LG V20 Sound Quality
May 9, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #2,506 of 4,141
Screenshot_2017-05-09-09-38-30.png
[/URL]

May 9, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #2,507 of 4,141

I guess Asia version V20 lacks this manual custom functionality on the stock equalizer , in exchange for the B&O tuned .
Only the US version V20 has this custom adjustable functionality .
I for one prefer these custom adjustable eq over the B&O tuned version .

As a result of not having a stock equalizer on my previous HTC one max , I had used this as a substitute

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.smartandroidapps.equalizer

I also use it on my V20 currently , but it seems there's several bug issues on the Android 7.0 version , I had experienced not a single issue with the HTC one max , but having issues on the V20 .

Last edited:
May 10, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #2,509 of 4,141
Hi all, just thought I'd throw my personal view on the Sound Quality of the LG V20, compared to the V10 which I still currently own ... I currently own Dunu DN-2000J iems. They pair well with the V10 but on the V20 (I can't put my finger on it) they sound a bit harsh (sibilant?) at certain high frequencies, not on all tracks though so could be a source recording issue? not sure. My mate had a listen (he has the same iems) and he has come up with the same conclusion. Further to this, I have noted that the soundstage, etc seems to be excellent on the V20, just like the V10 however, I think the V20 sounds better to me in that regard, but again when I listen to voices they seem to be less spacious and more congested to the centre in sound compared to the V10 ....don't know what I'm describing here, not sure if this is related to the high frequency issue noted ..... now I also recently bought a pair of Vsonic GR07 Bass Edition (the new 2017 edition, detachable cables) that have a 50ohm rating +/- 10% , on the V10 on several connections it triggered high gain mode (no adapter attached, just straight headphone plugged in) but on other occasions it doesn't detect it and plays in normal gain mode....weird, I'm guessing the border line 50 ohm is confusing the V10 AMP hardware Gain switch, etc. ..... on the V20 though it stays in normal mode always .... just my quick opinion overall I wanted to share with all and curious if anyone else has specific views on the Sound from these two devices ... I prefer the Sound quality of the V10 over the V20 even though the V20 seems to be better in certain areas audio wise but the high frequency issue along with the thinness in the upper range (vocals) is annoying (very prevalent on the Dunu 2000j's) ....​

May 10, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #2,510 of 4,141
Yes , I'll take noted and take extra care on that artificial raised impedance on the 2.5 when used on the V20 with high gain mode .

From this screen shot , looks like my V20 version is similar to yours , with exactly the same pre tuned eq , no 5 band adjustable eq .
mine is the Asia version and its tuned by B&O , which comes With B&O headset inside the box , and also spot a B&O logo behind the back case .
Are yours the same ?

I am not sure which version we have in South Africa, but mine is not B&O tuned (no markings on case back) and no bundled headset. So perhaps there are actually 3 versions of the V20?

May 10, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #2,511 of 4,141
Screenshot_2017-05-10-07-59-10.png

US Verizon version has no custom eq.

May 10, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #2,513 of 4,141
Can someone summarize where things are at with this phone? If I were to put a bunch of standard lossless cd rips on an SD card, is there any way to play it back in it's native 44100 Hz sample rate? Are streaming services also degraded by sample rate conversion? Sorry if these answers are here. I read through the thread and ended up even more confused.

May 10, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #2,514 of 4,141
Can someone summarize where things are at with this phone? If I were to put a bunch of standard lossless cd rips on an SD card, is there any way to play it back in it's native 44100 Hz sample rate? Are streaming services also degraded by sample rate conversion? Sorry if these answers are here. I read through the thread and ended up even more confused.
From what I learned from FiiO. They had to redo the entire audio engine for the X5III in Android to avoid SRC for all 3rd party apps.

Though XDA mentions that only apps that utilize default android audio engine can get 96 khz+ without downsampling
https://forum.xda-developers.com/v20/themes/list-music-players-dac-t3536815
Kinda confused

May 11, 2017 at 4:10 AM Post #2,515 of 4,141
Regarding mp3 playback, I found this post on Quora (of all places) and I thoroughly enjoyed the passion as well as the no BS sentiment behind the post (dated 03/17). I cannot say that I find the character of the V20 "warm" however, but that's the only statement I cannot second:

LG V20 uses 4 DACs of ESS Sabre 9218 type , that shares the same architecture (hyperstream II ) of ESS Sabre PRO 9038 , a Desktop DAC , YET to be available in any High-End Audio Equipment . The mere implementation of this DAC in portable device is a feat of its own (ibasso DX200 (DAP) has attempted using 9038 but it is yet to become available , while the implementation being Very Buggy)

But , LG ALSO used an Headphone Amp along with the DAC , extending its headphone driving capabilities upto about 600 ohm (aka very high) , Something MOST PRO DAPs (Astell n Kern , Fiio , Sony ZX2 , Onkyo , Opus , Lotoo etc etc ) Cant do , requiring an EXTRA headphone Amp .

