LG V20 Sound Quality
Oct 5, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #2,988 of 4,141
Just curioius. Cant argue argue about clunky. It doesnt have more memory, so it wont do better there. You lose the 2nd screen if you liked that in the V20. You also lose the replaceable battery, which is huge for some. Better audio.....unless you thinking MQA, I dont think so. It is the same HW/DAC setup. I do like MQA decode...but I am not sure when that will even be available on android with it... probably Android 8.X somewhere. So thats why I ask...to pay more and get just styling and speed.

If you are into photography it is better there...and video is better. But I have gotten used to the v20 camera and how to use it well finally.

I doubled down on the V20 :)

Oct 5, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #2,990 of 4,141
Just curioius. Cant argue argue about clunky. It doesnt have more memory, so it wont do better there. You lose the 2nd screen if you liked that in the V20. You also lose the replaceable battery, which is huge for some. Better audio.....unless you thinking MQA, I dont think so. It is the same HW/DAC setup. I do like MQA decode...but I am not sure when that will even be available on android with it... probably Android 8.X somewhere. So thats why I ask...to pay more and get just styling and speed.

If you are into photography it is better there...and video is better. But I have gotten used to the v20 camera and how to use it well finally.

I doubled down on the V20 :)
Not necessarily memory, but I'm hoping the new snapdragon would help with freezing, maybe not.

Will see about audio, maybe not.

I already get mqa on v20 through uapp and tidal on Jay z 4:44 album. If you have Tidal, v20 and Uapp you can do it right now!

Oct 5, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #2,991 of 4,141
Not necessarily memory, but I'm hoping the new snapdragon would help with freezing, maybe not.

Will see about audio, maybe not.

I already get mqa on v20 through uapp and tidal on Jay z 4:44 album. If you have Tidal, v20 and Uapp you can do it right now!

MQA requires decode ....otherwise it is not MQA. If you had an MQA USB Dac it may work. Not in the v20. In the v20 none of the MQA stream is unfolded.

Oct 5, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #2,992 of 4,141
Which amp are you guys using with the V20 that makes the difference in SQ?

I'm trying the FiiO A5, difference is very noticeable, but I would use something more mid/high-end here.
I'm using the ibasso pb2 in high bandwidth mode, with burson V5i. Good stuff right there with the V20. The RSA intruder is next level up. Both amps in balanced mode. For extra sizzle, a silver plated occ cable is used for the interconnect.

Oct 6, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #2,994 of 4,141
ok
MQA requires decode ....otherwise it is not MQA. If you had an MQA USB Dac it may work. Not in the v20. In the v20 none of the MQA stream is unfolded.
ok this sounds so good i Just had to post. Take a look at the specs on the bottom
hifi.png

46rq2d7Kbx4nyE4K3

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #2,997 of 4,141
Great, thanks. Looks like UAPP improved. Last time I tested its switches were not working as expected.
BTW, I assume you are playing lossless content, right?
found my previous test post in Jan.12, it looks interesting.
just tested UAPP on V20, and it behaved quite interestingly...

for 16/44 content:
it will output as 32bit pcmfloat format in 44k without SRC, but volume control is done in 16bit without dither. resulting in not much different quality as most generic players, and worse than poweramp.

for 24bit content:
sometimes it does the same as above, including the 16bit volume control, resulting in significantly worse quality than most generic players.
sometimes it outputs to 16/48 mixer path, also resulting in significantly worse quality than most generic players.

it played so much complicated tricks yet the result is not satisfactory, such a pity...it has a chance to achieve the best quality for all contents but it did the opposite...

so it was outputing in 32/44 all along.
problem is, is the volume control being done properly now?

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #2,998 of 4,141
found my previous test post in Jan.12, it looks interesting.

so it was outputing in 32/44 all along.
problem is, is the volume control being done properly now?

I am not sure how pcmfloat works....maybe you can explain. Is it handed to to the DAC in this format or further converted back to PCM. Since volume is implemented in analog domain perhaps it doesnt matter. I need to understand what happens in android with it before handoff to the Hi-Fi DAC. All I can say is somehow, the V20/UAPP Combo sounds amazing to my ears (night/day better) than other media players playing the same file (if they can at all). As to why, it would be great to fully understand this.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #2,999 of 4,141

Glad is it sounding so good to you...that is what it is all about. Is the main point of the graphic to show that it is a 96Khz/24 Bit file you are enjoying and UAPP is rendering it correctly in the V20? I am impressed with the DSD64/128 Decode to PCM quality too.... it converts these to 176.4Khz PCM and sounds better than my ES9018 doing the same in HW (less hash, better highs). UAPP High Quality DSD mode makes a difference. The V20 has CPU cycles enough to do it well most of the time. UAPP really makes Hi-Res Files and the v20 shine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back