LG V20 Sound Quality
May 1, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #2,476 of 4,141
i just got my v 20 and paired ath-a700 at home, incredible sq !! i never expect it can perform so good.

i have some questions:
1. can it be as transport, otg type c / usb to dac? what output sample rate would it be?

thank you.

Yes you can use the V20 as a transport, all you need to do is buy an OTG cable. Android natively upsamples to 24/192khz unless you use a bitperfect player such as USB Audio Player Pro.

May 2, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #2,477 of 4,141
Has anyone tried the Westone UM 30 PRO with the V20? It is said in the spec sheet that these iem's are 54ohms. Therefore would like to know if the V20 kicks into high impedance mode without any sort of extra adapted with the 30 PROs. Also since I do not own a v20, can someone enlighten me on what is the difference in terms of signature or quality, between the high impedance and the normal mode? Or is it just meant for the loudness/volume level increase? Thanks!

May 5, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #2,478 of 4,141
Has anyone tried the Westone UM 30 PRO with the V20? It is said in the spec sheet that these iem's are 54ohms. Therefore would like to know if the V20 kicks into high impedance mode without any sort of extra adapted with the 30 PROs. Also since I do not own a v20, can someone enlighten me on what is the difference in terms of signature or quality, between the high impedance and the normal mode? Or is it just meant for the loudness/volume level increase? Thanks!

I believe it is simply a change in gain, at least I can't hear any difference in quality or sound signature between the different modes except with less efficient headphones that actually need high gain. I've seen people suggest there is a difference even with efficient earphones, but I suspect in a volume matched test between the modes there wouldn't be any detectable difference

May 5, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #2,479 of 4,141
I believe it is simply a change in gain, at least I can't hear any difference in quality or sound signature between the different modes except with less efficient headphones that actually need high gain. I've seen people suggest there is a difference even with efficient earphones, but I suspect in a volume matched test between the modes there wouldn't be any detectable difference

I beg to differ. Perhaps the best example I can offer is my experience when comparing the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 32 ohm and 250 ohm fed by my LG-H990. The V20 drives the 250 ohm Beyers very well indeed on most material, save for some 24/96 vinyl rips that could use a bit more grunt. One would think that the 32ohm version would pretty much solve that problem, but I found that they sounded horrendous and this is simply because the phone did not engage high impedance mode with them. And the difference was night and day, no exaggeration. Clarity and depth disappeared completely, bass decomposed to flab and highs non-existent.

The V20 absolutely has to be paired with suitable high impedance dynamic cans, preferably reasonable sensitive ones. The Beyers are good, and I enjoy my 55ohm AKG K171MkIIs as well. They tame the highs a bit and are great for long sessions, offering wonderful dynamics and accuracy.

May 5, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #2,480 of 4,141
I beg to differ. Perhaps the best example I can offer is my experience when comparing the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 32 ohm and 250 ohm fed by my LG-H990. The V20 drives the 250 ohm Beyers very well indeed on most material, save for some 24/96 vinyl rips that could use a bit more grunt. One would think that the 32ohm version would pretty much solve that problem, but I found that they sounded horrendous and this is simply because the phone did not engage high impedance mode with them. And the difference was night and day, no exaggeration. Clarity and depth disappeared completely, bass decomposed to flab and highs non-existent.

The V20 absolutely has to be paired with suitable high impedance dynamic cans, preferably reasonable sensitive ones. The Beyers are good, and I enjoy my 55ohm AKG K171MkIIs as well. They tame the highs a bit and are great for long sessions, offering wonderful dynamics and accuracy.

I said it doesn't make a difference for efficient headphones in my opinion (by which I mean most IEMs and very efficient headphones specifically built for mobile use), which the DT770s aren't really, not even the 32 ohm version. Note that even though the impedance between the 32 ohm and 250 ohm DT770s is different, the sensitivity is exactly the same, 96 db, which isn't particularly efficient, despite Beyer listing the 32 ohm version as good for mobile. So I can definitely see how the 32 ohms DT770s would benefit from higher gain, but that doesn't really mean there's a difference in sound quality or signature between the gain modes, just that the DT770s aren't really as easy to drive as they might seem.

This is why I think using impedance to trigger the modes and not allowing manual control was a bad idea, because how hard a headphone is to drive depends on more than just impedance

Last edited:
May 5, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #2,481 of 4,141
I definitely hear a difference(with volume levels matched) using my Empire Ears Spartan CIEM, high impedance mode is better.

May 5, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #2,482 of 4,141
I am a bit disappointed that my new M1060s do not trigger high impedance mode. They're rated 50 Ohms, +/- 10% and by the looks of it tolerance goes the wrong way. Anyway, when properly triggered, the phone does a marvelous job getting detailed, clear and powerful sound from the 106mm planar monsters.

May 5, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #2,483 of 4,141
I am a bit disappointed that my new M1060s do not trigger high impedance mode. They're rated 50 Ohms, +/- 10% and by the looks of it tolerance goes the wrong way. Anyway, when properly triggered, the phone does a marvelous job getting detailed, clear and powerful sound from the 106mm planar monsters.

Mine trigger it about half the time, I just unplug and re-plug when they don't

May 6, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #2,484 of 4,141
Hey guys, like others have in this thread, I'm deciding between the LG V20 and HTC 10. Two questions for you!

