LG V30
Jul 18, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #3,661 of 6,140
I think the V35 is basically the same as the V30 except it has more RAM and a faster processor?

I have the V35. I measured the Output Impedance of mine at 0.94 ohms. This was with a 23 ohm planar magnetic headphone attached, so I guess that'd be low gain mode. The options and audio menus all look the same as what I've seen with the V30, with options for the quad DAC, etc. I don't know about the G7 because I'm on AT&T and didn't really have the choice. It sounds pretty good to me, but I don't have any really low impedance/high sensitivity IEM's to test for hiss with.

It can drive said 23 ohm planar to over 100 dB easily in low gain (using my calibrated UMIK-1 measurement mic on a flat plate coupler), so I have no need to get more power out of the headphone amp, considering I try not to listen over 90 dB (just measured it playing 102 dB with Ether Flow Open on a 50hz test tone from my V35).

I just tested it on an HD650 and it is putting out 110 dB at 50hz on my measurement rig. Safe to say it can get any headphone loud enough to damage your hearing, outside of a few really inefficient ones like maybe an HE-6.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #3,662 of 6,140
HDR+ is, in fact, what you're getting from the Google Cam port.

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-camera-hdr-lg-v30-wide-angle-lens/

Hey bro,

v3.1 was giving me reboot issues. I think after trying a few suggestions on there I got it under control, but then I found out cstark27 had later posted v3.8 which was MORE stable with no reboot issues, so I uninstalled v3.1 and put in v3.8. I've used it several times now over this past week with NO issues! So just to wrap this up in here, use THIS link to get to v3.8, uninstall v3.1 if you have it first...........and there ya go!

BTW, I spoke to him via PM on XDA, and he told me there will be no more major upgrades, only minor ones I think, b/c he got burnt out on the whole project. Still, for as long as I keep the V30, I will be using his apps. I'm hoping by the time I upgrade (skipping V40 most likely, so V50 or G8 I guess?), they will have perfected the camera software by then. Or else I will contact cstark and see if he or his listed associates have anything to offer up at that time.

Make sure to follow the advice in large red font if you have any reboot issues, and also what he says right below there about clearing BOTH apps' Data in Phone Settings, force closing both, then restarting phone after. SO FAR I've NOT had to do that, but I did follow the advice in red though already. His modded version of Gcam is DEFINITELY better than stock as I'd demonstrated in a previous post.

The reason I feel this IS relevant in this thread is that many (including me) have said that LG's phones are great except for the camera. But this makes it clear that it's NOT a hardware issue (they're using Sony's camera sensor like literally everyone else is for Christ's sake! lol), but a software one. With this modded app at the wheel, the V30 now essentially becomes THE PERFECT phone IMO! I still wish an audiophile phone like this had stereo FRONT-FACING speakers though, but whatever. I'm reading that the newer G7's single speaker is setting a new standard with regards to phone speakers b/c of how amazingly loud it can get, quality of bass rendering, and excellent clarity. Samsung and Sony are both developing tech where the sound will be put out THROUGH the screen (Sony invented it ((Acoustic Surface)) for their TVs, but now Samsung has their own version and it will probably be on their phones before Sony implements their original version), so phone speakers will be obsolete one day I think.

If any questions, let me know.

Jul 23, 2018 at 8:03 AM Post #3,663 of 6,140
Oh my, I'm so sorry for not making myself clear from the get-go. The link I posted was the link to the article 'Google Camera HDR+ port adds support for LG Smartphones’ Wide Angle Lens', not the main thread for cstark27's GCam app. I'm so glad you found the right place eventually. And thanks for checking back, I'm already on the latest version (ver 3.8), cheers!

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #3,664 of 6,140
Oh my, I'm so sorry for not making myself clear from the get-go. The link I posted was the link to the article 'Google Camera HDR+ port adds support for LG Smartphones’ Wide Angle Lens', not the main thread for cstark27's GCam app. I'm so glad you found the right place eventually. And thanks for checking back, I'm already on the latset version (ver 3.8), cheers!

