LG V30
May 31, 2021 at 5:07 AM Post #5,866 of 6,140
Does anyone think the V30 is worth buying today as a daily phone? Network would be Tmo.
I don't use mine as a daily phone, although it is handy for travel when I want to put a foreign SIM in it. It is getting old and cannot keep up with the newest phones. The version of Android is quite old (on mine at least) and this limits apps that can be installed on it. I use WhatsApp on quite a bit and it works fine.

The sound quality is excellent. Mine runs UAPP and the TIDAL app - I believe the TIDAL app is now 'broken' as I cannot get MQA out of it any more. UAPP works fine. The V30 is a very lightweight phone and comfortable to use.

It charges very quickly - I use a wireless charger.

It's perfectly usable as a daily phone on the understanding that you won't really get any updates and it is relatively slow. My concern would be that future app updates may not work on it. For now, mine is working great. It's currently being use a music source connecting over Bluetooth LDAC to play music. If you can get a used one cheaply then it's a good buy as, at the very least, it'll play music in very good quality. My V30 is powered on 24/7 unless I need to copy more music onto its micro-SD card. It hasn't crashed or exhibited any strange behaviour since I've owned it.

May 31, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #5,867 of 6,140
I don't use mine as a daily phone, although it is handy for travel when I want to put a foreign SIM in it. It is getting old and cannot keep up with the newest phones. The version of Android is quite old (on mine at least) and this limits apps that can be installed on it. I use WhatsApp on quite a bit and it works fine.

The sound quality is excellent. Mine runs UAPP and the TIDAL app - I believe the TIDAL app is now 'broken' as I cannot get MQA out of it any more. UAPP works fine. The V30 is a very lightweight phone and comfortable to use.

It charges very quickly - I use a wireless charger.

It's perfectly usable as a daily phone on the understanding that you won't really get any updates and it is relatively slow. My concern would be that future app updates may not work on it. For now, mine is working great. It's currently being use a music source connecting over Bluetooth LDAC to play music. If you can get a used one cheaply then it's a good buy as, at the very least, it'll play music in very good quality. My V30 is powered on 24/7 unless I need to copy more music onto its micro-SD card. It hasn't crashed or exhibited any strange behaviour since I've owned it.
Well written summary.

Use mine as a daily for over 3 years now.
Despite the mentioned facts, it's a very durable smartphone, well, except the battery on heavy use. ^^

As a music player, it could play for 1 and a half day without the need to recharge.

But yes, it's an old phone in our digital era, which by no doubt is suitable for normal daily use.

May 31, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #5,868 of 6,140
Does anyone think the V30 is worth buying today as a daily phone? Network would be Tmo.
In addition to the excellent input you already received I'll add that phone service should be your biggest concern if you want to (also) use the V30 as a phone: All carriers are in the process of shutting down their 3G networks, after which only phones with VoLTE (Voice-over-LTE) will work. Most of the US carriers are making that switch early next year (after postponing it twice). See this article and many others. Already, 3G network coverage has been reduced, which will only continue.

But V30 does have VoLTE, right?

Well, yes. But the phone has to know the IMS carrier configuration for the specific carrier being used. IMS is the service that supports VoLTE and VoWiFi (WiFi Calling). If you're on TMO, your phone must have a specific TMO profile built-in. Same for other carriers. Each V30 model only has IMS profiles for its intended carriers. Even the so-called Open Market models (US998 for North America, H930 for Europe, H930DS for India etc) only support VoLTE for established carriers in those regions. So you won't be able to bring a US model V30 overseas (or vice versa) and use VoLTE.

And then the carrier has to accept the phone's IMEI to provide VoLTE on it. For years, AT&T and Verizon have been using VoLTE/VoWiFi as premium features for their postpaid subscribers using their branded phones, not available to MVNOs (Mint, Red Pocket, etc) or users who bring their own phones.

Specifically on T-Mobile (which you use) you want a H932 (TMO V30) to make sure it works with their VoLTE and WiFi Calling. That will also give you TMO's 600MHz Band 71. Genuine US998 (North American Open Market V30) has been reported to work on TMO as well. I own two US998 but they were originally Sprint LS998 (converted by the seller before I bought them) and TMO says their IMEIs are no good. They currently work on Red Pocket GSMA (AT&T) but with restrictions on VoLTE and VoWiFi. I'll test them on Red Pocket GSMT (TMO) later next month. MVNOs are generally more flexible than the carriers themselves.

BTW this IMS requirement also locks out most custom ROMs, since developers who make them don't have access to LG's IMS code. And even if they did, it is complex as heck. I studied it a bit, and I suspect many devs just don't understand it yet.

Carriers must be loving this: Ever since they were legally require to unlock phones for other carriers, they've lacked a good torture instrument to apply on their customers. They have been using VoLTE to push phone sales the last 1-2 years, and that pressure will only increase. It is possible that they will be more flexible once they have turned off 3G -- they don't want to lose subscribers, after all. But until then we have to dance to their tune in selecting phones.

