LG V30
Nov 27, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #1,396 of 6,140
Could any one help me, from my understanding V30 is great when using high impedance headphones but what about just using IEMs they usually have low impedance.

Currently looking for some IEMs up to £200 will i really notice a difference on V30 compared to something like S8/S8+/Note8 (all Exynos) or something like OPO 5T?

I do love V30 but that display especially below 30% brightness is really bad.

Mee Audio Pinnacle P1. They're around $200. I'd estimate they're around the same in £. Those or the OneMore Quad Drivers.

P1s are the 50ohms. I own them and they sound great with the V30. Plenty of soundstage and get loud enough.

Nov 27, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #1,397 of 6,140
I love the Marshall Modes, best bang for buck headphone under 100USD. I also just got the 1more triple drivers but they had nothing on the Modes. Perhaps the quads are better, I read they are more refined. The triples had better separation but felt muddy to me. Of course music is subjective, just giving my 2 cents.
Mee Audio Pinnacle P1. They're around $200. I'd estimate they're around the same in £. Those or the OneMore Quad Drivers.

P1s are the 50ohms. I own them and they sound great with the V30. Plenty of soundstage and get loud enough.

Nov 27, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #1,398 of 6,140
Could any one help me, from my understanding V30 is great when using high impedance headphones but what about just using IEMs they usually have low impedance.

Currently looking for some IEMs up to £200 will i really notice a difference on V30 compared to something like S8/S8+/Note8 (all Exynos) or something like OPO 5T?

all my iems has benefited from the ess dac on the v30. I have iems ranging from $30 to $1k and i hear a difference in all of them when toggling the hifi dac on and off. I can clearly hear the difference in clarity.

Nov 27, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #1,400 of 6,140
Very interesting - thanks! I'm still a bit puzzled though. Firstly, how does this guy find MQA files on the Android app? There's no "Masters" category on the Android app, so it would a crapshoot trying to find anything, even if the Android app actually links to those files. Secondly, if you look at the lights on the ME2, the third light (farthest from the end) is the one that indicates MQA. It's supposed to glow blue for MQA studio, green for MQA and white for 44/48 kHz. Maybe it's my screen, but this guy's third LED looks white the whole time.

He probably put MQA albums into his favorites in the desktop app, then switched to his phone. That is still the easiest way to do it. But since a recent update, UAPP does display "(HiRes)" after MQA track names. That makes it easy to pick MQA tracks out of a list, but when looking at albums you can't tell until opening them and listing the tracks inside. So, it's a bit more cumbersome to search for MQA within UAPP, but it is doable. Hopefully this will continue to improve.

(I don't know why the developer didn't just call them "MQA". But "Hi-Res" technically means anything above 16/44.1, even un-decoded MQA is in a 24/48 container, and there are no other hi-res tracks on Tidal at this time, so OK.)

However, the second light does appear to be indicating 88/96kHz audio, so unless UAPP is up-sampling to these frequencies (I can't think why it would), there is something interesting going on here.

UAPP does not do MQA software decoding. He has upsampling turned off, and is sending a bit perfect un-decoded MQA stream to his Explorer, which is then decoding to the highest resolution possible for each track up to 24/192.

Edit: forgot to address the color of the light. Jump link to our continued discussion here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lg-v30.858933/page-94#post-13877657

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #1,403 of 6,140

I never have my display above 50% at the moment (being winter in the UK) and don't have any real world issues with the display, and I have had a galaxy S6 for the last 2 years ‍♂️

Nov 27, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #1,404 of 6,140
Does all V30 have the capability to connect T-Mobile 600Mhz
Yes: "today announced that the LG V30® is coming to the Un-carrier, and it is LIT. LG’s latest superphone is packed with all the most advanced tech, so it absolutely flies on T-Mobile’s super-advanced LTE network. We’re talking gigabit-class speeds and the ability to tap into the new 600 MHz spectrum T-Mobile is lighting up in rural America." See, for example, https://finance.yahoo.com/news/lg-v30-lights-every-advanced-130000508.html

Nov 27, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #1,406 of 6,140
What about Bass on them? i do love Bass :)
Punchy. Not as boom-y as I'd like.

Also, I wouldn't put the volume all the way up with a bass-rich track on these. At level 70 you're fine, at level 75 there is definitely some distortion.

Nov 27, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #1,407 of 6,140
I love the Marshall Modes, best bang for buck headphone under 100USD. I also just got the 1more triple drivers but they had nothing on the Modes. Perhaps the quads are better, I read they are more refined. The triples had better separation but felt muddy to me. Of course music is subjective, just giving my 2 cents.
I returned the Triple Drivers after I listened to the P1s.

P1s completely destroyed them. And you are correct, very muddy.

Nov 27, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #1,408 of 6,140
Yes: "today announced that the LG V30® is coming to the Un-carrier, and it is LIT. LG’s latest superphone is packed with all the most advanced tech, so it absolutely flies on T-Mobile’s super-advanced LTE network. We’re talking gigabit-class speeds and the ability to tap into the new 600 MHz spectrum T-Mobile is lighting up in rural America." See, for example, https://finance.yahoo.com/news/lg-v30-lights-every-advanced-130000508.html
Where do we buy it ! I want it Now! :D The Unlocked V30 that works on 600Mhz

Nov 27, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #1,409 of 6,140
Strange that his MQA LED remained white the whole time, no?

Sorry, I forgot to include an answer to that. That light is blue, hope you can see it in this screen shot:

lights.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back