No problem bro! I GREATLY appreciate it that you even linked it in the first place! Because of v3.8, I now have a phone WITHOUT an Achilles heel. lol

What's great too is even if LG doesn't fix their camera software/app, ppl can still fallback on these two-in-one apps.

Jul 29, 2018 at 3:01 AM Post #3,665 of 6,140
Hey all, i am pretty much brand new to all this and have NO IDEA WHAT I AM DOING....

I will be doing some testing soon. I have on hand the Vmoda M100s, the HE4xx, a pair of E-MU purple hearts, some Shure 535s and the Sony WH1000, some Hyper X revolvers and I have incoming both the Sennheiser 58x Jubliee and the 6xx. As soon as I can find some Fostex woodie series on sale, Ill get them to.

Running my V35, my phone sticks in low output mode...i cannot drive the HE4xxs well at all. I have looked around (and failed to find) some higher OHM adapters to trick the set into going into high output mode, all i found was some cheap chinese 80ohm and 250ohm "filter" adapters from amazon which I "think" will work but don't really know. I ordered them but they will take forever to ship (might be here before the 6xxs). If anyone has links to where I can buy some that will actually work in tricking the phone to change modes, please post.

In the mean time, my Fiio A3 runs the HE4xx "satisfactorily". I say "satisfactorily" because I can't help feeling there is just a "little bit more" on the table with these phones not being hit by the A3s (maybe a lot more on the table I have no idea). I switched to Tidal and set up my phone to get "master level" downloads but some of the recordings are still garbage. (Some Peter Gabriel stuff sounds amazing but the recording from "Kiss" from "last of the mohicans" is obviously not a good download from their site...(it's the dl quality, not the phones). At any rate I ordered an FIIO A5 from Amazon to see if i can push them to a fuller level and Ill use the A3x as backups when extended traveling as the battery dies faster with the larger cans than anything else (Frankly Id only be listening to the HE4xx and 6xxs from a hotel room or my bed anyway...Well see. Also, I might actually try taking the 58x's on the road in my rotation with the Vmoda's, Shure IEMs and of course the bluetooth sony's.

I just ordered the Shiit magna 3, but I did not order the Modi....as the quad DAC in the V35 should be good enough (am I wrong?? I have no idea what I am doing). The built in sound on my MSI x370 SLI plus claims to have a high quality DAC with a high bitvrate as well and it automatically detects and adjusts for headphones up to and 600ohms....according to the manual, as I don't have anything above 50ohms here and I have the same da** problem as with my LGV35, i cant manually adjust the gain enough to drive the HE4xxs (insert curse words here). I did however order the Schiit Loki.....yes, i like manual knobs and the ability to micromange the EQ on the fly with different songs and headphones without the need to constantly hear about "this one is too dark" or "this one is too bright on such and such tracks" like you hear in EVERY REVIEW. As i said, i have no idea with I am doing and I am 45, but back in the day we didn't just complain because we were locked into a sound signature, we EQ'd that crap to our liking and problem solved. Not sure what has changed...

At any rate, if it comes down to it, I will pick up a modi as well, but presently it seems redundant with the DAC that my phone and PC already have??? Am I wrong?

Apologies....there are some hidden questions above of course any advice appreciated.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #3,666 of 6,140
Hey all, i am pretty much brand new to all this and have NO IDEA WHAT I AM DOING....

I will be doing some testing soon. I have on hand the Vmoda M100s, the HE4xx, a pair of E-MU purple hearts, some Shure 535s and the Sony WH1000, some Hyper X revolvers and I have incoming both the Sennheiser 58x Jubliee and the 6xx. As soon as I can find some Fostex woodie series on sale, Ill get them to.

Running my V35, my phone sticks in low output mode...i cannot drive the HE4xxs well at all. I have looked around (and failed to find) some higher OHM adapters to trick the set into going into high output mode, all i found was some cheap chinese 80ohm and 250ohm "filter" adapters from amazon which I "think" will work but don't really know. I ordered them but they will take forever to ship (might be here before the 6xxs). If anyone has links to where I can buy some that will actually work in tricking the phone to change modes, please post.

