LG V20 Sound Quality
Jan 11, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #3,316 of 4,141
Then it will be a 5000mah battery phone, and a thick one. I'm all for it :)
Mugen 9300mAh extended battery for the V20, you best friend for long travels.
Easily 5 days of use for calls/text/music/internet, as lons as you don't play heavy games.
And the back cover still allows for NFC, unlike cheaper extended batteries.

I don't use it for office days because it makes the phone bulky, but for travels it is unbeatable.

Jan 11, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #3,317 of 4,141
Headphones that I've used with an adapter to trigger high impedance after 2 months of usage finally triggered high impedance on their own without an adapter. I listened for hours and the amount of resolution that gets lost by using an adapter (Sennheiser one with volume knob that I've mentioned here) is surprisingly high. I knew that something had to be lost because of the cable length but did not expect it to be this audible. Well done LG, you've forced me to root now... Taking away control from user, especially in a phone that is aimed towards power users, is a terrible move.

Jan 11, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #3,318 of 4,141
So the first. 0 position

1.The first two adapters are plugged in advance.

Sorry, I didn't read all the posts here ( it's just impossible).
I saw this impedance trick somewhere and somebody mentioned your name so.... I went searching.

I just don't understand why the need of 2 adapters ( extender + impedance adapter ) if there are for instance 75 ohms up to 150 ohms impedance adapters out there that are 3.5mm to 3.5mm?
Can I just use only the 3.5mm to 3.5mm impedance , without the extender? I mean, why the extra adapter ( between the phone and impedance plug adapter) ?

Thanks in advance

Jan 11, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #3,319 of 4,141
I still don't understand why the people using all these dodgy techniques, still think "tricking" low impedance headphones\iems into engaging the "High Impedance" (I'm thinking they called it that for a good reason), is a good idea. Just find a pair of 50 ohm's or more devices on amazon until you find one you like. Hell the VE Monk Plus will trigger it wonderfully and it''s cheap as all get out.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #3,320 of 4,141
I still don't understand why the people using all these dodgy techniques still think "tricking" low impedance headphones\iems into engaging the "High Impedance" (I'm thinking they called it that for a good reason) is a good idea. Just find a pair of 50 ohm's or more devices on amazon until you find one you like. Hell the VE Monk Plus will trigger it wonderfully and it' cheap as all get out.

There are some legit reasons why some would want to. There are headphones that simply work very well with just a bit more power than what low impedance mode does, I think Audeze iSine planar IEMs were mentioned here as a very good example.
For me, I am using a very heavy parametric EQ on a pair of DIY earbuds and I don't want to use software to increase anything because it always adds distortion or other irregularities, so I reduce using EQ and use hardware to bring the sound back up and essentially boost the frequencies that I originally wanted to. Neutron player has a seriously powerful 30-band parametric EQ which can be a miracle if used properly with the idea of preserving purity of the original sound - like most audiophiles I do not tolerate digital alterations to the sound with the exception of properly done parametric EQ to reduce peaks, flatten the fr. response etc.

I do understand where you are coming from though, I certainly would agree that just going from low-gain to high-gain in order to make everything extremely loud isn't the most commendable thing to do, but on the other hand, we need to give other head-fiers some credit - most people here do have a certain knowledge about audio equipment and aren't doing things just for the sake of doing it like a regular consumer might.

Jan 11, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #3,321 of 4,141
Headphones that I've used with an adapter to trigger high impedance after 2 months of usage finally triggered high impedance on their own without an adapter. I listened for hours and the amount of resolution that gets lost by using an adapter (Sennheiser one with volume knob that I've mentioned here) is surprisingly high. I knew that something had to be lost because of the cable length but did not expect it to be this audible. Well done LG, you've forced me to root now... Taking away control from user, especially in a phone that is aimed towards power users, is a terrible move.

power users root...

Jan 11, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #3,322 of 4,141
I still don't understand why the people using all these dodgy techniques, still think "tricking" low impedance headphones\iems into engaging the "High Impedance" (I'm thinking they called it that for a good reason), is a good idea. Just find a pair of 50 ohm's or more devices on amazon until you find one you like. Hell the VE Monk Plus will trigger it wonderfully and it' cheap as all get out.

Agree 100% . I have lower impedance headphones that are relatively high sensitivity and they will sound best with lower-gain low-impedance mode just as designed. I think it is a great feature that works most of the time well, and just plug/replug if not and all will be fine.

On this same note, I just got a set of Sennheiser 480 Noise cancelling headphones. Interestingly they are 150Ohm when in active mode. Accordingly they always trip hi-impedance mode, and there is plenty of gain to drive them to adequate levels. Not surprisingly have read about others who never achieve the gain they need with these headphones ..just not loud enough. Again the V20 proves to be a great device!

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #3,323 of 4,141
power users root...

