LG V20 Sound Quality
Mar 22, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #2,266 of 4,141
Hands on with demo G6 just now at work. There is no HiFi sound options at all in the sound menu like on my V20. Lack of quad-dac confirmed. Plugged my Monk Espresso into the G6. Nothing like HiFi or High Impedance popped up on the G6 like it does on my V20. 

Mar 22, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #2,267 of 4,141
  Hands on with demo G6 just now at work. There is no HiFi sound options at all in the sound menu like on my V20. Lack of quad-dac confirmed. Plugged my Monk Espresso into the G6. Nothing like HiFi or High Impedance popped up on the G6 like it does on my V20. 

Thanks RamblinE! Just don't want ppl buying this thinking it has it when it doesn't. 

Mar 22, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #2,268 of 4,141
Oh, 100% NOT the G6. I read that the U.S. version WILL NOT feature the Quad DAC, but of course the int'l versions will. GOODBYE Felicia! LOL 

I won't get the int'l version of anything ever again unless I know for sure the company will certify VoLTE with T-Mobile the way HTC did for the unlocked U.S. 10. Apparently there's a chance that I may not be able to complete calls w/o VoLTE being enabled (emergency: probably but not 100% definitely; non-emergency: can't). And since companies like Sony Mobile (my former favorite) and LG are too cheap to spend the money on certification (LG wouldn't even certify B&O on the U.S. V20s! Fact!), that means with their int'l phones I wouldn't get VoLTE as an option even if the phone has the capability to use it, which for Sony Mobile and LG they probably always will, but it'll only show as an option in OTHER countries or other providers like AT&T that don't require certification. This article explains it better. I actually applaud T-Mobile for making it mandatory now after reading that. They want to make sure people don't have problems, so I applaud them for that. 

Assuming HTC certifies VoLTE for the 11, there's a very strong chance I'll upgrade to the 11/Ocean. But there are other factors involved too................will it have same great or improved DEDICATED DAC and DEDICATED headphone amp like the 10? Will it have an appropriately sized battery (3300 mAH or higher!!) for its rumored 5.5" screen? Will the camera be better (although the 10's with the 3 major camera updates is really really good!)? 

So yeah............HTC 11 is the ONLY phone I'd consider. The V30 I would too but it'll prob be a phablet and I tried the V20 and even w/o a case it was still too much phone for me. lol HTC forever! lol :L3000: :beerchug:  

Agree with most of it. :grinning:

The G6 in Europe also don't come with dedicated dac. I will be in Asia this summer so hopefully i will have time to check it out. One thing i like about it is the size, 5,7 inch but almost same size as HTC10. In Europe we don't have problems with all these different networks, i don't even know which network i am on. My phone works in Asia and Europe :thumbsup:.

But yeah we probably end up with HTC11 :smirk:. I think HTC wait for snapdragon 835, the main reason for Ultra(horror) and the delay for the real flagship.

Mar 22, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #2,269 of 4,141
Agree with most of it. :grinning:

The G6 in Europe also don't come with dedicated dac. I will be in Asia this summer so hopefully i will have time to check it out. One thing i like about it is the size, 5,7 inch but almost same size as HTC10. In Europe we don't have problems with all these different networks, i don't even know which network i am on. My phone works in Asia and Europe :thumbsup:.

But yeah we probably end up with HTC11 :smirk:. I think HTC wait for snapdragon 835, the main reason for Ultra(horror) and the delay for the real flagship.

Yeah the European ones don't get it either. Lame! 

Yeah the size is nice, I'll agree there. I really hope if HTC is gonna make the 11/Ocean with a 5.5" screen that they do it in a similar way where the overall body size doesn't really increase much at all from the 10's. 

Nice! LOL Well consider yourself lucky then I guess! Though, I still think the certification process makes a lot of sense. 

My 10 is a U.S. UNLOCKED one, so I do see that not only does it work in the U.S. (GSM/WCDMA/LTE) but there's also a Global option too in settings as well, so it appears I can still use it in other countries w/o worry. 
atsmile.gif

Yes..........because Samsung (mehh lol) made that exclusive deal to get first dibs on the first batch of 835s for the S8's release, everyone else has to wait until after to release theirs. The G6 will get the 821 for this reason too. Yeah the U Ultra I hate to say it, but it was a disaster. 5.5" phone with a 3000 mAh battery? LOL GTFOH!! No Hi-Fi dedicated DAC or dedicated headphone amp like the 10 either. So I'm guessing May/June for the 11's release since S8 doesn't come out 'til I think mid to late April. 