In the mean time, my Fiio A3 runs the HE4xx "satisfactorily". I say "satisfactorily" because I can't help feeling there is just a "little bit more" on the table with these phones not being hit by the A3s (maybe a lot more on the table I have no idea). I switched to Tidal and set up my phone to get "master level" downloads but some of the recordings are still garbage. (Some Peter Gabriel stuff sounds amazing but the recording from "Kiss" from "last of the mohicans" is obviously not a good download from their site...(it's the dl quality, not the phones). At any rate I ordered an FIIO A5 from Amazon to see if i can push them to a fuller level and Ill use the A3x as backups when extended traveling as the battery dies faster with the larger cans than anything else (Frankly Id only be listening to the HE4xx and 6xxs from a hotel room or my bed anyway...Well see. Also, I might actually try taking the 58x's on the road in my rotation with the Vmoda's, Shure IEMs and of course the bluetooth sony's.

I just ordered the Shiit magna 3, but I did not order the Modi....as the quad DAC in the V35 should be good enough (am I wrong?? I have no idea what I am doing). The built in sound on my MSI x370 SLI plus claims to have a high quality DAC with a high bitvrate as well and it automatically detects and adjusts for headphones up to and 600ohms....according to the manual, as I don't have anything above 50ohms here and I have the same da** problem as with my LGV35, i cant manually adjust the gain enough to drive the HE4xxs (insert curse words here). I did however order the Schiit Loki.....yes, i like manual knobs and the ability to micromange the EQ on the fly with different songs and headphones without the need to constantly hear about "this one is too dark" or "this one is too bright on such and such tracks" like you hear in EVERY REVIEW. As i said, i have no idea with I am doing and I am 45, but back in the day we didn't just complain because we were locked into a sound signature, we EQ'd that crap to our liking and problem solved. Not sure what has changed...

At any rate, if it comes down to it, I will pick up a modi as well, but presently it seems redundant with the DAC that my phone and PC already have??? Am I wrong?

Apologies....there are some hidden questions above of course any advice appreciated.

I've had people on here confirm for me that this 75 ohm adapter on eBay will do the trick! You want something ABOVE 50 ohm, but one guy on here told me that if you go over 100 it MAY (or may not?) cause distortion. So there you go!

If it DOESN'T work that can only be because LG changed something on the V35 that wasn't done to the V30.

Sounds like you got some really great headphones there! FiiO A3..........nice! I used to have that for a little while 4 years ago when it was called the E11k (yep, it got renamed for whatever reason). It was a fantastic amp though. The A5 I'm sure will be better. However, with the V30/V35, YES......the Quad DAC (including super powerful amp ((once you get it "tricked" into Aux or the even louder HIM that is))) is MORE than sufficient for your needs. I compared the V20's Quad DAC to my old $300 Oppo HA-2 premium portable amp/DAC, and I felt it MATCHED it! So I sold the Oppo off. Then there's this. lol I've seen people on here say the same thing vs. $600 amp/DACs, $900 I believe, etc. So umm YEAH, you don't need the external amps. So relax and just use the V35 to drive it all! lol :L3000:

Other notes:

The LG V30 (and I'm guessing V35)'s Quad DAC and amp can drive headphones UP TO 600 ohms, so you should be fine no matter what.

In Poweramp, make sure on the EQ screen to DISABLE both "Limit" and "Tone". You don't need them on, esp "Limit". If you have questions, lemme know.

With regards to EQ'ing, I not too long ago came up with what I call my "Magic EQ" (including 4 variations of it with differing bass levels) which I use exclusively in Poweramp (get it, cuz it's the BEST IMO!) and its 10-band EQ. Poweramp's official version lets you save your settings and custom EQs as a file which you export out to your cloud and then can always import back to new phones in order to avoid having to reconfigure Poweramp every time you get it. That's just one of the reasons why I love it so much. The devs are lazy Fs from Russia who take their SWEET time updating it, but even without updates, it's still #1 IMO. lol But anyway, try out my Magic EQs (Main EQ is the one labeled "Beyerdynamic DT 1770") and tell me if you hear any improvements. I've applied them to the last several headphones I've auditioned, and on all of them except one it was the clear victor vs. No Eq and vs. the "Rock" preset in Poweramp. The one exception was the Mitchell & Johnson MJ2, which is a special type of electrostatic headphone (vs. the usual dynamic drivers), and that feature may be why it wasn't as good sounding (or that it just has a really unusual type of tuning???).