1) If I pop a Monk Plus, TY Hi-Z 32, or some other 32 ohm earbud into the LG V20 *without* tricking the phone into high impedance mode, can I still expect great sound quality? (Or would the HTC 10 sound better with these?)

Of course, I plan to invest in higher impedance headphones regardless of which phone I get (to make the most of my investment!). Still, I love these budget earbud winners and want to make sure they can shine with a simple setup.

2) I know this is an age-old debate, but I mostly have 320kbps mp3s. Should I turn as many of these into FLACs as possible to get the most out of the LG V20 (or the HTC 10, for those who have it)? Or will any differences be small enough that I won't miss much? (Let's assume I'll get higher impedance headphones in the $150-200 range.)

Thanks guys! For the record, I'm with T-Mobile and their $480 V20 deal looks reaaaally good right now. That's over $300 less than buying the phone from AT&T ($829) or Sprint ($792) - and it beats Verizon too ($576). Just want to know if I would enjoy this phone without trickery and added accessories :p

Last edited:
May 8, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #2,485 of 4,141
Hi , a question regarding about using the Impedance adapter trick .
Is there a difference with different impedance adapter of 75ohms , 150 ohms , 200 ohms , 300 , 600 ohms Jack to trigger the high gain on the V20 ?

If I were to use a 300ohms adapter instead of using the 75ohms , Will it give me a much higher gain output ? Or if a 600ohms adapter is to be used , will it max out the V20 amplifier module ?

Or it works exactly the same across for all higher than 50ohms adapter ?

Enlighten please , thank you

Last edited:
May 8, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #2,486 of 4,141
Hey guys, like others have in this thread, I'm deciding between the LG V20 and HTC 10. Two questions for you!

1) If I pop a Monk Plus, TY Hi-Z 32, or some other 32 ohm earbud into the LG V20 *without* tricking the phone into high impedance mode, can I still expect great sound quality? (Or would the HTC 10 sound better with these?)

Of course, I plan to invest in higher impedance headphones regardless of which phone I get (to make the most of my investment!). Still, I love these budget earbud winners and want to make sure they can shine with a simple setup.

2) I know this is an age-old debate, but I mostly have 320kbps mp3s. Should I turn as many of these into FLACs as possible to get the most out of the LG V20 (or the HTC 10, for those who have it)? Or will any differences be small enough that I won't miss much? (Let's assume I'll get higher impedance headphones in the $150-200 range.)

Thanks guys! For the record, I'm with T-Mobile and their $480 V20 deal looks reaaaally good right now. That's over $300 less than buying the phone from AT&T ($829) or Sprint ($792) - and it beats Verizon too ($576). Just want to know if I would enjoy this phone without trickery and added accessories :p

The only buds I have personal experience with are an old pair of Sennheiser CX-300 II (I'm not an in-ear person, these are the only pair I currently own, and I use them at the office on the odd occasion.) The V20 drives them as one one expect it to drive a 16 ohm load - LOUD and TIGHT! Absolutely no need for additional trickery to get more of anything IMHO. That said though, high-impedance mode is the way to go with this phone - it just sounds fantastic with the right full size headphones, anything over 55 ohm to be safe. Works perfectly with my AKG K171 Mk II @ 55 ohm, and offers more than enough gain to drive them. And I like it loud...

The V20 renders high quality 320k mp3s better than almost any other device I have heard, and that means ANY other device...I cannot explain it technically (perhaps someone smarter than I could do so), but it upscales in such a way that I have no problem at all listening to mp3 over FLAC most of the time. I have compared the two using music that I know well, and in some instances I actually preferred the mp3 copy...nuts I know! Interestingly, there were a few occasions where I mistook the mp3 for FLAC...so yes, this phone is magical with 320 files.

May 8, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #2,487 of 4,141
Hi , a question regarding about using the Impedance adapter trick .
Is there a difference with different impedance adapter of 75ohms , 150 ohms , 200 ohms , 300 , 600 ohms Jack to trigger the high gain on the V20 ?

If I were to use a 300ohms adapter instead of using the 75ohms , Will it give me a much higher gain output ? Or if a 600ohms adapter is to be used , will it max out the V20 amplifier module ?

Or it works exactly the same across for all higher than 50ohms adapter ?

Enlighten please , thank you
Are you meaning if you leave the impedance adapter in line or remove it?

May 8, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #2,488 of 4,141
Are you meaning if you leave the impedance adapter in line or remove it?

Remove it , as what the description has taught and indicate , the reason I ask and seek confirmation is there's quite a number of different types of impedance adapter in various ohms ,
So naturally my thoughts was , if by using the 75ohms adapter ( as indicated in the description ) is of any differences by using a 150 or 300 ohms adapter ?

With regards of 50ohms and higher impedance , Will the V20 differ its gain output depending on different ohms ? Or the V20 will just output the same gains all across regardless ?

May 8, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #2,489 of 4,141
With regards of 50ohms and higher impedance , Will the V20 differ its gain output depending on different ohms ? Or the V20 will just output the same gains all across regardless ?

It definitely adjusts gain dependant on what's plugged into it - it does not drive my 80 ohm Beyers significantly louder than my 250 ohm version, and my 55 ohm AKGs DO go louder than the Beyers but I believe this is due to higher sensitivity and not lower impedance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back