TL;DR: Get a V30 model matching your network carrier to make sure it works after 3G gets turned off next year.

Last edited:
May 31, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #5,869 of 6,140

Hardware is still more than adequate for my basic uses (phone, music apps, camera, web browser, occasional game), on T-Mo (w/ their model), no issues I've noticed- but as above comments mention, security patch and OS are well out of date, batteries are getting old, so caveat emptor.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #5,872 of 6,140
On my V30 the battery is definitely getting a little tired and drains fairly quickly these days. When it was new the battery life was exceptional. I'm going to see if there's any battery optimisation tricks to squeeze more life out of the battery.
Unsure of where in the world you are, but we have a phone repairer shop here in Sydney, which changes the battery fairly cheaply here.

Jun 1, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #5,873 of 6,140
Im still using it as daily driver. Been using it ever since it launched. I dont know what phone to choose if my V30 failed on me now. LG V60 maybe? Hmmm
I'm on the same boat.
Don't have a clue what should i buy, bc every available smartphone has something that bothers me.

Maybe the Sony 1 MK3 will do it, i don't know.
I don't want Samsung for various reason. :wink:

Jun 1, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #5,874 of 6,140
I'm on the same boat.
Don't have a clue what should i buy, bc every available smartphone has something that bothers me.

Maybe the Sony 1 MK3 will do it, i don't know.
I don't want Samsung for various reason. :wink:

We each learn to embrace the dongle in our own time.

Jun 1, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #5,877 of 6,140
I think worth it, a used one seemingly needs a daily charge, but overall, sound, connectivity of 4G/wifi, using as a wifi hotspot, browsing, making photos, calling/texting, scrobbling songs, uploading stuff is somewhat satisfying, if you need more volume out of headphones, because sometimes it sounds too quiet with headphones in 3.5mm socket, you may get 10-20$ usb-c dongle (tempotec/meizu/jcally, or even bluetooth ones btr5/shanling up4) with some 32bit depth/70mW power, it really makes headphones shine, or have bluetooth headphones, they seem adapt to the noise outside you and reducing it, so you don't need to crank up the volume, lovely tech we have nowadays! Overall, i wouldn't drop 1000$ on LG v60, even if i could, why chase every latest model like those crazies nowadays... I probbably would go for a new lg v30 @100-150$, or used one with a replaced battery the next time.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2021 at 12:57 AM Post #5,878 of 6,140
I think worth it, a used one seemingly needs a daily charge, but overall, sound, connectivity of 4G/wifi, using as a wifi hotspot, browsing, making photos, calling/texting, scrobbling songs, uploading stuff is somewhat satisfying, if you need more volume out of headphones, because sometimes it sounds too quiet with headphones in 3.5mm socket, you may get 10-20$ usb-c dongle (tempotec/meizu/jcally, or even bluetooth ones btr5/shanling up4) with some 32bit depth/70mW power, it really makes headphones shine, or have bluetooth headphones, they seem adapt to the noise outside you and reducing it, so you don't need to crank up the volume, lovely tech we have nowadays! Overall, i wouldn't drop 1000$ on LG v60, even if i could, why chase every latest model like those crazies nowadays... I probbably would go for a new lg v30 @100-150$, or used one with a replaced battery the next time.

Thank you for the input. I actually bought a used V60 but had to return it because it was defective.

Jun 10, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #5,879 of 6,140
I have a peculiar query: I use my V30 exclusively for audio, does anyone know whether the FM radio will feed through USB to a DAC/amp? My amp has failed, and I'm thinking of changing to a DAC/amp with a Sabre 9038 in it. My plans will change if I won't get FM through the amp - I'll revert to a new amp only. I just have some doubts whether the phone ever converts FM signal to the digital bus, and I live in an audio wasteland where I am unable to find a DAC/amp to test.

Jun 11, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #5,880 of 6,140
I have a peculiar query: I use my V30 exclusively for audio, does anyone know whether the FM radio will feed through USB to a DAC/amp? My amp has failed, and I'm thinking of changing to a DAC/amp with a Sabre 9038 in it. My plans will change if I won't get FM through the amp - I'll revert to a new amp only. I just have some doubts whether the phone ever converts FM signal to the digital bus, and I live in an audio wasteland where I am unable to find a DAC/amp to test.
Sadly no.
The radio is transferred via the headphone jack only.

Tested with Mojo and R28.
Only Uapp goes through Usb to the dac/amp.
No Tidal, Amazon Music nor LG Music Player.

Out of curiosity i've plugged my FiiO BTR5 to the V30 and it works with all apps mentioned.
But once a cable is attached to the 3.5mm output all apps stops playing through USB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back