LG V30
Apr 28, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #3,107 of 6,140
DFR is pretty good, but it's another clunky dongle to carry and it can be a bit of a battery drain. The V30's battery life is awesome :)

Thanks :) I nowhere found a definite answer on sound quality. If that is equal I might stick with iOS, I am kinda locked in the ecosystem.

Both combo’s would be used with B&O H6 first gen, QC25 and Sennheiser HD598. Maybe looking for some heavier stuff in the future. If anyone would have any experience comparing these combo’s with one of those headphones, I would be so greatful for your input.

My personal sound would be wide soundstage, clarity, and mainly listening to Jazz, Funk, Soul and Classical music.

Apr 28, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #3,108 of 6,140
"Those of you with Oreo and either Neutron or UAPP, I'd be interested to know if USB digital out is working properly for you..."
Just installed Oreo and UAPP, no sound out when I use Dra.. red DAC with Tidal.
All MQA titles are 44100Hz 24 bit.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018 at 5:30 AM Post #3,109 of 6,140
Hello everyone:beerchug:
I've lurked on here for a while and read the whole thread (all 200 pages of it) while waiting for my own unlocked LG V30+ to arrive a few weeks ago, sourced from a Hong Kong seller through the French eBay for 530€ - a very good deal if I may say so!

It's been a fun ride and I want to thank @csglinux for the constant monitoring and great advice - including the entire discrete thread dedicated to the LG V30 tricks. Having gone through the whole thing I could feel the regulars' jaw clenching every time someone new came along asking about high-impedance mode or how to "activate" the quad DAC :smile: @SomeGuyDude provided some quite entertaining, no-nonsense back-and-forths too a few pages back.

I just received the Oreo update, which didn't break anything for me as I mostly use the Tidal app instead of UAPP or Neutron. This leads me to believe everyone will indeed get Oreo at some point, a promise by LG that I was starting to doubt.

I bought a Dragonfly Red on Halloween last year with the specific aim of salvaging the mediocre jack output of my Samsung S7 Edge. While I like the DF Red very much, UAPP proved a repeated inability to process Tidal 4G streaming while I was out and about - very much the point of the whole clunky business. It was constant hiccups, pops and glitches where the stream would behave like a damaged vinyl and play the same 5 seconds on a loop - only without the cool DJ factor. This even when tethered to a single 4G connection. And since UAPP doesn't have the right to stream Tidal offline, well... The DF Red is now connected to my desktop PC.

This led me to revert to my Pioneer XDP-100R DAP, a great device though quite clunky in its own right; more aggravating were the glitches that started popping up when streaming Tidal content saved on my Sandisk SD card! A well-documented problem that Pioneer is aware of, but with no solution. Investing in an alternate 200 GB card seemed quite the costly remedy for an issue that should have been patched by either Pioneer or Tidal. And since that DAP is unable to stream without a Wifi connectivity, well... The DAP now sleeps in a drawer.

Let's just say the LG V30 could not have released at a more auspicious time for me!

I find it a bit crazy though, having to resort to getting an entirely new device when I'd already thrown like $1.500 worth of hardware at the wall, most of it in dedicated audio equipment, and could not get a clean, hi-fi stream, even with content saved offline. The V30 solved all of my issues in one fell swoop.
I suspect the Pioneer DAP of being a victim of its inadequacies as an Android device, its long-in-the-tooth CPU unable to process the download and high write speed to an SD card at the same time, especially when the requests start queuing. No such problem with a modern flagship phone.

I absolutely love the V30 as a phone, it is a night and day improvement compared to the massive PITA that was the entire Samsung UI. Something as simple as sending a text has transformed from an infuriating ordeal (for real!) to a pleasant, fuss-free interaction. And everything else follows. I thought Android was crappy and immature as an OS, coming from the glorious Nokia Lumia 1020 - turns out it was just Samsung, hard at it. At least they didn't set my house on fire. That's the best thing I have to say about the S7E :grin:

Apr 30, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #3,110 of 6,140
I'm splitting this up into two posts, sorry for the :book: Consider it my signature :nerd:
Though the V30 solved my previous issues, it does present some challenges of its own, esp. the amplification issue. As an aside LG could have made the life of users and commenters easier by calling their audio arrangement a Hi-fi DAC with Quad headphone amps!
My unlocked model doesn't show the mode, I had to download that Hi-Fi Status app. To answer a question posed in the first pages of this thread, it is apparently a choice by LG to hide the amplification mode, and those with direct access to that data can thank their provider.

That's made it a problematic source for my Klipsch x20i in-ears, with their impedance at 50 ohm. I'm at 70 to 75 out of 75 on the volume slider, which feels like crap. Not much better with my Aëdle VK-2 headphones, in spite of a 32-ohm impedance and 109 dB! It's safe to say LG overdid the volume control - or rather underdid it. Taking away the amp switch from the user is a plain bad move, even if for safety reasons it should be automated by default. In Aux mode the VK-2 at 50 to 55 is enough. But I hate plugging jacks in and out - my VK-2 already has connection issues. Those plugs are made for switching cables a few times in the life of the headphones or iems, not for repeated pulling out and pushing in.
So I'm waiting for my jack extensions, namely the TRS Fisual S-Flex jack socket saver and a simple jack adapter without a cable by Vandesail. I'm eager to see if either one is compatible with a thin Spigen case.