Hope all that helps! If you use my EQs, PLEASE let me know what you think about them (either main one and/or the variations) in here (vs. No EQ and/or "Rock" preset in Poweramp, which is what my main EQ is based on). The variations are all self-explanatory. The "Bass Train" one is for train rides which features a boosted bass sound to compensate for the loud engine on a moving train which I noticed was significantly weakening the bass sound on previous headphones of mine. Now with that EQ I get that sound back and all is cool again lol.................

(Note: Despite the EQs being named after my new "one and only" Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro, once you create and save them in Poweramp, you can always rename them as you please! They apply to MANY headphones, not just my Beyers. I also tried them on the B&W P7, Shure 1540, Sony MDR-1ADAC, and a few others. And also, note that the pre-amp EQ band at far left is dipped, so don't forget to do that on your end for each one. I did this to keep the treble at bay so to avoid "shrieking highs", even when the volume is turned up. So things will ALWAYS sound balanced and smooth.)

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #3,671 of 6,140
I've had people on here confirm for me that this 75 ohm adapter on eBay will do the trick! You want something ABOVE 50 ohm, but one guy on here told me that if you go over 100 it MAY (or may not?) cause distortion. So there you go!

If it DOESN'T work that can only be because LG changed something on the V35 that wasn't done to the V30.

Sounds like you got some really great headphones there! FiiO A3..........nice! I used to have that for a little while 4 years ago when it was called the E11k (yep, it got renamed for whatever reason). It was a fantastic amp though. The A5 I'm sure will be better. However, with the V30/V35, YES......the Quad DAC (including super powerful amp ((once you get it "tricked" into Aux or the even louder HIM that is))) is MORE than sufficient for your needs. I compared the V20's Quad DAC to my old $300 Oppo HA-2 premium portable amp/DAC, and I felt it MATCHED it! So I sold the Oppo off. Then there's this. lol I've seen people on here say the same thing vs. $600 amp/DACs, $900 I believe, etc. So umm YEAH, you don't need the external amps. So relax and just use the V35 to drive it all! lol :L3000:

Other notes:

The LG V30 (and I'm guessing V35)'s Quad DAC and amp can drive headphones UP TO 600 ohms, so you should be fine no matter what.

In Poweramp, make sure on the EQ screen to DISABLE both "Limit" and "Tone". You don't need them on, esp "Limit". If you have questions, lemme know.

With regards to EQ'ing, I not too long ago came up with what I call my "Magic EQ" (including 4 variations of it with differing bass levels) which I use exclusively in Poweramp (get it, cuz it's the BEST IMO!) and its 10-band EQ. Poweramp's official version lets you save your settings and custom EQs as a file which you export out to your cloud and then can always import back to new phones in order to avoid having to reconfigure Poweramp every time you get it. That's just one of the reasons why I love it so much. The devs are lazy Fs from Russia who take their SWEET time updating it, but even without updates, it's still #1 IMO. lol But anyway, try out my Magic EQs (Main EQ is the one labeled "Beyerdynamic DT 1770") and tell me if you hear any improvements. I've applied them to the last several headphones I've auditioned, and on all of them except one it was the clear victor vs. No Eq and vs. the "Rock" preset in Poweramp. The one exception was the Mitchell & Johnson MJ2, which is a special type of electrostatic headphone (vs. the usual dynamic drivers), and that feature may be why it wasn't as good sounding (or that it just has a really unusual type of tuning???).

Hope all that helps! If you use my EQs, PLEASE let me know what you think about them (either main one and/or the variations) in here (vs. No EQ and/or "Rock" preset in Poweramp, which is what my main EQ is based on). The variations are all self-explanatory. The "Bass Train" one is for train rides which features a boosted bass sound to compensate for the loud engine on a moving train which I noticed was significantly weakening the bass sound on previous headphones of mine. Now with that EQ I get that sound back and all is cool again lol.................

