LG V20 Sound Quality
Dec 24, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #1,667 of 4,141
I've found the idea IEM to go with my V20, a **** 4in1 with Tinsel cable (prefer over-ear loop) + Comply foam eartips, the cable and eartips didn't cost me extra as I took them from my CA Jupiter (using ALO SXC 24 on the Jupiter). It's not as resolving and clear like the Jupiter (but it's more than good enough for me), but the 4in1 has that tight yet deep bass going for it.Still in the process of getting to know the 4in1 but so far, I'm liking what I hear. The KZ ED7 was a gift from the seller since I was a returning customer (bought the KZ ZS3 and ED12 from him). Oh yeah, the cable on the left is the stock cable for the 4in1, pretty decent quality......looks that way to me anyway.

Dec 26, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #1,669 of 4,141
unloaded crosstalk

it looks like different gain modes have significantly different output impedance, will test it later.

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #1,670 of 4,141
tested all output modes:
ess low/high/lineout modes have the same output impedance of 2.3 ohms
qualcomm is 3.8 ohms

what is going on with the unloaded crosstalk difference? 
confused_face(1).gif

Dec 27, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #1,671 of 4,141
Question on V20 playback:  I may get a V series phone just for the audio and the remote blaster only.  I painstakingly converted all my SACDs to ISOs and play them seamlessly using the amazing Exasound e28 DAC via JRIver.  The question is--I know the quad ESS DAC can handle the DSD format, but is there any (Android) software than can be run on the V20 to handle the ISO format I have them in?  Once considered completely "underground", you can now purchase DSD ISO packs on classical music sites like Pentatone--so hopefully there will be a way to play them in the near future.

Also, has anyone here directly compared the audio quality between the V10 and V20?  You can pick up a V10 for much less now and it too has stellar audio...

Thanks for the input.

Dec 27, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #1,672 of 4,141
Received my V20 on Friday and had some time with it over the weekend. First impressions are good, it has excellent details and able to power my headphones adequately (FAD Padora Hope VI (aux) and Fostex T50RP mk.III (high imp.)). However, it does lack dynamic range, soundstage, and instrument separation compared to my usual setup of ak100ii + Oppo HA-2. Pairing the V20 with the HA-2 does help with soundstage and instrument separation somewhat, but it still not as good overall as ak100ii + HA2. Maybe that'll change over time, we'll see. I'm planning to root my V20 and install the high impedance fix. I'll report back if anything changes.

Great phone overall, though. I'm very pleased with the features it offers coming from a Note 3.

Dec 27, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #1,673 of 4,141
Received my V20 on Friday and had some time with it over the weekend. First impressions are good, it has excellent details and able to power my headphones adequately (FAD Padora Hope VI (aux) and Fostex T50RP mk.III (high imp.)). However, it does lack dynamic range, soundstage, and instrument separation compared to my usual setup of ak100ii + Oppo HA-2. Pairing the V20 with the HA-2 does help with soundstage and instrument separation somewhat, but it still not as good overall as ak100ii + HA2. Maybe that'll change over time, we'll see. I'm planning to root my V20 and install the high impedance fix. I'll report back if anything changes.

Great phone overall, though. I'm very pleased with the features it offers coming from a Note 3.

Welcome aboard, Thor.
Its not up to our home systems, or maybe even multi-box carry-alongs, but for straight out of a phone, it aint too bad!
I came from note3 to v20 too... Well, note3 to note7 to note7 to v20. :wink:
Enjoy.

Dec 28, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #1,674 of 4,141
Bear with me here, this is gonna be kinda long...and probably confusing

So I'm really not enjoying the way my V20 sounds, but I'm not quite sure why.  Ever since switching to it from my old HTC M8, vocals in particular seem recessed and majorly lacking.  It seems like they easily get overrun by the rest of the music.  The sound stage, noise level, and instrument separation is definitely better than the M8 though.  Now that being said, whats confusing me is they seem to be recessed on all of my gear equally.  The same strange sound signature propagates to Bluetooth devices and even USB-DAC's.  I've A/B tested back and forth multiple times and (my?) V20 is definitely imposing some kind of sonic alteration to its playback.

So far I've tried just about every combination I can think of with what gear I have (V20, Fiio E17, Fiio E12A for sources, and my cars audio and Westone W4R's for sound), and I can't seem to shake this change to the vocals.  What has me most confused, is using the E17 as a USB-DAC with the E12A as an amp inline, identical settings in power amp and any ROM based MusicFX disabled, and the sound signature between the V20 and the M8 is completely different...something I didn't think was possible with an external USB-DAC doing the heavy lifting. Eventually I gave up and actually broke out my old 5th gen iPod and passed its output through the E17 and E12A, and it was a vast improvement (to my ears?) over what the V20 was producing.  (Yes, I know that the iPod is now doing the decoding in this configuration).

So whats going on here?  Am I just a complete audiophile scrub?  Is my V20 somehow defective and altering the audio?  Do I just not like the sound sig of the V20?  Did I leave the stove on?

Thanks for hearing me out!

Dec 28, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #1,675 of 4,141
  Bear with me here, this is gonna be kinda long...and probably confusing

So I'm really not enjoying the way my V20 sounds, but I'm not quite sure why.  Ever since switching to it from my old HTC M8, vocals in particular seem recessed and majorly lacking.  It seems like they easily get overrun by the rest of the music.  The sound stage, noise level, and instrument separation is definitely better than the M8 though.  Now that being said, whats confusing me is they seem to be recessed on all of my gear equally.  The same strange sound signature propagates to Bluetooth devices and even USB-DAC's.  I've A/B tested back and forth multiple times and (my?) V20 is definitely imposing some kind of sonic alteration to its playback.

So far I've tried just about every combination I can think of with what gear I have (V20, Fiio E17, Fiio E12A for sources, and my cars audio and Westone W4R's for sound), and I can't seem to shake this change to the vocals.  What has me most confused, is using the E17 as a USB-DAC with the E12A as an amp inline, identical settings in power amp and any ROM based MusicFX disabled, and the sound signature between the V20 and the M8 is completely different...something I didn't think was possible with an external USB-DAC doing the heavy lifting. Eventually I gave up and actually broke out my old 5th gen iPod and passed its output through the E17 and E12A, and it was a vast improvement (to my ears?) over what the V20 was producing.  (Yes, I know that the iPod is now doing the decoding in this configuration).

So whats going on here?  Am I just a complete audiophile scrub?  Is my V20 somehow defective and altering the audio?  Do I just not like the sound sig of the V20?  Did I leave the stove on?

Thanks for hearing me out!

I assume your ear has stick to the sound of M8. Try listening a little more then your ear will adapt to the new sound. after that you can judge again. It is like you need to neutralize your tongue after shifting to eat different stuffs. happens to me a lot though.

Dec 28, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #1,677 of 4,141
Muscle memory. Like artpiggo mentioned, your ears has been 'tuned' to the old setup. Your ears need to adjust when you add/switch to something new. But most people here just tell you to 'burn in' whatever you're using....

Dec 28, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #1,678 of 4,141
  Muscle memory. Like artpiggo mentioned, your ears has been 'tuned' to the old setup. Your ears need to adjust when you add/switch to something new. But most people here just tell you to 'burn in' whatever you're using....

yeah and actually the thing that you mostly burn in is your ear lol.

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #1,679 of 4,141
Subscribed new owner today!:nerd:

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #1,680 of 4,141
Anyone change to a bigger detachable battery with improvement on SQ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back