LG V30
Nov 26, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #1,381 of 6,140
Tidal does not yet support MQA through its Android app (you'll find a few 24-bit albums, but these are not MQA), so plugging in an external MQA DAC to the V30 won't buy you anything, unless you simply prefer the sound of that DAC. The Explorer 2 would work via your PC though.

Pardon me for leaving information out. From what I have researched, the plan is to play tidal tracks through UAPP and set to bit perfect in the settings.

There's a YouTube video of someone using their s8 with the ME2 and playing tidal tracks through UAPP

If you then say the ME2 still isn't compatible on mobile devices, what about the dragonfly red which now has the MQA capability ? (all assuming I will be using UAPP to play my tidal tracks)

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #1,382 of 6,140
If you want to try Tidal, Best Buy in the US has a promo for Cyber Monday where any CD purchase gets you a 6-month subscription to Tidal Hi-Fi. Pick up the sumptuous sounding Pink 'Beautiful Trauma' on CD for $7 and rip it to FLAC--that will show you what the V30 can do.

Nov 26, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #1,383 of 6,140
Pardon me for leaving information out. From what I have researched, the plan is to play tidal tracks through UAPP and set to bit perfect in the settings.

There's a YouTube video of someone using their s8 with the ME2 and playing tidal tracks through UAPP

If you then say the ME2 still isn't compatible on mobile devices, what about the dragonfly red which now has the MQA capability ? (all assuming I will be using UAPP to play my tidal tracks)

What's curious about this is Tidal doesn't have any MQA material currently available through its Android app. So I don't see how any external DAC would achieve MQA playback. Can you share that YouTube link?

If you want to try Tidal, Best Buy in the US has a promo for Cyber Monday where any CD purchase gets you a 6-month subscription to Tidal Hi-Fi. Pick up the sumptuous sounding Pink 'Beautiful Trauma' on CD for $7 and rip it to FLAC--that will show you what the V30 can do.

That's a pretty awesome deal! :)

Nov 27, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #1,386 of 6,140

Very interesting - thanks! I'm still a bit puzzled though. Firstly, how does this guy find MQA files on the Android app? There's no "Masters" category on the Android app, so it would a crapshoot trying to find anything, even if the Android app actually links to those files. Secondly, if you look at the lights on the ME2, the third light (farthest from the end) is the one that indicates MQA. It's supposed to glow blue for MQA studio, green for MQA and white for 44/48 kHz. Maybe it's my screen, but this guy's third LED looks white the whole time.

However, the second light does appear to be indicating 88/96kHz audio, so unless UAPP is up-sampling to these frequencies (I can't think why it would), there is something interesting going on here.

Nov 27, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #1,387 of 6,140
My apologies for hijacking this thread but you guys are so helpful with Neutron.

With Neutron playing music, when I switch to a video player like Xplayer, the sound will switch to Xplayer.

But when I finish video playback and minimise the app, it automatically plays the music from Neutron.

This is fine but the balance between both apps is huge, so I get insanely loud volume which destroys my ears when I forget to force close Neutron.

Any ideas where to stop this from happening?

Nov 27, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #1,388 of 6,140
Can you give some feedback on how does V30 run with LCD X as comare to Deckard? I am very interested to hear your views.

Compared to the Deckard? Not really fair. The v30 will run the X, but full volume is "listenable" to my ears. I think the auto-impedance thing messes with planars because they tend to have low impedance but still need some oomph to fully drive. If you don't need your music up loud, the v30 will run the X really well, but the Deckard is basically custom built for the X.

Nov 27, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #1,389 of 6,140
I agree that it seems back to front. Neutron's interface isn't the most friendly! But you definitely want to have that "Generic Driver" option ON (plus "Follow Source Frequency"). With the generic driver options on, all PCM plays at native sample rate; with it off, all PCM gets re-sampled to 48 kHz.

