LG V20 Sound Quality
Nov 2, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #691 of 4,141
  Bad news

http://www.phonearena.com/news/LG-V20-Q-A-Your-questions-answered_id87113

Audio questions​

trojan_horse: "How good is it's audio output and how does its DAC compare to the HTC 10's?"

PA: Okay, we used a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50x studio monitors and played a bunch of lossless FLAC tracks on the HTC 10, the LG V20, and the LG V10. No surprises - the sound from all three came clear, dynamic, and generally quite pleasing. However, if you're like your music really loud, then the HTC 10 will win you over — this one is way louder than either the LG V20 or the V10, almost to the point of physically hurting your ears. That aside, we can't say we could distinguish a stark quality difference between the three as they all performed excellently in terms of hi-fi audio playback. 

hulk14: "how good is included DAC? Is there any better on smartphone market? Could you describe differences between that dac and the one in lg v10)? Of course, I mean about comparison on a good headphones (for example sennheiser momentum 2 aeg, sony mdr-1a, focal classic, etc)"

PA: While the LG V20 is a rather capable hi-fi device. It will, however, impress you way more if you have a pair of high-impedance headphones and listen to lossless audio tracks. While the HTC 10 is a bit louder, both devices are pretty similar in terms of audio reproduction. For casual listening to music, like streaming Spotify or Google Play Music while on the go,  the V20 is in the same ballpark as any other high-end device.

Both are the same?Lg V20 4dac?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And if the V20 would run in high power mode it would be "louder" - but what is louder = better?? 

Besides - the M50X is an ok headphone, I have it too - but I wouldn't judge the quality of high res output with it.

Nov 2, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #692 of 4,141

And if the V20 would run in high power mode it would be "louder" - but what is louder = better?? 

Besides - the M50X is an ok headphone, I have it too - but I wouldn't judge the quality of high res output with it.

I believe the HTC 10 was louder as well. I believe there were software tricks involved with HTC's processing. I wish I had the two to A/B because as far as quality I can't compare from memory.

Nov 2, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #694 of 4,141
  I believe the HTC 10 was louder as well. I believe there were software tricks involved with HTC's processing. I wish I had the two to A/B because as far as quality I can't compare from memory.

I don't have the V20 (yet), but when I had a listen in Verizon last week on my Sines, it was definitely quieter, and too quiet on some tracks, than the iPhone with the iPhone 7 dongle.  The dongle is around the same output as the HTC 10 (1Vrms)

However when I did the unplug the headphone end trick it was around the same level at full to the iPhone dongle.

I am hoping the high impedance headphone mode is even higher, for those quiet dynamic tracks.

Oh, it sounded better than the iPhone dongle.

Nov 2, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #695 of 4,141

I don't have the V20 (yet), but when I had a listen in Verizon last week on my Sines, it was definitely quieter, and too quiet on some tracks, than the iPhone with the iPhone 7 dongle.  The dongle is around the same output as the HTC 10 (1Vrms)

However when I did the unplug the headphone end trick it was around the same level at full to the iPhone dongle.

I am hoping the high impedance headphone mode is even higher, for those quiet dynamic tracks.

Oh, it sounded better than the iPhone dongle.

I have never heard the high impedance mode and I would love too. I have nothing here that would trigger it. The best I can get is the external mode.

Nov 2, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #696 of 4,141
  I have never heard the high impedance mode and I would love too. I have nothing here that would trigger it. The best I can get is the external mode.

I can tell you the high impedance mode is really pretty good. And has boatloads of power. It drives the HD650 with ease - even quite decent on some planar magnetic like the HE560 - though it doesn't always get into the big impedance mode with that one. 

One way to always get the high impedance mode on is to use a impedance adapter.

You can get them for $6 on eBay and you can choose the impedance between 20, 75, 100 or 175 Ohm:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-Impedance-Adapter-20ohm-75ohm-100ohm-175ohm-for-HiFi-Audio-Player-Earphone-/272428465695?var=&hash=item3f6e007e1f:m:msl3vGtZnwXprEITP58EDow

I have one (75 Ohm) and it works very well...

Cheers!

Nov 2, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #697 of 4,141

I can tell you the high impedance mode is really pretty good. And has boatloads of power. It drives the HD650 with ease - even quite decent on some planar magnetic like the HE560 - though it doesn't always get into the big impedance mode with that one. 

