed at angle as everyone says, but its really nothing and mine has no banding/dead pixels. There is a slight graininess to whites if compared to S8 but again nothing major.

I value audio over ultimate screen perfection so V30+ is fine to me. Hard to believe I've got this for only £500 compared to price of Mid/high DAP's, and with 128GB RAM built-in too (also added by 128GB SD)
So is the hugo 2 better or in which ways is the hugo 2 better?

Mar 19, 2018 at 2:54 AM Post #2,800 of 6,140
So is the hugo 2 better or in which ways is the hugo 2 better?

Hugo 2 better but not like 20% better.

Dont have H2 to compare side by side to the V30 now, but just that sensation of listening to music in person rather than recorded. Think its more to do with less digital reconstruction, more analogue/musical presentation/spacing/timing rather than specifics about lows/mids/highs. Improvement not worth the money for me.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 5:06 AM Post #2,802 of 6,140
Has anyone tried ifi iematch with this? Does it trigger aux mode and does it improve sound quality?
No it doesn't on high or ultra. Its not an impedence adapter. Tried it with my SE846 and HD660 to see if any change. Also makes no difference if plugged in on its own or with earphones together.

The V30 SQ is that good it really is not needed.

Only time I notice a slight benefit is with soft classical with near silent sections (in a totally quiet room) where my SE846 could still resolve a tiny bit of background hiss which the IEMatch removes totally.

Set to Ultra in picture below. No difference if set to high
IMG_0004.JPG

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 6:38 AM Post #2,803 of 6,140
No it doesn't on high or ultra. Its not an impedence adapter. Tried it with my SE846 and HD660 to see if any change. Also makes no difference if plugged in on its own or with earphones together.

The V30 SQ is that good it really is not needed.

Only time I notice a slight benefit is with soft classical with near silent sections (in a totally quiet room) where my SE846 could still resolve a tiny bit of background hiss which the IEMatch removes totally.

Set to Ultra in picture below. No difference if set to high

There must be some resisters going to ground both settings must present a load of less than 50 ohms whether set to high or ultra therefore not triggering high or aux even with no load attached. Using a standard adapter works perfectly & am able to access high & aux modes no problem given my earlier instructions. Just retested to confirm.

Have you tested the impedance of the Ifi adapter with nothing attached to it in both settings?

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #2,804 of 6,140
There must be some resisters going to ground both settings must present a load of less than 50 ohms whether set to high or ultra therefore not triggering high or aux even with no load attached using a standard adapter works perfectly & am able to access high & aux modes no problem given my earlier instructions. Just retested to confirm.

Have you tested the impedance of the Ifi adapter with nothing attached to it in both settings?

No. Don't have kit to measure. I'm personally not bothered about forcing modes as I'm perfectly happy with how it works with auto detect.

Mar 19, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #2,805 of 6,140
@psikey The other main function of the iematch is to create a more appropriate output impedance for sensitive earphones coming out of devices like smartphones, which may have output impedances that are too high. I'm assuming you're not really noticing a more natural tonality out of your iems using the iematch like it's supposed to do?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back