Please let us know your experiences on the V30 with the above setting in Neutron. I expect it will be very different to your experiences on a Galaxy phone :wink:

This phone absolutely rocks. I have many tracks where I honestly can't hear any improvement in SQ when switching from my V30 to my Hugo 2. It's really that good. (As long as you get your native sample rates sorted out - please see my previous posts on this!)

Thanks for the tip. I just tried the Poweramp beta you linked to. Unfortunately, it (like most other music players currently on the Play Store) plays all PCM - including the most common rbf 44/16 files - as 48 kHz re-sampled PCM on the V30 :frowning2: There'd simply be no advantage (and a lot of disadvantages) to using this over the stock LG music app.

Neutron still reigns supreme on the V30, IMHO. It's the only player I'm aware of that can play back all PCM at native sample rates.
I use Neutron on the V30 with LG's Tone Platinums (you need aptX HD capable headphones; these are). It's a great combo as long as you use Comply foam eartips to get a great seal, otherwise bass is anemic. I wrote a bit more about the Tone's here (used with my V20): https://joesgeekfest.wordpress.com/...earphone-tips-makes-your-workout-bassalicous/ Also, here's a list of headphones compatible with aptX HD: https://www.aptx.com/products?field_product_category_tid=125

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #1,390 of 6,140
Compared to the Deckard? Not really fair. The v30 will run the X, but full volume is "listenable" to my ears. I think the auto-impedance thing messes with planars because they tend to have low impedance but still need some oomph to fully drive. If you don't need your music up loud, the v30 will run the X really well, but the Deckard is basically custom built for the X.

Auto-impedance can’t be changed? Apart from the limited volume output, how is the sound?

Nov 27, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #1,391 of 6,140
So I ended up getting another cable for my Andromeda but still having strangeness w/ output modes, sometimes it detects as normal audio device, other times as aux. Must be a hardware issue? Not sure if it's worth RMA'ing or if I just deal with it.

Nov 27, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #1,392 of 6,140
So I ended up getting another cable for my Andromeda but still having strangeness w/ output modes, sometimes it detects as normal audio device, other times as aux. Must be a hardware issue? Not sure if it's worth RMA'ing or if I just deal with it.

Sorry to hear about this. Is it happening with other headphones too, or only your Andromedas? Can you try another V30 with your Andromedas in your local phone store?
If it's a problem with your phone, I'd definitely RMA it. That's not a problem you should have to deal with on a brand new device.

Nov 27, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #1,393 of 6,140

You shoyld get it replaced. Dont settle on paying 800+ for a faulty device. People need to stop "dealing with it" when its obvious that there is something wrong. How are companies going to fix the problem that exist if no one reports the problems that a device has.

Mine has the headphone jack problem from day one but I'm just waiting for a couple of batches to pass before I start a rma

Nov 27, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #1,394 of 6,140
My apologies for hijacking this thread but you guys are so helpful with Neutron.

With Neutron playing music, when I switch to a video player like Xplayer, the sound will switch to Xplayer.

But when I finish video playback and minimise the app, it automatically plays the music from Neutron.

This is fine but the balance between both apps is huge, so I get insanely loud volume which destroys my ears when I forget to force close Neutron.

Any ideas where to stop this from happening?

Neutron certainly isn't free of bugs and glitches. I had to resort to using Tasker to get it to behave itself when my phone connects to my car's bluetooth.

You might want to try disabling "Audio Focus" in the "Audio Hardware" settings. Also, under "Connections and Controls", make sure all options are switched off in the "Play if Output Attached" section.

Nov 27, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #1,395 of 6,140
Could any one help me, from my understanding V30 is great when using high impedance headphones but what about just using IEMs they usually have low impedance.

Currently looking for some IEMs up to £200 will i really notice a difference on V30 compared to something like S8/S8+/Note8 (all Exynos) or something like OPO 5T?

I do love V30 but that display especially below 30% brightness is really bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back