You can get them for $6 on eBay and you can choose the impedance between 20, 75, 100 or 175 Ohm:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-Impedance-Adapter-20ohm-75ohm-100ohm-175ohm-for-HiFi-Audio-Player-Earphone-/272428465695?var=&hash=item3f6e007e1f:m:msl3vGtZnwXprEITP58EDow

Cheers!

Ordered...thanks

Nov 2, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #698 of 4,141

Cheers!

How is the 75 ohm connected? The ebay page is not clear.

Does it cause the high impedance mode when your headphones are already connected, or only when they are not?  If the later, then great.  If the former then they are increasing the output impedance by maybe 75 ohms, which with low impedance headphones, will quieten the sound considerably, and with complex loads affect the frequency response quite a lot.  Also the nice low output impedance of the V20 will be lost.

The "Impedance adapter is used for noise reduction to reduce background noise , protect hearing ,it suit for high sensitivity low impedance headphones ." suggests the former case too.

Nov 2, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #699 of 4,141

How is the 75 ohm connected? The ebay page is not clear.

Does it cause the high impedance mode when your headphones are already connected, or only when they are not?  If the later, then great.  If the former then they are increasing the output impedance by maybe 75 ohms, which with low impedance headphones, will quieten the sound considerably, and with complex loads affect the frequency response quite a lot.  Also the nice low output impedance of the V20 will be lost.

The "Impedance adapter is used for noise reduction to reduce background noise , protect hearing ,it suit for high sensitivity low impedance headphones ." suggests the former case too.

Hi!

1) it doesn't change the output-impedance - that stays the same (otherwise a high impedance headphone would change it too -
wink_face.gif
) but ...
2) ...it increases the input-impedance of the headphones you connect
3) it reduces hiss and noise level should there be any
4) if you connect it without a headphone connected or with one connected on my LGV10 it triggers high impedance mode - the highest amp mode possible
5) of course that comes at a price - it reduces the volume but that is compensated by the stronger amp

The adapter does not change the output impedance but the input impedance (like a headphone, the resistance) so there is no deterioration of sound or frequency response in the headphones. It does quieten the sound as mentioned before. However the better sound quality of the higher amp mode does compensate for that easily.

In the V10 thread was a lot of debate - I think we settled that the line out (ext audio) and high impedance mode trigger the extra amp of the V10 to take over and its sound quality is better. 

You can choose to take a 20 Ohm adapter - then you have less volume drop (and still an overall volume improvement if high mode is triggered) and depending on the headphones you use you might still trigger high impedance mode (if headphone +20 Ohm adapter = >50 Ohm).

I hope the above makes any sense...

Cheers!

EDIT:
Example: I just had the RHA T10 connected - with adapter I listen to volume level 45 - without adapter I get the same volume around 40 so not a huge difference with a 75 Ohm adapter.

Nov 2, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #702 of 4,141
I think the lg v20 is pretty close to the ayre codex in sound--at least with my 64 ears a3s and my JH angie 2s. I have compared the sony pha-3 against both of the aforementioned DACs and found that it has a much better soundstage than either.  

Nov 2, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #703 of 4,141
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01552UGSS/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1478098542&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX280_SY350_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=fospower%2B3.5mm&dpPl=1&dpID=411nuOWmG0L&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

I noticed the v10 guys saying this will work to push it into high mode, can anyone confirm?

Nov 2, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #704 of 4,141
I really don't get all this discussion about forcing the V20 into high power mode. If your headphones are lower than 50 ohms, then why do you want it?? There should be plenty of volume. That's the point of the system, to push power to those headphones that need it. Are people suggesting that the high power mode = better SQ? Why would it? It just amplifies the sound, doesn't it?

Nov 2, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #705 of 4,141
  I really don't get all this discussion about forcing the V20 into high power mode. If your headphones are lower than 50 ohms, then why do you want it?? There should be plenty of volume. That's the point of the system, to push power to those headphones that need it. Are people suggesting that the high power mode = better SQ? Why would it? It just amplifies the sound, doesn't it?

Because if you can't push the dial to 11 you are doing it wrong. 

I honestly do not know. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back