That isn't an excuse for LG to be honest, firstly, there must be a power user out there who doesn't have a need to root a phone nowadays, secondly, V20 is a flagship that might have appeal to some users who aren't 'power users' - regular audiophile doesn't necessarily have to be one for example.
I have rooted 3 of my previous phones and finally with V20 I felt like I didn't have to, but then the DAC output mode presented itself as a problem. I still don't want to root as it will void my warranty.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #3,324 of 4,141
I still don't understand why the people using all these dodgy techniques, still think "tricking" low impedance headphones\iems into engaging the "High Impedance" (I'm thinking they called it that for a good reason), is a good idea. Just find a pair of 50 ohm's or more devices on amazon until you find one you like. Hell the VE Monk Plus will trigger it wonderfully and it''s cheap as all get out.

I have a bunch of good headsets and I don't feel like buying another just to test something that in my opinion won't add much on sound quality, perhaps only on volume power...
A 75 ohm plug adapter is cheap enough for me to try these things just for fun

I was just curious so I wanted to ask the original poster why using 2 adapters ( an extender and the impedance one ) and why not ONLY the 3.5 mm impendance adapter.

In the meantime I have to read all kind of not related related posts and still no answer ...

EDIT- By the way these VE Monk Plus are even cheaper than the adapter, however, I need the ear-plug type ones...do you have more tips?

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #3,325 of 4,141
That isn't an excuse for LG to be honest, firstly, there must be a power user out there who doesn't have a need to root a phone nowadays, secondly, V20 is a flagship that might have appeal to some users who aren't 'power users' - regular audiophile doesn't necessarily have to be one for example.
I have rooted 3 of my previous phones and finally with V20 I felt like I didn't have to, but then the DAC output mode presented itself as a problem. I still don't want to root as it will void my warranty.

until manufacturers and cell companies sell phones without all the unnecessary crap, rooting will always be necessary. also, warranty voided due to root is a common myth. rooting does not void your warranty as you can always return to stock

Jan 12, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #3,326 of 4,141
I have a bunch of good headsets and I don't feel like buying another just to test something that in my opinion won't add much on sound quality, perhaps only on volume power...
A 75 ohm plug adapter is cheap enough for me to try these things just for fun

I was just curious so I wanted to ask the original poster why using 2 adapters ( an extender and the impedance one ) and why not ONLY the 3.5 mm impendance adapter.

In the meantime I have to read all kind of not related related posts and still no answer ...

EDIT- By the way these VE Monk Plus are even cheaper than the adapter, however, I need the ear-plug type ones...do you have more tips?

Not the OP, but the answer is quite simple. I have read this entire thread and have done some fairly extensive testing with an impedance adaptor/extension. You don't want to listen with the impedance adaptor attached as it degrades the sound significantly. Using the extension and the adaptor in combination allows you to remove the adaptor and still have the phone remain in high impedance mode. It really is as simple as that.

Jan 12, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #3,327 of 4,141
until manufacturers and cell companies sell phones without all the unnecessary crap, rooting will always be necessary. also, warranty voided due to root is a common myth. rooting does not void your warranty as you can always return to stock

In order to root you have to unlock the bootloader. Once the bootloader is unlocked , you get the the damn warning triangle.

You can return to stock, but warning triangle will remain..

In this case, don't blame only the manufacturer, blame Google

Jan 12, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #3,328 of 4,141
i might plan to buy a v20. i read this discussion about this impedance adaptor. i don't know exactly what it means.
but there are a plethora of portable amp for headphones, with 3.5 mm both in and out ports to take the signal from v20 into the amp and listen to headphones using output from amp. i think there are also otg based portable dac/amps.
wouldn't this be a better solution? nothing will be broken, quality of music preserved and even boosted for high impedance headphones.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #3,329 of 4,141
In order to root you have to unlock the bootloader. Once the bootloader is unlocked , you get the the damn warning triangle.

You can return to stock, but warning triangle will remain..

In this case, don't blame only the manufacturer, blame Google

you wrong... you can relock the bootloader to return to your original state. not sure how you can blame Google. they provide the manufacturers the base and its the manufacturers that change it how they like

Jan 12, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #3,330 of 4,141
i might plan to buy a v20. i read this discussion about this impedance adaptor. i don't know exactly what it means.
but there are a plethora of portable amp for headphones, with 3.5 mm both in and out ports to take the signal from v20 into the amp and listen to headphones using output from amp. i think there are also otg based portable dac/amps.
wouldn't this be a better solution? nothing will be broken, quality of music preserved and even boosted for high impedance headphones.

Just buy the V20 and ignore a lot of posts in this thread and you'll be happy. I have an unrooted V20 with the stock LG player and a bunch of high impedance headphones and believe me, this thing kicks butt. My Fiio X5 with high impedance headphones feel like I need to amp them but not with the V20. The V20 is an audiophile's dream even in stock condition. I have thrown anything from 50 Ohms to 150 Ohms and the sound is deafeningly loud and crisp without any distortion.
At the used prices on Amazon this is a no brainer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back