(Note: Despite the EQs being named after my new "one and only" Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro, once you create and save them in Poweramp, you can always rename them as you please! They apply to MANY headphones, not just my Beyers. I also tried them on the B&W P7, Shure 1540, Sony MDR-1ADAC, and a few others. And also, note that the pre-amp EQ band at far left is dipped, so don't forget to do that on your end for each one. I did this to keep the treble at bay so to avoid "shrieking highs", even when the volume is turned up. So things will ALWAYS sound balanced and smooth.)

So in conclusion.

1) Yes adapters work
2) Get Power up
3) I didn't make a mistake not buying a desktop DAC
4) I probably did make a mistake buying the shiit stack desk top amp plus manual EQ ((I can plug the analogue out from my computers headphone jack into it also so maybe not a TOTAL mistake)

Edit: Found the profiles

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #3,672 of 6,140
Interesting.

Power amp says "too many failed files, will stop now"

Won't play anything. My best guess? I have all my downloads set to "Master" which is a step up from lossless. I can't say much more about what it really is. Tidals own site says it's for desk top only yet it only works on my cell phone (the desk top app is not in the Microsoft store and when try to actually install it on my from Tidals site Kapersky flags it as a trojan...locks down the system...deletes it and powers off the PC then forces a full scan on the next boot up....

Anyway, i am thinking their format conflicts with Power amp???

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #3,673 of 6,140

75 ohm adapter works, but I recommend getting a short extension cable and plug it in extension cable > 75 ohm adapter > headphone Then plug it ALL into the phone (this triggers high impedance mode). Then remove the 75 ohm adapter while not removing the extension cable so it stays in High impedance mode.

*Note don't just plug the exertion cable with adapter into the phone (it will likely go into AUX mode not full high impedance mode). Must plug the headphone cable in also to be certain you trigger high impedance mode). Once that's done then you can remove the 75 ohm adapter, no need to have that additional resistance before you headphones.
V20 high impedance trigger_1 (1).jpg V20 high impedance trigger_2.jpg

Any News on v40

Just three rear cameras: Regular, Wide angle AND Zoom (YES! Finally). Two front facing cameras, not sure how they are going to configure (regular and wide angle?).

If you're willing to root you can mod it to have high inpedance mode always triggered and run Viper 4Andriod for a system wide EQ. Finally did that with my V20 and wish I would have done it sooner.

Yes. It will have a ugly notch.

I hope not, I'm fine with a thin bezel. But if implemented like the G7 (can make it like it not there) I can live with it.

So in conclusion.

1) Yes adapters work
2) Get Power up
4) I probably did make a mistake buying the shiit stack desk top amp plus manual EQ ((I can plug the analogue out from my computers headphone jack into it also so maybe not a TOTAL mistake)

1. ) Yep, but use an short extension cable
2) ?
3 & 4) IMO portables are for portable use, desktop gear is for desktop/home use, especially if you have some higher end or harder to drive gear(planars). If at all possible a decent desktop rig is recommended for home use.

Destop DAC AMP plugged into a computer using Equalizer APO so you get full system EQ (even when using spotify or other streaming services).

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #3,674 of 6,140
75 ohm adapter works, but I recommend getting a short extension cable and plug it in extension cable > 75 ohm adapter > headphone Then plug it ALL into the phone (this triggers high impedance mode). Then remove the 75 ohm adapter while not removing the extension cable so it stays in High impedance mode.

*Note don't just plug the exertion cable with adapter into the phone (it will likely go into AUX mode not full high impedance mode). Must plug the headphone cable in also to be certain you trigger high impedance mode). Once that's done then you can remove the 75 ohm adapter, no need to have that additional resistance before you headphones.

1. ) Yep, but use an short extension cable
2) ?
3 & 4) IMO portables are for portable use, desktop gear is for desktop/home use, especially if you have some higher end or harder to drive gear(planars). If at all possible a decent desktop rig is recommended for home use.

Destop DAC AMP plugged into a computer using Equalizer APO so you get full system EQ (even when using spotify or other streaming services).

