LG V30
Nov 28, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #1,441 of 6,140
MQA isn't possible at the moment with the V30 via Tidal.
Internal storage/external SD via a MQA source download is the only way at the moment.

I've downloaded a few samples from here --> http://www.2l.no/hires/

You can purchase from here --> https://www.onkyomusic.com/#/US/home

Ahh okay, thanks, super helpful! I'll try this and hopefully in the future the app gets some MQA support.

Btw, so I'm on T-mobile atm and it seems LG V30 is the way to go on T-mobile? why is that specifically?

Nov 28, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #1,443 of 6,140
Enjoying the minimalistic combo of my V30 and Hifiman Edition X v2's. Allows me to not be tied down to a desktop setup.

V30's impressively clean sound output allows the HEX v2's to shine where they excel - velvety smooth mids (vocals are realistically present), 3D imaging, expansive soundstage, and deep unobtrusive bass. Not as full, clear, or tight as coming from my DACport (original), but the portability is worth it alone and it's definitely not to the point of making me long for the DACport. There are times however I wish I had a bit more volume for some tracks. Probably better for my ears in the long run.

Nov 29, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #1,444 of 6,140
I don't know too much about DACs but will the Quad Dacs in the LG V30 be on par or better than say the AudioQuest Dragonfly Red?

Nov 29, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #1,445 of 6,140
I dunno if you've held them in your hands, but the v30 is so much lighter than the Note 8 that it paradoxically feels more like a toy. It's weird, I can't even explain it. :beyersmile:

Regardless, I had a Note 8 and traded it in and got the v30. I trust LG in a lot of ways far more than I do Samsung. The only real loss is accessories.

Lighter, does it feel cheap or more comfortable? No regrets moving from Note 8 to V30? I am thinking of doing the same, headphone jack sucks on N8.

How is the earpiece on V30 compare to N8? iPhone X kills the N8 in that department.

Nov 29, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #1,446 of 6,140
I dunno if you've held them in your hands, but the v30 is so much lighter than the Note 8 that it paradoxically feels more like a toy. It's weird, I can't even explain it. :beyersmile:

Regardless, I had a Note 8 and traded it in and got the v30. I trust LG in a lot of ways far more than I do Samsung. The only real loss is accessories.
I listen to metal most of the time and the P1s do a great job playing metal. However, I also have the Audeze iSine 10 and they, in turn, completely destroy the P1s. I can listen to the iSines at full volume and no matter what I throw at them, there is no distortion on the low end.

Definitely not overkill, but it's up to you whether you want to spend $400 instead of $200.

I have both because they each serve a different purpose to me. The P1s are my office set and the iSines are my 'everywhere else' set since they're open-back and they are also louder.
This journey for the best sound could get expensive real quick LOL. I'm basically following Wirecutter; started with Panasonic Ergofit, then AKG Y20, followed by Marshall Mode and 1More's Triple Drivers. I don't think I'll ever have the cash to get the Audeze iSine 10 but I'll seriously consider getting the P1s. I've read a few reviews now, is the sub-bass levels quite low? I do love a good thump, punchy and deep with my metal. I also listen to a bit of Hip-Hop, DnB, Dubstep, etc so would prefer headphones with a more 'U-shaped' sound rather than as neutral as possible.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #1,449 of 6,140
Does the HiFi Dac activate when you plug in low impedance headphones like LCD-X rated at 20 ohms. Does the headphones impedance need to be more than 50 ohms for it to be activated?

The Quad HiFi DAC will work with any type of headphone.
It really depends on the individual headphone quality to determine how much of audio difference it makes with the Hifi DAC activated.

The Quad Hifi DAC requires to be switched on from the "Sound" menu located in the Settings under Advanced Settings first.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #1,450 of 6,140
This journey for the best sound could get expensive real quick LOL. I'm basically following Wirecutter; started with Panasonic Ergofit, then AKG Y20, followed by Marshall Mode and 1More's Triple Drivers. I don't think I'll ever have the cash to get the Audeze iSine 10 but I'll seriously consider getting the P1s. I've read a few reviews now, is the sub-bass levels quite low? I do love a good thump, punchy and deep with my metal. I also listen to a bit of Hip-Hop, DnB, Dubstep, etc so would prefer headphones with a more 'U-shaped' sound rather than as neutral as possible.

Yeah, the P1s are neutral, but not so that you won't feel a good drop or the heaviness of a down-tuned guitar riff.

If you're in the US, you can purchase directly from Audeze via Affirm to do monthly payments instead of a lump sum. That's how I was able to purchase my iSines. They're quite worth it.

Nov 29, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #1,451 of 6,140
Yeah, the P1s are neutral, but not so that you won't feel a good drop or the heaviness of a down-tuned guitar riff.

If you're in the US, you can purchase directly from Audeze via Affirm to do monthly payments instead of a lump sum. That's how I was able to purchase my iSines. They're quite worth it.
Yes, I don't doubt they are worth it but I still read reviews stating the bassline isn't strong.

"However, resolution and transient-handling through the mid-range is outstanding, and the bass is reasonably tight if not particularly deep"

Off-topic, I just got a new pair of Marshall Modes today as a friend wanted a pair and I wanted to see if any difference. I bought the old model 2nd hand and the box states 2014 whereas the new one states 2016.

There were a few cosmetic changes, like the cord being less grippy, a few engraved shapes and a more matte finish.

The kicker though was the old ones got too loud at 60 on the V30, whereas the new ones around 38!!

There was a difference when turning on the DAC with the old ones but it's as if the quad DAC wasn't being fully utilised. The sound quality with the new ones is much improved, more tight, deep, clear, all-around better.

Anyone else experience something similar with the V30?

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #1,452 of 6,140
Dude, if you want thump and deep bass you want ath-e70. Perfect match for v20/v30. My daily drivers. http://amzn.to/2zP0jZp

Nov 29, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #1,453 of 6,140
Dude, if you want thump and deep bass you want ath-e70. Perfect match for v20/v30. My daily drivers. http://amzn.to/2zP0jZp

Z1R from Sony and Z7 are both carrying thumping bass, the Z1R has better sub bass and soundstage though, and so for other little details, but the price :D

Nov 29, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #1,454 of 6,140
MQA isn't possible at the moment with the V30 via Tidal.
Internal storage/external SD via a MQA source download is the only way at the moment.

I've downloaded a few samples from here --> http://www.2l.no/hires/

You can purchase from here --> https://www.onkyomusic.com/#/US/home
Onkyomusic hasn't let me login for months now. I bought several albums from the site about 8 months ago and for some reason it refuses to accept my credentials. It lets me reset my password but won't accept it after I do. It also won't allow me to sign up with a new email. I can download the albums I've already purchased from 7digital but they don't offer the MQA tracks there.

Nov 29, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #1,455 of 6,140
Z1R from Sony and Z7 are both carrying thumping bass, the Z1R has better sub bass and soundstage though, and so for other little details, but the price :D
Thanks for the recommendations guys. Just a bit of curiosity but if you have a very heavy bassline, does it interfere with the mids/highs or can you have a very heavy bassline with the best mids/highs available?

I just see so many great earphones touted as the best sounding only to read it has a neutral sound and they only chose orchestra/jazz for reviewing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back