Mar 22, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #2,270 of 4,141
I think I'm done giving LG my money. I've owned every G phone since the first one and the V10 and V20 and I'm tired of getting crapped on by someone at LG thinking 90% of the world don't care about quality audio. I know this is a pointless rant, but I'm going to support the company that isn't playing games with different features based on SKU, which is HTC. Just ordered an HTC 10 and I'll get the 11 the day it comes out. 

I love my V20, but it's just too large to carry in addition to my ip7+

-Collin-

Mar 22, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #2,271 of 4,141
I have always been Htc biggest fan apart from the M Series.
The Htc 10 didn't make it to my country.
So I purchased the LG V20 instead.
I love everything about it, apart from the low volume DAC with my Hifiman HE-400i.
I'm hoping the Htc 11 arrives here this time around and I'll be joining you with my Opus #11 :)
Ps
I know you're an expert on these things.
I downloaded drivers for the Opus #11 to update firmware.
However I can't locate the .bin file that is required to continue the update.
Perhaps you may have a suggestion. Thanks

Mar 22, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #2,272 of 4,141
  I think I'm done giving LG my money. I've owned every G phone since the first one and the V10 and V20 and I'm tired of getting crapped on by someone at LG thinking 90% of the world don't care about quality audio. I know this is a pointless rant, but I'm going to support the company that isn't playing games with different features based on SKU, which is HTC. Just ordered an HTC 10 and I'll get the 11 the day it comes out. 

I love my V20, but it's just too large to carry in addition to my ip7+

-Collin-

Rock on Collin!! lol 

Yeah I left Sony Mobile for the same reason. LOVED my Z3, but they've gone downhill since then (with exception to the camera lol).........esp where it counts: audio quality since I believe they now use integrated parts and also for sure battery life. My X Performance's battery life was awful, my Z3's wasn't. 

Who is your carrier btw? I have T-Mobile. And did you order a locked or unlocked 10? 

I may get the 11, but honestly, even if I decide not to, I'm VERY happy with my 10 and could easily go another year (I just got it in Jan) with it and still be happy, if not longer! 

Mar 22, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #2,273 of 4,141

Rock on Collin!! lol 

Yeah I left Sony Mobile for the same reason. LOVED my Z3, but they've gone downhill since then (with exception to the camera lol).........esp where it counts: audio quality since I believe they now use integrated parts and also for sure battery life. My X Performance's battery life was awful, my Z3's wasn't. 

Who is your carrier btw? I have T-Mobile. And did you order a locked or unlocked 10? 

I may get the 11, but honestly, even if I decide not to, I'm VERY happy with my 10 and could easily go another year (I just got it in Jan) with it and still be happy, if not longer! 

I just moved from T-Mobile to Cricket and I had to because T-Mobile has no service at my work unfortunately. I got the US unlocked 10, which I've owned before, but will use it until the 11 comes :)

I did the same thing on Sony. I remember "upgrading" from the Z3 to the Z5 and it was a downgrade in the audio category. Argh!

-Collin-

Mar 22, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #2,274 of 4,141

I just moved from T-Mobile to Cricket and I had to because T-Mobile has no service at my work unfortunately. I got the US unlocked 10, which I've owned before, but will use it until the 11 comes :)

I did the same thing on Sony. I remember "upgrading" from the Z3 to the Z5 and it was a downgrade in the audio category. Argh!

-Collin-

I see. I got T-Mobile too and the U.S. unlocked 10 as well. 

Yeah I had it last summer but after a week I returned it for the Sony Xperia X Performance which now you know is history since Jan. lol I was expecting the X Perf to be better but after 6-7 mos I found it wasn't (aside from camera, which the 10 is MUCH closer to since the 3 major camera updates that came since last summer, one coming just 2 weeks ago). lol 

That sux that you had to leave T-Mo but you MAY wanna check this T-Mo Band 12/700 mHz map I found a while back. It is constantly updated. I live in the Chicago area which had a delay on Band 12 but that was resolved and by this June/July I'll have it too! Band 12 is a "low bandwidth" spectrum which can go like twice the distance of the higher bandwidths that T-Mobile also uses (which are the only ones I get currently) and ALSO are 4 times better are penetrating through buildings! If you're specific work area perhaps gets Band 12 in the near future (pink shading + Circled 12s), then it's extremely likely you'd get service there once that happens. So bookmark it and check it occasionally. lol 

