LG V20 Sound Quality
Aug 30, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #2,838 of 4,141
@jagwap are you not using an dac or amplifier for better sound?

No. On the go I wanted to lower the number of devices. The V20 finally allowed me to. The K872 are showing up the differences between a phone and a desktop rig, but it is still a good musical source.

But when I dropped my V20, instead of repairing it I bought a G6, which I thought was a little better:

Post #224

Not enough to warrant the purchase maybe, but a little.

Aug 31, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #2,839 of 4,141
What does this do?
80-NV324-1 C Linux Audio Compress Offload Playback and PCM Offload Playback

3.1 Enable/disable PCM offload playback

In system properties, PCM offload can be enabled/disabled by setting
audio.offload.pcm.16bit.enable to TRUE. This property ensures that 16-bit PCM content, e.g.,
16 bit PCM/.wav contents and other OpenMAX decoders (WMA) which output 16-bit PCM data,
is offloaded.

adb shell setprop audio.offload.pcm.16bit.enable true

The audio.offload.pcm.24bit.enable property ensures that 24 bit PCM content, e.g., 24 bit
PCM/.wav contents and 24 bit decoded PCM offload, is offloaded.

adb shell setprop audio.offload.pcm.24bit.enable true

On the MSM8994 chipset, audio.offload.pcm.24bit.enable is enabled and
audio.offload.pcm.16bit.enable is disabled by default. On the MSM8992 and MSM8996 chipsets,
both flags are enabled by default.

Aug 31, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #2,840 of 4,141
not only does it skip the SRC, more importantly, it also skips the digital volume control.
volume is passed directly to HAL, and handled by the ESS DAC driver, whom can does it much more properly.

Aug 31, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #2,841 of 4,141

audio.offload.pcm.16bit.enable to TRUE. This property ensures that 16-bit PCM content, e.g.,
16 bit PCM/.wav contents and other OpenMAX decoders (WMA) which output 16-bit PCM data,
is offloaded.

The audio.offload.pcm.24bit.enable property ensures that 24 bit PCM content, e.g., 24 bit

audio.offload.pcm.16bit.enable is disabled by default. On the MSM8992 and MSM8996 chipsets,

But only on a rooted phone?

Aug 31, 2017 at 6:06 AM Post #2,842 of 4,141
I haven't been following the entire thread. There was just one question.

Is it possible to use Poweramp alpha on the V20 as a replacement of the LG Music player app? What settings should I consider?
I see discussions around the Android MediaPlayer API, does this imply that I have to use the AudioTrack Output on the Poweramp Alpha? And possibly Float32 Sample Format?

What are the observations using the OpenSL output Format in Poweramp Alpha?

Sep 1, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #2,846 of 4,141

is offloaded.

have you successfully done this or is just a theory? I rooted my huawei mediapad m3 and changed the audio_profiles.xml and it did zero for me. I'm guessing that the build.prop is really how this is achieved? And you're updating the build.prop by an adb command I take it? Sounds easy enough. I'm comfortable with rooting and just may buy a v20 and try this. Was there a thread on xda that you followed?

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #2,847 of 4,141
have you successfully done this or is just a theory? I rooted my huawei mediapad m3 and changed the audio_profiles.xml and it did zero for me. I'm guessing that the build.prop is really how this is achieved? And you're updating the build.prop by an adb command I take it? Sounds easy enough. I'm comfortable with rooting and just may buy a v20 and try this. Was there a thread on xda that you followed?
done it, read previous posts in this thread.

it's for qualcomm platform only.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #2,848 of 4,141
just to confirm and sum up the massive amounts of great(and some outdated) information, The v20 has all four dacs selected when in hifi mode, and only chooses the voltage output(1 or 2 volt rms) dependent on JUST the impedance of the headphone and doesn't account for the sensitivity. Either way, I can be assured that the phone will output more than loud enough audio for most reasonable portable headphones. the v20 doesn't seem to suffer from the bootlooping issues that plauged some v10s and it fairly reliable as a phone as well. If someone can confirm this, that would be awesome.

Sep 1, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #2,849 of 4,141
just to confirm and sum up the massive amounts of great(and some outdated) information, The v20 has all four dacs selected when in hifi mode, and only chooses the voltage output(1 or 2 volt rms) dependent on JUST the impedance of the headphone and doesn't account for the sensitivity. Either way, I can be assured that the phone will output more than loud enough audio for most reasonable portable headphones. the v20 doesn't seem to suffer from the bootlooping issues that plauged some v10s and it fairly reliable as a phone as well. If someone can confirm this, that would be awesome.