Thanks for all the help, you guys ROCK TODAY. (or jazz or what ever your preference there).

I have a couple very small extension cables i used to use as the plug on my headphones was too big to plug into the phones jack because of the stupid small size of the mophie juice pack. I assume these will work perfectly in conjunction with the high OHM filter to do the procedure you described. FWIW, i have never been able to trigger my phones aux mode by just plugging in a blind cable either....I know it is supposed to but on my V35 it doesn't??

https://www.amazon.com/Headset-Exte...id=1532898964&sr=8-6&keywords=3.5mm+extension

Since I am using shiit, i will clarify below:

Ok so right now Ill be going PC(Gaming mobo with upgraded Sound card integrated already)->Analogue out->3.5mm to RCA Adapter cable->Shiit Loki (3 dial EQ)->RCA to Shiit Magna 3->Headphone Jack out of front.

You are saying it is STILL worth it to do this instead?

PC (Gaming mobo with upgraded Sound card integrated already)-USB or Digital (optical spdif) -> Shiit Modi (might spring for the Uber since it has the Optical)->RCA->Loki Sys (will allow me to switch inputs with a push of a button between V35 and PC inputs) -> RCA to-> Shiit Loki -> RCA->Shiit Magna 3 to head phone out.

(If you are wondering why I want the loki see Jude here:

Steve Guttenberg here:

That set up jumps the price from my current $300 investment to a $500 investment (trying to avoid DAC/AMP combos...i have bought into the Shiit philosophy that it is better to keep the devices separate rather than using an all in one/combo).

The DAC just didnt seem worth it as I said since ill be using this amp while at my desk to both run music off my phone at times and also to run music right off the PC and my phone has the quad DAC and my PC has the upgraded gaming audio sound already built in.

Not going for a 90% audiophile system Ill be happy at 80 to 85%. (100% being a $100,000 set up, a 90% being a $5,000 set up and me trying to get 80% to 85% of that with a few hundred or so). If yall tell me i need the extra gear and to bypass my PC's DAC....I will...

According to MSI:
NEXT-GEN HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO PROCESSOR
Audio Boost 4 is powered by an EMI-shielded High Definition audio processor with built-in DAC, making sure you enjoy the purest sound quality in both stereo and surround sound.

• 120dB SNR / 32-bit
  • Supports DSD Super Audio CD playback & recording (64x better than regular CD quality)
DEDICATED HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER THAT AUTO-DETECTS IMPEDANCE
The built-in dedicated headphone amplifier rewards audiophiles with headphones up to 600Ω impedance by delivering studio-grade sound quality from your gaming PC. Audio Boost 4 automatically detects the optimal impedance for your headphones and adjusts the output for the best sound quality.

Designed for Heaphones up to 600lohm

CHEMI-CON AUDIO CAPACITORS FOR A WARMER SOUND
By dedicating golden audio capacitors to the front output, a high fidelity sound experience with exceptional acoustics and realism for studio level headphones is ensured. The Chemi-Con audio capacitors are widely considered to be one of the great choices for the best sound output.
REMIUM CONNECTORS FOR OPTIMAL 7.1 SOUND QUALITY

With premium audio connectors you get the best possible signal output with the least chance of distortion. Using gold also prevents any corrosion or oxidation in the long run, which could impact signal quality.

Edit: Bottom line, i am not sure the question about the DAC can just "be answered". Ill have to wait till i get it set up and if the music from my PC is crappy or distorted Ill have my answered. If it is clean and without a lot of noise etc..ill have my answer.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #3,675 of 6,140
So in conclusion.

1) Yes adapters work
2) Get Power up

Edit: Found the profiles

1) Correct

2) Power up? You mean Poweramp? Yes, definitely! You can create and save the EQs in there. PM me if you need help on that.

3) Correct. The V30's DAC (and amp) IS an audiophile DAC. At this point IMO, anyone who argues that doesn't have all their facts straight. lol

4) I mean, you probably didn't need it. But if it's like a really expensive one, it MIGHT sound better? But I just don't know if it's worth it is all. That's something only YOU can decide.

Again, feel free to shoot any questions my way here or else in PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back