Lastly, for people wondering about the difference in SQ between a V30 and the Dragonfly Red, I would say they are on a par quality-wise, with their distinct signatures. The V30 has the advantage of filters and EQ modes that make it several DACs in one. Although UAPP's equalizer goes some way towards bridging that particular gap. The V30 is generally airier while the DF Red has amazing body and low-end presence.
Beyond that it depends on the impedance and sensitivity of your headphones and iems.

With my desktop headphones, the Final Audio Sonorous VI, because of the 8-ohm impedance the LG V30 is nicer to use than the DF Red because the DF Red is so powerful that volume control is coarse. The LG V30 sounds just as good as a Sony PHA-1A, again with different frequency responses obviously. The PHA-1A feeds the Final Audio quite a hard-hitting treble; the pairing with Sony's own MDR-1A was smoother. The V30 is very full but softer in the highs.
It may be a touch too soft for the creamy Klipsch x20i, which benefit from the slight Sabre glare of the Pioneer XDP-100R.

I would give the Pioneer XDP-100R a slight edge on the V30 in terms of its sense of place and aeration. But it is a slightly aggressive source, not always the right choice when fed already hard-hitting metal, or the slightly sibilant diction of a Tricky. As many have stated, the minuscule difference is not worth the price hike nor the bother unless you can invest at least $1000 and then live with a compromised device with the hardware chops of a previous-gen phone, that will not get the latest software updates, and with streaming still not a given apparently, and at best limited to Wifi.
From the brief time I spent with both, the Chord Mojo and Rha Dacamp L1 are in the same ballpark as the V30 alone for me, albeit each has its own fine capabilities. Again they probably have a slight, relatively meaningless edge.

Even as a desktop device the V30 more than holds its own. I'll try comparing with the Pro-Ject Pre-Box S2 Digital, one of the most intriguing recent devices that I briefly auditioned last year and found great - at least as good as the Chord Mojo. You'll have to go quite far in price and bulk to better what remains a mere phone. Impressive!

Apr 30, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #3,111 of 6,140
DFR is pretty good, but it's another clunky dongle to carry and it can be a bit of a battery drain. The V30's battery life is awesome :)

I don't find it greatly affecting my iPhone SE 128GB but I do only use that for music playback with the DFR.

From a SQ perspective except for DSD or other formats the DFR can't handle without scaling, I still think the V30+ & DFR are as good as each other. I still have my DFR and will likely always keep it as my great fall-back device for use with a phone or PC. I will move on from the V30+ some point in the future while the DFR will always be usable (unless it dies on me).

With sensitive IEM's such as my Shure SE846's the DFR does have very slight background hiss while the V30+ is silent, but its not a "deal-breaker" level of hiss and if I also use my IEMatch with the SE846's no hiss.

May 1, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #3,112 of 6,140
Thanks! Did you compare LGV30 vs DFR with another phone? Thinking of selling my iPhone 8 plus and going for V30, but the sale is not going that well... if not I might opt for a DFR instead...

Sorry I only have an OTG cable with USB-C. My old phone, Asus Zenfone 2, has Micro USB. I should get an OTG cable for it but I don't have one at the moment.

May 2, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #3,115 of 6,140
Thanks to all for the input. Still doubting if the V30 is a keeper then.

Gonna miss the Apple ecosystem, and my 256gb is pure luxury, on the other hand a V30 sounds wonderful to my ears in comparison.
Really? I have 464GB in my V30. The oreo update with the AI camera is pretty cool too. My V30 can natively do dsd as well as 384khz pcm. Not something that the DFR can do.

Last edited:
May 2, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #3,117 of 6,140
I feel your pain. It took me a couple of weeks to completely escape. It's like quitting smoking though - there's zero chance of me ever going back to Apple :wink:

Well, as we got a free beamer with the V30 (the PH150G) and my partner is a big fan of the portability and overall not that bad quality, we’ve just decided to keep the V30 and give it a shot.

Let’s see how much time i will need to quit ‘smoking’. I can always go back if it doesn’t work out. :wink: good to know I can fall back to a support group :wink:

Last edited:
May 2, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #3,118 of 6,140
Well, as we got a free beamer with the V30 (the PH150G) and my partner is a big fan of the portability and overall not that bad quality, we’ve just decided to keep the V30 and give it a shot.

Let’s see how much time i will need to quit ‘smoking’. I can always go back if it doesn’t work out. :wink: good to know I can fall back to a support group :wink:
I wrote a long post about how I quit. It might help your transition:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/apple-ditching-3-5mm-jack.795656/page-2#post_12708687

The most difficult things to wean yourself off are iMessage and FaceTime. You just need to persuade your friends to get Whatsapp and/or live with the fact that your text bubbles are now going to be green. Other than that, it's plain sailing :)

May 4, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #3,119 of 6,140
Hey guys...never been in IEM fan, but I'm taking my first foray into that terrirtory with these as i hear good things about 'em and they should be just enough to kick the V30 into hi-impedance mode. Also purposely got in the larger form factor--I figure if i can 'handle' these, I can look into some of the great FS deals posted on here for more extreme versions :)
20180504_145449.jpg

May 5, 2018 at 5:16 AM Post #3,120 of 6,140
Hey guys...never been in IEM fan, but I'm taking my first foray into that terrirtory with these as i hear good things about 'em and they should be just enough to kick the V30 into hi-impedance mode. Also purposely got in the larger form factor--I figure if i can 'handle' these, I can look into some of the great FS deals posted on here for more extreme versions :)
One more down the rabbit hole :arrow_heading_down::ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back