LG V20 Sound Quality
Mar 23, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #2,296 of 4,141
No you cannot bypass the DAC in the mojo. It's one of the best portable DACS on the market anyways.

Then the question becomes, why would you get a V20 for the sound quality, then override it with a Mojo? I assume there are other phones that would stack up better than the V20, if audio is taken out of the equation.

Mar 23, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #2,297 of 4,141
Then the question becomes, why would you get a V20 for the sound quality, then override it with a Mojo? I assume there are other phones that would stack up better than the V20, if audio is taken out of the equation.

Yup that's a good question. I don't have the V20 but I do have the V10 and I find even though I have the mojo I do use the V10 by itself quite often especially when going out for walks etc. It's nice to have the option. And with the V20 (or V10) I don't think you're giving up much to get the audio quality.

Mar 23, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #2,298 of 4,141
Well, the Mojo isn't exactly "compact" so that would be my reasoning if it were me, and it just means you have more options.

Mar 23, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #2,299 of 4,141
The purpose of the question was not how to bypass the mojo dac, but how to use type c from the v20 to the mojo for the purpose of driving low efficiency/high impedance cans.

Since the Mojo happens to the be the amp I already have, the V20 is the phone that I have and the V20 is not powerful enough to push my He-500s to desired volume levels, is it still worth it to use a chord that connects the V20 type c to the Mojo micro usb input to accomplish a cleaner signal. Or, will double DACing it from V20 to Mojo DAC defeat the purpose?

Mar 23, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #2,300 of 4,141
The purpose of the question was not how to bypass the mojo dac, but how to use type c from the v20 to the mojo for the purpose of driving low efficiency/high impedance cans.

Since the Mojo happens to the be the amp I already have, the V20 is the phone that I have and the V20 is not powerful enough to push my He-500s to desired volume levels, is it still worth it to use a chord that connects the V20 type c to the Mojo micro usb input to accomplish a cleaner signal. Or, will double DACing it from V20 to Mojo DAC defeat the purpose?
It wouldn't be double DACing, it would bypass the V20 DAC if you were to connect it via usb.

Mar 23, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #2,302 of 4,141
V30 with ak4490 ftw! JK but one can dream.
That would be amazing, but dual ak4490's, with 2.5mm balanced and 3.5mm SE with optical out would be the best audiophile phone ever.

Mar 23, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #2,303 of 4,141
It wouldn't be double DACing, it would bypass the V20 DAC if you were to connect it via usb.

That sucks, because I think double DACing just sounds like a wicked awesome thing to do :wink: But, there you go, certainly the Mojo DAC would out perform the V20's DAC, yes?. I'll, of course, play with it both ways when I get the adapter.

On a tangent note, I love my V20. I have the S7 edge, Moto Z, iphone 7 and V20 on my plan, and I prefer the V20 to all of them. (Songs of Lament for the Note 7 I was forced to exchange). The extra speakers, DAC, large screen, removable battery, push button removable back cover, multi option always on display and wide angle camera really do it for me. I bought it for my business cell for the extra clarity of the speaker phone, but end up using for personal use and play, too.

Mar 23, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #2,304 of 4,141
How about a slim amplifier that can drive your HP attached at the back of your V20 thru a slim 3M velcro tape. Say a Headstage 6NX/TX?

Like this one w/ my Headstage 4G

Mar 24, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #2,306 of 4,141
Only caveat w/ Headstage amps are loooong waits. But quality, performance are very top notch. 

Mar 24, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #2,307 of 4,141
How about a slim amplifier that can drive your HP attached at the back of your V20 thru a slim 3M velcro tape. Say a Headstage 6NX/TX?

Like this one w/ my Headstage 4G

IN my case, i do that, but with a Cayin C5 amp, and i use this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FE4HO8W
To piggyback it to the phone.  It holds is really well, doesn't block the screen like the normal piggyback bands, and is nice and cheap. Attach that to my V20, short 3.5mm interconnect to the amp, and let me tell ya... that setup sings!

Mar 24, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #2,308 of 4,141

That sucks, because I think double DACing just sounds like a wicked awesome thing to do :wink: But, there you go, certainly the Mojo DAC would out perform the V20's DAC, yes?. I'll, of course, play with it both ways when I get the adapter.

On a tangent note, I love my V20. I have the S7 edge, Moto Z, iphone 7 and V20 on my plan, and I prefer the V20 to all of them. (Songs of Lament for the Note 7 I was forced to exchange). The extra speakers, DAC, large screen, removable battery, push button removable back cover, multi option always on display and wide angle camera really do it for me. I bought it for my business cell for the extra clarity of the speaker phone, but end up using for personal use and play, too.

How will double DAC'ing work.......D is converted to A from the first DAC, the second DAC is expecting D but gets A and doesn't know what to do with it.

I suppose you could put an ADC in between the two DAC's, but that also wouldn't be connected via USB from the phone, it would have to come from an analog source.

Mar 24, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #2,309 of 4,141
How will double DAC'ing work.......D is converted to A from the first DAC, the second DAC is expecting D but gets A and doesn't know what to do with it.

I suppose you could put an ADC in between the two DAC's, but that also wouldn't be connected via USB from the phone, it would have to come from an analog source.
If you connect an external USB DAC via USB to an LG V20 it bypasses the DAC of the V20 and outputs digital to the external DAC. NO DOUBLE DACing.

Mar 24, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #2,310 of 4,141
C'mon give that guy a break...
bigsmile_face.gif

@Madcat207 tried the bands (at least not that one). Not sturdy/clean looking for my taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back