LG V20 Sound Quality
Jan 6, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #3,301 of 4,141
Power of the V20/30 is streaming. Decompressing and sending to your ear.

Any composer/artist/band/group you want, type in their name and 'topic'. Not everything you want is there, but most is.

V20/30 asks the web. The web gives.

Jan 6, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #3,303 of 4,141
How wou

how would you download and uncompress?

I was using 4k Downloader. Download video, only. I decompress to .wav with JRiver Media Center. Select 'Convert to Audio'. Tag with JRiver.

You can convert to .flac, It doesn't sound as good, though. I only decompress to .wav.

.wav doesn't carry Tags, is the only problem. I don't care, though.

My library is what I want.

Jan 8, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #3,304 of 4,141
Remember that the downmixing is easily fixable by;
Rooting & editing build.prop -> audio.offload.pcm.16bit.enable=enable
And/or depending on location -> use LG Music Player.
This will enable flawless bitperfect playback from 16/44.1 to 24/192(highest I've been able to test).
I've done this mod on my rooted V20. Question - does the bitperfect playback work across all music players, or just the default LG Music app? I like using PowerAmp, so would be great if this mod also makes PowerAmp output 16/44.1.

Thanks

Jan 8, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #3,305 of 4,141
I've done this mod on my rooted V20. Question - does the bitperfect playback work across all music players, or just the default LG Music app? I like using PowerAmp, so would be great if this mod also makes PowerAmp output 16/44.1.

Thanks
You will need to confirm that yourself by playing back a music file, with your headphones plugged in and the phone plugged into the computer and send this adb command:
adb shell dumpsys media.audio_flinger

Under DIRECT output you will see bit depth and sample rate.

Jan 9, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #3,306 of 4,141
I recently bought AptX BT headphones with Active Noise cancelling and the difference in BT with AptX and non APTx is really easy to tell. I thought the JBL 700xxt was a decent pair but this $63 BT headphone I bought on Amazon with AptX blew the JBLs away. Crystal clear sound with AptX.

Jan 10, 2018 at 5:49 AM Post #3,307 of 4,141
RHA CL1 and V20 = very good synergy. For too much high tones I'm using Comply Foams T400.
How long have you been using the CL1 with yours? I bought an ex-demo CL750 in October and while I was really drawn to most of the frequency response (had a mind-blowing moment with a Slowdive song while I was in the shop testing them) initially the high-mid/low-treble spike was just brutal, even with the included Comply tips and all the burn-in it would have had from people trying it out. Weirdly though by December the spike had evened out and I’ve been wearing the 750 out with my V20 on a regular basis. I’ve been quietly curious about upgrading to the CL1 since then.

Jan 11, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #3,309 of 4,141

Thanks

Good question!

I was using Neutron Player today, which is good--but the LG player sounds better. Even if you set 3rd party applications right they still don't sound as good.

I've been experimenting with Linux. It, indeed, sounds better than Windows. And 3rd party applications don't sound as good as MPD (Music Player Daemon).

Its is crazy--the hardware obviously matters--the software wouldn't seem to matter--and the OS matters MUCH.

The less bits the OS and software use, the better the sound.

That is the secret of Android. That is why the LG player sounds better.

That is why machines like the Opus#2 sound even better! Because their OS's are simple.

Jan 11, 2018 at 5:18 AM Post #3,311 of 4,141
I disagree. Had Opus#1 and sold it. Lots of firmware quirks, default music player is disaster. Android gives the chance to change one player to another. What you can change in Opus? Nada.

Bad programming.

Try Linux straight-up. Hard to configure. Sounds better. MPD is very good.

Opus programmers are Koreans learning an English-based OS. They have to learn an Englishman's idea of mathematics.

When I was learning code I found that my ideas were much easier to translate into number. The English thought is very complicated. Look how complicated what I communicate is. Look at the symbols I must print and the grammar I must obey. Very, very complex.

Asians should create their own OS. Chinese are figuring it out.

One thing I've learned about being being half-West and half-East is that the Western mind is supremely complex.

The most important thing I've learned is that simplicity is wonder, itself. I suppose I have English to thank for that.

Jan 11, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #3,312 of 4,141
Just a little love letter to the V20.

I often take for granted how good this little phone is. Then I try out some other gear like the FIIO X7ii and realize that this phone does 99% of the things that other gear does, but is also my phone.

Its not perfect, but it's as close to perfect as I've ever gotten with a phone.

My fear is that it's a one of a kind right now. And should LG decide to give up on the v series, I'm stuck lugging around a DAP again. :frowning2:

Don't leave me v20

Jan 11, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #3,313 of 4,141
Just a little love letter to the V20.

I often take for granted how good this little phone is. Then I try out some other gear like the FIIO X7ii and realize that this phone does 99% of the things that other gear does, but is also my phone.

Its not perfect, but it's as close to perfect as I've ever gotten with a phone.

My fear is that it's a one of a kind right now. And should LG decide to give up on the v series, I'm stuck lugging around a DAP again. :frowning2:

Don't leave me v20

I wouldn't worry too much, there will always be good phones for audiophiles - if not from major global companies than certainly from strictly Asian companies because their target market values audio quality more than US, EU and other parts of the world do (in general obviously).
A bunch of phones are already very uninteresting to us because they removed audio components, however, I don't think it's impossible to see an audiophile phone with 2.5mm balanced jack and a 2.5->3.5 adapter in the box. Maybe LG V40, V50?

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #3,315 of 4,141
I disagree. Had Opus#1 and sold it. Lots of firmware quirks, default music player is disaster. Android gives the chance to change one player to another. What you can change in Opus? Nada.
Let me politely disagree here.
Since firmware 2.00 (new UI and better sound signature), Opus #1 is about the best standalone DAP you can get for 300$.
Wonderful signature with VERY large soundstage (even better with balanced output).
Outstanding autonomy even without powering it off, dead easy UI with everything less than 3 clicks away (this is called proper ergonomy, and I'm a professional ergonomy expert), and very few bugs that all have been removed except for the 10s bug, which should be removed with the next firmware and is very minor.
Upon very rare occurence of the music app freezing (usually after week-long hibernation), it restarts in less than 5 seconds without any hassle.

So unless you need network capapibility, it is a great package.
If you have owned Opus #1 before firmware 2.00, I would advise you to stop spreading such a negative feedback, it is clearly not up-to-date.
I don't know what you expected when you bought a DAP without Bluetooth and WiFi and then complain about not being able to switch apps...

I happen to own Opus #1, V10 and V20, and this is one of the only DAP that is worth a place in my bag when I travel, even though V10/V20 are very nice phone/DAPs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back