Haha I see. Yeah and the XP is even newer than the Z5! I compared it in Jan to my $299 Oppo HA-2 premium portable amp/DAC, and it could NOT match the HA-2 in sound quality IMO. However, the 10 DID, so that was it. I sold off my XP AND my HA-2 like a week later. Now I no longer need an in-between device (HA-2) when listening on headphones. The 10's dedicated amp is also pretty strong too..............1.009 volts for the output, which is like more than triple of Sony's typical Xperia phones! lol So it matched not only my HA-2 in quality but pretty much got AS loud as the HA-2 could as well. Considering I never need to put my 10 past like 90% volume at the most (usually it's much lower), I'm extremely happy with the sound overall.  

Mar 22, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #2,275 of 4,141

I see. I got T-Mobile too and the U.S. unlocked 10 as well. 

Yeah I had it last summer but after a week I returned it for the Sony Xperia X Performance which now you know is history since Jan. lol I was expecting the X Perf to be better but after 6-7 mos I found it wasn't (aside from camera, which the 10 is MUCH closer to since the 3 major camera updates that came since last summer, one coming just 2 weeks ago). lol 

That sux that you had to leave T-Mo but you MAY wanna check this T-Mo Band 12/700 mHz map I found a while back. It is constantly updated. I live in the Chicago area which had a delay on Band 12 but that was resolved and by this June/July I'll have it too! Band 12 is a "low bandwidth" spectrum which can go like twice the distance of the higher bandwidths that T-Mobile also uses (which are the only ones I get currently) and ALSO are 4 times better are penetrating through buildings! If you're specific work area perhaps gets Band 12 in the near future (pink shading + Circled 12s), then it's extremely likely you'd get service there once that happens. So bookmark it and check it occasionally. lol 

Haha I see. Yeah and the XP is even newer than the Z5! I compared it in Jan to my $299 Oppo HA-2 premium portable amp/DAC, and it could NOT match the HA-2 in sound quality IMO. However, the 10 DID, so that was it. I sold off my XP AND my HA-2 like a week later. Now I no longer need an in-between device (HA-2) when listening on headphones. The 10's dedicated amp is also pretty strong too..............1.009 volts for the output, which is like more than triple of Sony's typical Xperia phones! lol So it matched not only my HA-2 in quality but pretty much got AS loud as the HA-2 could as well. Considering I never need to put my 10 past like 90% volume at the most (usually it's much lower), I'm extremely happy with the sound overall.  

Yeah, I followed the band 12 promises for a while and unfortunately now that it's all rolled out here in San Jose, it still doesn't reach into my office building sadly. It's a bummer, I love what T-Mobile is doing. 

Glad to hear it on the 10. I'll compare it to my V20 again when I get home today :)

-Collin-

Mar 22, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #2,276 of 4,141
Plugged my HD600 last night... GOSH! V20 has BALLS! It's nearly in max volume (max balance setting), but the dynamics are there and it's clear, black background! No need a separate Amp.

Mar 22, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #2,277 of 4,141

Yeah, I followed the band 12 promises for a while and unfortunately now that it's all rolled out here in San Jose, it still doesn't reach into my office building sadly. It's a bummer, I love what T-Mobile is doing. 

Glad to hear it on the 10. I'll compare it to my V20 again when I get home today :)

-Collin-

Ughh...........that sux man. Well, just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean they won't still fix it down the line. 

Yeah, you should! I did..............the 10 sounded just as good IMO, and could get louder than the V20's External Audio Mode (aka Aux on V10), though I'm guessing the V20's High Impedance Mode would be the loudest, but I really don't need THAT kinda volume on my 32-ohm AKG K551s. lol And try to use Poweramp too for best quality! lol 

Mar 22, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #2,278 of 4,141
Plugged my HD600 last night... GOSH! V20 has BALLS! It's nearly in max volume (max balance setting), but the dynamics are there and it's clear, black background! No need a separate Amp.
Yeah, the past 2 days I've been using my Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 600ohm a lot straight out of my V20 and I'm really amazed by how great it is.

Mar 23, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #2,279 of 4,141
Please forgive, I'm sure this noob question is somewhere on this thread, but is there an adapter (type c to micro usb) to connect my V20 to my portable amp? Anyone have a link? Is it even recommended? or should I just go mini to mini?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back