LG V20 Sound Quality
Oct 5, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #2,971 of 4,141
If the Hi-Fi logo is enabled in the status, the DAC path is through the ESS SOC. Impedance detection is simply related to gain settings and ease of use with headphones of differing sensitivity/impedance. The IC amp is more capable than that in most phones, but IMO, the V20 sounds best with good quality typical headphones suited for portables --- ie low impedance/high-sensitivity. I have tried all kinds. But with all good headphones, one can easily detect the fidelity difference by toggling on/off the Hi-Fi mode --- super easy to do in the status banner. There will be differences in gain of course, but listen carefully at the integrity and crispness of the high frequencies, low frequency definition, rhythmic sock/slam. The ESS HiFI mode is night/day hands down better. This makes huge amounts of sense considering the advanced filtering done by ESS, Jitter Rejection, 32 bit expansion for less attenuation loss --- etc...
But i thought or heard someone say Tidal and Google music don't use the ess dac? Even when the hifi is on?

Oct 5, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #2,972 of 4,141
But i thought or heard someone say Tidal and Google music don't use the ess dac? Even when the hifi is on?

Untrue. The DAC is always used when the Hi-Fi is on. What Tidal and Google Music both do is send music out that causes the OS to SRC to 48Khz when they play. This reduces fidelity by injecting noise and distortion into the signal. The Hi-Fi DAC faithfully reproduces this signal, nevertheless.

Oct 5, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #2,973 of 4,141
well...actually not always the same, that depends on the app, the system and the content.

mp3/aac/flac/etc. can be played as raw bitstream and decoded by hardware codec (lower power consumption and sometimes better quality)
or as PCM stream and decoded by application processor (better compatibility and easier for post processing)

android supports both. the only way to find out which path is used for a certain scenario is by testing.

These comments were about the two specific output examples given earlier, not a generic comment. For these samples....they were a PCM bitstream.

Oct 5, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #2,976 of 4,141
Untrue. The DAC is always used when the Hi-Fi is on. What Tidal and Google Music both do is send music out that causes the OS to SRC to 48Khz when they play. This reduces fidelity by injecting noise and distortion into the signal. The Hi-Fi DAC faithfully reproduces this signal, nevertheless.
So why does the lg app sampling rate 48000 instead of 41000?

Oct 5, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #2,977 of 4,141
So why does the lg app sampling rate 48000 instead of 41000?

I loaded LG music player and tested it on 3 CDs I have encoded in FLAC. All the tracks did play at 48Khz as you stated. I am not why people say LG player sounds best. I loaded one track and A/B Compared it on UAPP (which rendered it correctly at 44.1 this time). The difference in fidelity was night/day. LG Music app was fuzzy/out of focus and had unnatural high frequencies. UAPP was full of detail (again cause it played through at 44.1 all the way to the DAC). LG Music player is so buggy, the Network share feature barely works. UAPP works great. Uninstall :)

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #2,980 of 4,141
What is redbook?

When Sony and Philips were co-inventing the compact disc they created a series of standards that all compact discs and their playback devices would have to adhere to. These standards were contained in a book with a red cover. Today the "Redbook" reference is used predominately to describe the 16 bit 41k sampling rate of the CD format.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #2,981 of 4,141
When Sony and Philips were co-inventing the compact disc they created a series of standards that all compact discs and their playback devices would have to adhere to. These standards were contained in a book with a red cover. Today the "Redbook" reference is used predominately to describe the 16 bit 41k sampling rate of the CD format.
ok. Don't know if I could add a pic but when i check viper4android, uapp sampling rate is 41000, but the lg music app on v20 says 48000. I believe i changed uapp sample rate settings to variable on v20.

Oct 5, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #2,983 of 4,141
Hello,

I'm using the Fidelio X2 through the FiiO e10k on my PC and lowering the gain for 9500Hz through Equalizer APO, otherwise high tones will pierce my ears...
Is there any way to set gain for custom frequencies on the V20?

Thanks,
Emil.

Oct 5, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #2,984 of 4,141
Hello,

I'm using the Fidelio X2 through the FiiO e10k on my PC and lowering the gain for 9500Hz through Equalizer APO, otherwise high tones will pierce my ears...
Is there any way to set gain for custom frequencies on the V20?

Thanks,
Emil.

You need to install an equalizer app like Equalizer FX from the play store. It is a front-end to the android facility in the mixer that does this signal processing. I generally dont listen to tracks or headphones where the benefits outway the detriments. Once in a while I may play with it and think this one is a good one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back