The Combination of DAC + Headphone Amp , in a single device , as used in LG V20 can Possibly Only be matched with Mojo DAC (Portable of Hugo platform).

Set Aside the HardWare Chitchatter . They are for only but gawking at , IF the experience is not proportional.

My personal Experience - From Stings ‘Fragile' to Chers ‘Rain , Rain' ; From The Cranberries. ‘When You're Gone' to Avrils ‘When You're Gone' (lol!) ; From Bonjovi ‘Lie to me' to Cher ‘Lie to me' , Agnes ‘I Believe' to Holly Starr ‘I Believe' , Or even Ed Sheeran ‘Fall' to Inna ‘Fall' …..I tested this device THOROGHLY through and through ..

My Schiit Modi+Magni Desktop FAILED to bring OUT the ORGANIC details embedded in the 320kbps CBR mp3s , that LG V20 OVERWHELMINGLY delivered each time , Even at Much lower volume , when using its FANTASTIC ‘high-impedance mode' with Soundmagic E80c (A reference grade IEM)

It finally got proved to me that the LG Implementation of Mp3 UPSCALING was Indeed successful and MUCH better that Sony DSEE HX implementation of similar kind.

So , the Answer to Your Question is , Yeah , I totally Disagree with most Answers here , As I tested the device firsthand for Days , LG INDEED WILL improve Sound of Mp3s , You Will hear Many more Intricate details , previously unheard by you , More Layering , Better Separation , Sufficient Sibilance , All being presented in A warm , musical Background , given you use ‘high impedance mode' in it .

(Thanks to Original Poster B.R.A.T.)

May 11, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #2,517 of 4,141
Looking to source another piece of micro SD card with the V20 , preferably one with the latest generation and a storage of 128 or 256 GB .

I heard different brand / types of micro SD card does has some effects over quality on the audio files while playing back on players . True or false I'm not sure .
But would like to seek opinions on which type / brand is most suitable to be used on the V20 for audio files ?

Currently I'm using my 4yrs old Samsung evo 32gb class10 card for audio storage .

Any Top notch , reliable card to recommend ?

May 11, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #2,519 of 4,141
Regarding mp3 playback, I found this post on Quora (of all places) and I thoroughly enjoyed the passion as well as the no BS sentiment behind the post (dated 03/17). I cannot say that I find the character of the V20 "warm" however, but that's the only statement I cannot second:

LG V20 uses 4 DACs of ESS Sabre 9218 type , that shares the same architecture (hyperstream II ) of ESS Sabre PRO 9038 , a Desktop DAC , YET to be available in any High-End Audio Equipment . The mere implementation of this DAC in portable device is a feat of its own (ibasso DX200 (DAP) has attempted using 9038 but it is yet to become available , while the implementation being Very Buggy)

But , LG ALSO used an Headphone Amp along with the DAC , extending its headphone driving capabilities upto about 600 ohm (aka very high) , Something MOST PRO DAPs (Astell n Kern , Fiio , Sony ZX2 , Onkyo , Opus , Lotoo etc etc ) Cant do , requiring an EXTRA headphone Amp .

The Combination of DAC + Headphone Amp , in a single device , as used in LG V20 can Possibly Only be matched with Mojo DAC (Portable of Hugo platform).

Set Aside the HardWare Chitchatter . They are for only but gawking at , IF the experience is not proportional.

My personal Experience - From Stings ‘Fragile' to Chers ‘Rain , Rain' ; From The Cranberries. ‘When You're Gone' to Avrils ‘When You're Gone' (lol!) ; From Bonjovi ‘Lie to me' to Cher ‘Lie to me' , Agnes ‘I Believe' to Holly Starr ‘I Believe' , Or even Ed Sheeran ‘Fall' to Inna ‘Fall' …..I tested this device THOROGHLY through and through ..

My Schiit Modi+Magni Desktop FAILED to bring OUT the ORGANIC details embedded in the 320kbps CBR mp3s , that LG V20 OVERWHELMINGLY delivered each time , Even at Much lower volume , when using its FANTASTIC ‘high-impedance mode' with Soundmagic E80c (A reference grade IEM)

It finally got proved to me that the LG Implementation of Mp3 UPSCALING was Indeed successful and MUCH better that Sony DSEE HX implementation of similar kind.

