LG V30
Nov 30, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #1,487 of 6,140
Is there a better sounding phone?

Did you try vivo xplay6? I have both phones and I still think I prefer vivo sound house more than LG's.

Nov 30, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #1,488 of 6,140
I don’t think there would be better sounding Phones on the market, but more likely to be personal preferences. In the game where smartphones are sporting dedicated DAC internally, the implementations would play a role, but not to the extent to really make them standing a part from one another like DAP.

On the scale of little devices, power supply, components....etc....etc....I would wager that the most we may be able to enjoy is just the Pure sound signature of the DAC being in placed. Sabres or Astiq, or Burrbrown or...AKM....be it whatever. Smartphones won’t be able to color or tune the sound much more than what already is on the chip itself. However, Sabres and DAC inside the V20 and V30 are newer generations, and are tuned by ESS for LG alone, that means the chips itself are already tuned, all LG needs doing is to follow the paper and get it to work the magic, where as other phones such as HTC 10 have all the sound tuning and implementations by the manufacturers itself.

In conclusion, on pure paper, LG V30 should easily be superior as everything are inside DAC chips and Amplification Op-Amp, Which comes from ESS and tuned for LG, whether it is by AKG or whatever the heck they do with it, the DAC+Amp inside the V30 are specially made for LG. Therefore, it leaves colorations or tastes and tunes specially toward the listener preferences.

To my opinion, V10 was more Natural and of good details, exciting but was lacking musicality and emotions, where as HTC 10 is very musical, Good bass, Warmer but boring and the Vanila colorations are easily observed.

I am not sure if anything further can be achieved by Smartphones, but IMO, Smartphones are catching up with mid-tier players easily.

Remember, in the past, DAP are not as advanced as they are now. However, remember that Smartphones has to take into account the battery usages and itself being a powerhouse as Well

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #1,489 of 6,140
Did you try vivo xplay6? I have both phones and I still think I prefer vivo sound house more than LG's.

Can you elaborate more? how do you compare Vivo Xplay6 vs. LG V30?

Nov 30, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #1,492 of 6,140
btw, can I buy the LG V30 anywhere (amazon, ebay, etc.) for the 600mhz? I don't have to buy the V30 from T-Mobile to get the 600mhz 5G if I'm already on a T-Mobile plan correct?

Nov 30, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #1,493 of 6,140
btw, can I buy the LG V30 anywhere (amazon, ebay, etc.) for the 600mhz? I don't have to buy the V30 from T-Mobile to get the 600mhz 5G if I'm already on a T-Mobile plan correct?

I think the 600mhz 5G is only available from T-Mobile directly unless you are able to find one used that was purchased from T-Mobile.
All others wouldn't have the 600mhz.

Nov 30, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #1,494 of 6,140
I think the 600mhz 5G is only available from T-Mobile directly unless you are able to find one used that was purchased from T-Mobile.
All others wouldn't have the 600mhz.

Yeah, but it won’t be available nationwide until 2020 either way. Only a couple places now, I guess until 2020, IPhone X3 will also have it and whatever else, it may be able to fix breakfast and coffee too

Nov 30, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #1,495 of 6,140
Can you elaborate more? how do you compare Vivo Xplay6 vs. LG V30?

Yes I can. But can you wait a couple of week? I am planning to write full review of V30 in headfi review format same like I did with xplay6.

Nov 30, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #1,498 of 6,140
The screen is "plastic" and not glass..."P-OLED"
The exterior is Gorilla Glass 5 on both sides.

Don't compare the V30 with either the V10 or the V20...a whole different ballgame when it comes to materials of construction.
Just to let you know, I've owned all of them and the V30 is my favorite.

Aren't all OLED screens made that way, plastic screens and glass on top?

Dec 1, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #1,499 of 6,140
Is there a way to test if the Quad is actually being turned on? I'm having a bit of a concern as there's no perceptible audio difference with my Pinnacle P1, and given the high impedance there should be a NOTICEABLE difference.

Dec 1, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #1,500 of 6,140
Is there a way to test if the Quad is actually being turned on? I'm having a bit of a concern as there's no perceptible audio difference with my Pinnacle P1, and given the high impedance there should be a NOTICEABLE difference.

The P1s have a 50 ohm impedance - thought the additional output power only kicked in when impedance goes ABOVE 50?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back