LG V20 Sound Quality
Oct 24, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #451 of 4,141
I have the 846 and interested to know the V20's output impedance. Dunno if that spec has been released anywhere. But highly doubt it'll be an ohm or less.

If apple can manage 0.7 ohm on the iPhone 7 adapter dongle, the ESS amp should be able to. But until someone measures it...

The gsmarena frequency plot suggests it is higher than the dongle, but less than the iPhone 6s 4.5ohm. But this is not a very accurate assumption.

Oct 24, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #452 of 4,141
  Well, it appears the LG V20 is available on Verizon now for Pre-Order. Supposed to be released on the 27th according to the Verizon salesman. I noticed on the bottom it mentioned something about earphones (as well as a Stylo 2 for $1 junk). I'm more interested in the earphone promo. Anyone else hear anything?

Here is the link to the Verizon LG B&O headphone promotion.  You can start redeeming on October 26.  You need the IMEI number to redeem (or so I was told).

LG's B&O Play H3 Offer Page

Oct 24, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #454 of 4,141
At that point you've already spent $300 dollar more and just consider to buy a OnePlus 3 and an Onkyo DP-X1

Agreed. If I were to do that, I would just keep my Xperia Z3v and use the AQ Red and save myself even more money. Haha...

Oct 24, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #456 of 4,141
As we suspected, the LG V20 features the latest ES9218 DAC from ESS, which features a parallel sub-DAC configuration to improve noise performance and total harmonic distortion. The chip boasts theoretical maximums of 130SNR, 124dB DNR and -112dB THD+N, although real world performance may not quite reach these numbers.

To my understanding...Here is a link to ESS dac used in the lg v20

http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en/news/newsroom/ess-technology-brings-advanced-audiophile-features-mobile-devices-first-time/

Oct 24, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #457 of 4,141

Here's my quick summary.

Is the V20 Replacing my Onkyo DP-X1?  No.  It's not as Open as I want it to be.  The detail is there but separation is not too revealing. This was tested on a Non-Balanced connection on the Onkyo.

Is the V20 Replacing my Oneplus 3? No.  There is an advantage with the V20's clarity but it's very minute.  Bass is more boomy on the Oneplus 3.  And I actually prefer the sound signature of the Oneplus 3.  

Did I test the V20 with an external DAC against any other phone?  No.  Because it's pointless.  At that point I'm just listening to a very small difference due to DAC is going to carry most of the processing of the sound that the phones are very much negligible.

Then why did you buy the V20?  It's for my wife.  We didn't want to get another camera just for video recording/Audio as we already have a Fuji x-PRO2.  This phone is our portable solution.  Yes, the Pixel has a better camera but it doesn't have the manual control that my wife and I love to have.  Also, when I'm working out I prefer using the V20 as its more durable than my other phones.  Having a 9 month kid that loves to grab and drop things on the floor also helped on our decision.

If you're looking for an all be all gadget it's impossible to have one.  Can i say that this will be filed under a great DAP for an audiophile, meh.  Is it a good starting point for those who just want to carry one device and have a great sound coming out of the 3.5mm JACK, YES.

EDIT: all are tested using Tidal at Hi-Fi setting with headphones stated on my previous post.

Oct 24, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #458 of 4,141
Hm, not happy to hear that V20 is not at DP-X1 level. I might get it anyway simply for convenience, so I can listen on the go while traveling light. The camera and the trick microphones are a bonus though.

Oct 24, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #460 of 4,141
I was hoping it gets close, that's all. Can't blame me, they said QUAD DAC, right? In a way I'm happy because that means my DP-X1 is not going anywhere. I found it is better to use a DAP to listen to music, as there are no interruptions and my phone's battery is preserved.
I can always stack the V20 with Mojo if I'm in the mood for HQ audio on the go. I do that quite a bit with DP-X1 and it works a treat.

Oct 24, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #461 of 4,141
Did we honestly think that the V20 was going to beat an $800 DAP? I'm just happy if it sounds better than most other phones.

I was going to ask how the call quality on the Onkyo was. :wink:

It sounds like it does come close to them, and that's all we can really ask for. So long as it's relatively transparent, noise free, and has enough power to drive decent headphones, I think it's a winner.

Oct 24, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #462 of 4,141
Did we honestly think that the V20 was going to beat an $800 DAP? I'm just happy if it sounds better than most other phones.

I rated my V10 as being around 90% close to my iBasso R10 ( DX100) which was a TOTL $1K msrp dap.

The Onkyo uses dual mobile chips and is dedicated to audio so I should hope it sounds a bit better. But for those who also need a new phone (especially former Note 7 users) spending the same amount as a DP-X1 and getting very similar audio quality is an easy choice. Not to mention the V20's dac should work with all apps (afaik, the Onkyo still can't do that).

Oct 24, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #463 of 4,141
One man's opinion and all of the sudden the sky is falling? When my SINE's are recognized as external the sound is damn good. I also have a AK120 ll, but I haven't done an A/B. I have never heard a One Plus 3 but if it is as good as the V20 I would like to, because for a phone the HTC 10 and V20 are the best I have heard.

Oct 24, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #464 of 4,141
I was going to ask how the call quality on the Onkyo was. :wink:

It sounds like it does come close to them, and that's all we can really ask for. So long as it's relatively transparent, noise free, and has enough power to drive decent headphones, I think it's a winner.

You are correct and it does check all of the boxes you mentioned. Transparency, details, clarity, noise free and drives my planar magnetic on external mode, what's not to like?

Oct 24, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #465 of 4,141

I rated my V10 as being around 90% close to my iBasso R10 ( DX100) which was a TOTL $1K msrp dap.

The Onkyo uses dual mobile chips and is dedicated to audio so I should hope it sounds a bit better. But for those who also need a new phone (especially former Note 7 users) spending the same amount as a DP-X1 and getting very similar audio quality is an easy choice. Not to mention the V20's dac should work with all apps (afaik, the Onkyo still can't do that).

it's funny you said that, the V10's DAC doesn't work with other apps other than it's music app unless you have downloaded an app called Hifi everywhere... 
with my lengthy experience with the DP-X1, i have not have an issue with multiple music apps with it (apple music, tidal , spotify, onkyo player,... etc) I have yet to see an app that didn't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back