So , the Answer to Your Question is , Yeah , I totally Disagree with most Answers here , As I tested the device firsthand for Days , LG INDEED WILL improve Sound of Mp3s , You Will hear Many more Intricate details , previously unheard by you , More Layering , Better Separation , Sufficient Sibilance , All being presented in A warm , musical Background , given you use ‘high impedance mode' in it .

(Thanks to Original Poster B.R.A.T.)

Initially , i doesn't find the sonic characteristic signature on the V20 as being warm as compared to my previous HTC one ,
playing through on my 41 ohms on both streaming apps ( Spotify ) stock player + Hifi dac enable , without applying any preset eq or 3rd party eq , that was initially before using the trickery .

After using the trickery to switch the V20 into high impedance gain mode and the help from 3rd party equalizer apps tuned it to perfect it with my 41ohms , it all change , probably artificial changes cos I rely heavily equalizing for most of my music , but it all change for the better , I can feel the warmth , full bodied , analytical at the same time .

High impedance mode holds the key for under 50ohms .

I don't know the rationale behind LG opt to implement the sensing thing on the impedance over fixed output is the correct way of doing it , but it definitely helps if LG comes out with a interface which allows users to flip the switch instead of the sensor thing .

Imagine if one own a high end 30ohm iem which cost over 2k dollars purchase the V20 for serious audiophile , and find out that the device doesn't allow the user to power it up to push the iem to its potential due to a restriction on impedance , unless the user change gear .

Fortunately , there's the trickery , and the root method fix to overcome the sensor thing . Without the trick and root fix to solve the impedance problem , no matter how good the V20 is .. for me there is no value .

Interested in this phone both to replace nexus 5 as well as mojo/ipod brick

Hi , given if you use high impedance mode on it , go for it .
For me , The V20 is a true 1 device 1 headset for on the go , initially on first heard I was very disappointing . Due to my iem is under 50ohms , so unable to switch into high impedance mode , that satisfying moment kicks in after I use the trick to switch to high impedance mode .

it had worked so well for the past 2days for me, in high impedance mode on , there's more than enough output power to drive my iem without having a external amp and powerbank along with me , ( V20 on high impedance mode doesn't need the help of a external amp )
just a additional piece of spare battery ( which comes as a gift from LG with the purchase of V20 ) in my left pocket can lasted me a whole day .

May 11, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #2,520 of 4,141
Initially , i doesn't find the sonic characteristic signature on the V20 as being warm as compared to my previous HTC one ,
playing through on my 41 ohms on both streaming apps ( Spotify ) stock player + Hifi dac enable , without applying any preset eq or 3rd party eq , that was initially before using the trickery .

After using the trickery to switch the V20 into high impedance gain mode and the help from 3rd party equalizer apps tuned it to perfect it with my 41ohms , it all change , probably artificial changes cos I rely heavily equalizing for most of my music , but it all change for the better , I can feel the warmth , full bodied , analytical at the same time .

High impedance mode holds the key for under 50ohms .

I don't know the rationale behind LG opt to implement the sensing thing on the impedance over fixed output is the correct way of doing it , but it definitely helps if LG comes out with a interface which allows users to flip the switch instead of the sensor thing .

Imagine if one own a high end 30ohm iem which cost over 2k dollars purchase the V20 for serious audiophile , and find out that the device doesn't allow the user to power it up to push the iem to its potential due to a restriction on impedance , unless the user change gear .

Fortunately , there's the trickery , and the root method fix to overcome the sensor thing . Without the trick and root fix to solve the impedance problem , no matter how good the V20 is .. for me there is no value .

Hi , given if you use high impedance mode on it , go for it .
For me , The V20 is a true 1 device 1 headset for on the go , initially on first heard I was very disappointing . Due to my iem is under 50ohms , so unable to switch into high impedance mode , that satisfying moment kicks in after I use the trick to switch to high impedance mode .

it had worked so well for the past 2days for me, in high impedance mode on , there's more than enough output power to drive my iem without having a external amp and powerbank along with me , ( V20 on high impedance mode doesn't need the help of a external amp )
just a additional piece of spare battery ( which comes as a gift from LG with the purchase of V20 ) in my left pocket can lasted me a whole day .

hi there...would be for my sony z1r cans or flc 8s iems..maybe senn hd650 (if i keep them)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back