LG V30
Apr 7, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #5,176 of 6,140
...and even more so if it's tuned more like the G7/V40, as my investigations there would indicate

The audio tuning of the V35 the same as the V30. Meridian only got involved onothe "smoother" tuning with the v40. However the V35 has the update a processor, and all the DTS audio extras plus EQ.

I know because I had both before I ended up keeping the LG-unlocked V30S instead (along with my carrier V40).

Thank you for that. So you were able to compare the two and clearly heard that V35 had the same tuning as V30, while V40 had the smoother tuning?

Of course that is what we all assumed: That V40 was the first to receive Meridian tuning.

But if you have followed the last few pages here, you probably noticed @elfary's posts saying that G7 ALSO has Meridian tuning (long before V40). That's what prompted me to compare the actual ESS codecs (drivers) of V30, G7, V35 and V40 -- and to my surprise V40 and G7 were identical, while V35 was almost identical -- all of them very different from V30.

See my post about this a little further up (here).

So EITHER the tuning is all in hardware, nothing do to with the codecs, OR there is a significant difference between V30 on the one side and V40, G7 and V35 on the other side.

Edit: And yes, I am quite aware of the other differences between V35 and V30. This is only about the codecs and whether them being so different has any bearing on the tuning.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #5,177 of 6,140
Why you don't answered to my question =( ? I ended buying V30 (US998), But I can't use the EQ of the Music player pro because it says "this device is not compatible with sound effecrs", I Can use it with other apps but no that app, Lol.
If I root it i would be able to fix that? Anyone knows?
sounds good, organic tuning of the quad dac,(I have a HRT Microstreamer).

Apr 10, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #5,178 of 6,140
Hi,anyone have compared the B&O tuned version of V30+ versus the LG Tuned version? USA dont has that b&o tuning, I plan to use them with headphones that have a lot of detail and I Want something musical with sub bass(some say that sub bass is more present in other daps /phones compared to V30) , not detail emphasis because it can kill bad recordings , in fact I think that for example my Little microstreamer turn on the lights of the music and emphasizes errors of recordings making good recordings sound like magic but bad ones not so good, would be V30+ (Not b&0 tuning) for me?

Why you don't answered to my question =( ? I ended buying V30 (US998), But I can't use the EQ of the Music player pro because it says "this device is not compatible with sound effecrs", I Can use it with other apps but no that app, Lol.
If I root it i would be able to fix that? Anyone knows?
sounds good, organic tuning of the quad dac,(I have a HRT Microstreamer).

Congrats on getting your V30 :)

I assume not many people own both a US and European V30, so not many can answer your question about the differences in tuning. Plus, this thread is simply not as active, now that the phone is 1.5 years old.

Personally I don't think there is a difference: I think all the V30 models use the same tuning, and the B&O branding is only a matter of marketing and whether B&O earphones are included. I would also point out that the ESS codecs (drivers) are identical between H930 (European model with B&O branding) and H932 (US T-Mobile model without B&O branding). But I cannot say for sure, as I have not listened to them side-by-side.

I suggest using UAPP as your music player. Along with Neutron, it provides the cleanest playback, including from CD/Redbook (which gets molested by most other players) and including from Tidal and Qobuz. It has a well reviewed parametric EQ option. Or check the option described in this post to use LG's EQ (requires you to be on the latest Android update, but doesn't require root).

Make sure to study that thread containing the linked post:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/music-apps-tips-and-tricks-for-the-lg-v30.868978/

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #5,180 of 6,140
What Digital Filter do you guys Use / Prefer ? Short, Sharp, Slow?

Sharp. Just more natural to me.

I expected to prefer Slow, because it has less post-ringing, which I would consider a good thing, in theory. And it is very crisp indeed, but just doesn't sound natural to me.

And Short is just too much bathroom effect (I am exaggerating, it's not that bad).

I think it depends a lot on which music you listen to. I almost entirely listen to classical, orchestral.

Apr 11, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #5,181 of 6,140
Sharp. Just more natural to me.

I expected to prefer Slow, because it has less post-ringing, which I would consider a good thing, in theory. And it is very crisp indeed, but just doesn't sound natural to me.

And Short is just too much bathroom effect (I am exaggerating, it's not that bad).

I think it depends a lot on which music you listen to. I almost entirely listen to classical, orchestral.

Do I Leave Bit perfect Mode Off, On or When Possible?

Thanks!

Apr 11, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #5,184 of 6,140
Great, One more Question, Is it possible to have a Folder Tab in the Libary?

I don't think so. Just choose Folder from the main menu (flyout) and you can browse everything.

I keep my main music collection in the Music folder, which I let UAPP scan for its library. I then have a Music tests folder where I keep other stuff (test tracks, different resolutions, etc). I DON'T let it scan this folder so it won't pollute my library. Did that make sense?

Apr 11, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #5,185 of 6,140
I don't think so. Just choose Folder from the main menu (flyout) and you can browse everything.

I keep my main music collection in the Music folder, which I let UAPP scan for its library. I then have a Music tests folder where I keep other stuff (test tracks, different resolutions, etc). I DON'T let it scan this folder so it won't pollute my library. Did that make sense?

Yes, How do I set my physical Volume Button to Next / Previous Track by Holding Down a few sec.?

Apr 11, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #5,186 of 6,140
Yes, How do I set my physical Volume Button to Next / Previous Track by Holding Down a few sec.?

I have not been able to make that work on V30. I assume it's something to do with how the entire audio playback gets shifted from regular Android to LG's specialized code when the Quad DC is enabled. You should ask in the UAPP thread here. @Davy Wentzler, the UAPP developer, is very active and responsive there.

Apr 11, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #5,187 of 6,140
I have not been able to make that work on V30. I assume it's something to do with how the entire audio playback gets shifted from regular Android to LG's specialized code when the Quad DC is enabled. You should ask in the UAPP thread here. @Davy Wentzler, the UAPP developer, is very active and responsive there.

Thats a bummer, Do you have Direct PCM, MQA and No Blocking Enable / Checked?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back