Yes. I own v20, pink version, and it's very reliable. Maybe for those who are on the fence about v20, try to get the pink. Pink is the most recent v20 launched in 2017 for valentine. So they might have ironed out many issues, if there were

Sep 2, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #2,850 of 4,141
Now V20 US stock (US996) arrived. Comparing to V20 B&O, Meizu Pro5, here is what I found:

V20 stock vs. V20 B&O
- They sound different. Stock is clean, pure, B&O version's fancy tune up is not there. What I hear is pure signature of DAC and opamp.
- So some issues with B&O version disappeared: 1) bloated mid-bass - no more. the frequency response is very good, very balanced. 2) details - all details are there, great details.

V20 stock vs. Meizu Pro5
- Have to say, I like the frequency balanceness of V20 stock better than Pro5. Compared to V20 stock, Pro5's highs is a little bit recessed. And Pro5's mid lows is a tiny little bit more bloated than V20 stock. V20's frequency response is very linear, it is just perfect.

In the follow areas, I like Meizu Pro5 better than V20 stock. The differences are very small though, only shows up when using very good IEM:

1. Naturalness
- V20 stock is extremely detailed. So is Meizu Pro5. But the details are presented in different ways. V20 sounds 'digital', while Pro5 sounds 'real'. Pro5 is able to render everything more realistic, more 'believable'. Pro5 can render everything in a 'believable' detailed way. While V20's sound is also detailed, but not as 'believable'.
I guess this may due to different opamp used in Pro5 vs V20, and due to filter settings to the ESS DAC chip. (ESS DACs has very complicated filter setting choices, by choosing different filters, the sound can come out more digital vs. more analog)

2. Sound stage
- Compared to Pro5, V20's sound stage is narrower, probably because of LG software engineer intentionally added digital crossfeed between left/right channels? this can cause such sound stage. I guess this is not due to hardware, it is due to software.

Conclusion: V20 has extremely good hardware, it holds the crown compared to other phones. But to my preference, Pro5 is still better, due to better filter tuning, and better opamp hardware. How it is able to present a immersive, natural, believable listening experience is very unique, only other DAC can achieve this is Schiit Yggy.

Next I will try Vivo XPlay6, and buy couple of 2nd hand Meizu Pro5 (new ones are no longer available) because it is so magical, save them in lockbox, in case the world fall into nuclear winter.

V20 (Dual Sim version, with B&O Play tuning) arrived. Did a test with Westone UM Pro 50 IEM.
First, V20 sound quality is great, much better than iPhone, Samsung S6, S7, S8.

Now, comparing to Meizu Pro5 (ESS 9018K2M, flashed to earliest factory ROM 4.x.x), so far my favorite Hi Fi phone. Impressions:
V20 with B&O tuning - sound quality is not as good as Meizu Pro5 from all aspects. Means I cannot find any area that the sound of V20 is better than Pro5, I tried hard, but couldn't find any.

And the following areas are where V20 is worse than Pro5:
1. Bass
There is a big bump in V20's mid-bass. I suspected it is caused by the B&O tuning, changing the internal EQ or DSP algorithm. Have to say this artificial bump is well done, it is not muddy or distorted, it is a beautiful bump.
But for a good IEM, this bump is not needed, it seriously degrades listening experience.
2. Details, Immersive
Less details, less immersive feeling. Compared to Pro5, it is like AM vs FM. Again, I suspect is caused by B&O tuning of the DSP algorithm. They may want to hide the harshness of the included B&O Headset, so added too much filters to smooth-out the sound. The result is less details, less transparency.
3. Naturalness
After 5 mins listening, the over-all feeling is strident. Don't know what is exactly the cause. Maybe also due to B&O tuning.

For now, I will blame everything to the B&O tuning, instead of the hardware itself. Because I have experiences similar things with Pro5.
With Meizu Pro5, only the DSP algorithms in the original 4.x.x firmware is good, it is very transparent and direct. Later Meizu hired 'famous musicians' to tune the audio algorithm, the result is similar to what V20 + B&O tuning sounds like: bloated bass, less transparent, less details.

Suspect the purpose of B&O tuning is to make the included B&O headset sound the best.
Have to say, the issues I state above with the tuning is not that big. It is only apparent with good, detailed, full bassed phones, e.g. Westone Pro 50. Maybe most of the sub $300 IEMs will actually benefit from this tuning.

Well, for now I will not give up, will buy a US V20 to try. Or someone can tell me how to flash it with a none B&O firmware?

Although B&O made its name on euphoric colorations and surface beauty over quality. So not shocked at all by your presumptions. Looking forward to hearing what you think of the V20US stock. They can be find very cheap now, perhaps in particular in the cusp of the V30 launch.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back