LG V20 Sound Quality
Oct 25, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #481 of 4,141
Oct 25, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #483 of 4,141
The Alpha's software processing is definitely underrated. I'm not the one to explain why but it sounds better than any other music app on my devices.

If the (experimental) options are there, assuming the V20's (like the V10) special hardware is recognized, be sure to enable Hi-Res audio output, set it to 100 steps of volume control, and try switching DVC on/off while playing music to hear the difference. I use OpenGL ES (instead of Java) for output.

If you thought PA already sounded great, those tweaks might make you forgot all about any daps you may have laying around.

Oct 25, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #484 of 4,141
It would be great if pa alpha can do network streaming like in neutron.

Oct 25, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #485 of 4,141
I didn't say that the phone didn't work, what I said is the phone does not utilize the DAC for other apps other than the native music player... You can even search that on the v10 post in this forum. And if you still do not believe... I own a V10 too...

This is incorrect. LG did publish a fix so that the DAC works with ANY app. Otherwise you can install DAC Fix on Google Play to make it work for all.

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #486 of 4,141
I have been using Poweramp Alpha for a while with Snapdragon variant. If using Poweramp Alpha on Lg V20 make sure you download alpha 4. This setup using 24bit audio variant will make you go back and listen to your daps to compare. The AK isn't getting much use lately.

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #487 of 4,141
Went to the Verizon store today to check out V20 and the pixel. Walked out with a new v20 after trading in my v10.

The sound on the Pixel is very colored. Warm almost to an excess and the bass seems artificially boosted. I was able to turn the volume all the way up on the pixel using my **** 4in1 and still listen comfortably. Yes it was loud but it was still listenable.

The v20 sounded great. Very similar to the v10, maybe a little more transparent. V10 had a very slight warmth to it.

Only complaint so far is that you still have to do the "connector" trick to fool it into aux mode for the extra Amp on low impedance headphones.

Other notes:
* The screen is MUCH MUCH nicer on the v20.
* the v20 is slippery. I never had a case for the v10 because the ballistic plastic on the back made it easy to hold abd protected it. Ill be getting a case for this one.
* I've found a few apps that don't play nicely with nougat. Most notable so far is swiftkey keeps crashing, so im forced to use the lg keyboard for now.
* the v20 is noticeably lighter than the v10.

Ill share more as i learn the phone.

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #488 of 4,141
Went to the Verizon store today to check out V20 and the pixel. Walked out with a new v20 after trading in my v10.

The sound on the Pixel is very colored. Warm almost to an excess and the bass seems artificially boosted. I was able to turn the volume all the way up on the pixel using my **** 4in1 and still listen comfortably. Yes it was loud but it was still listenable.

The v20 sounded great. Very similar to the v10, maybe a little more transparent. V10 had a very slight warmth to it.

Only complaint so far is that you still have to do the "connector" trick to fool it into aux mode for the extra Amp on low impedance headphones.

Other notes:
* If you're on Verizon the v20 is advanced LTE enabled, the v10 is not. So youll have even faster data speeds
* the v20 is slippery. I never had a case for the v10 because the ballistic plastic on the back made it easy to hold abd protected it. Ill be getting a case for this one.
* I've found a few apps that don't play nicely with nougat. Most notable so far is swiftkey keeps crashing, so im forced to use the lg keyboard for now.

I use swiftkey without issue. I actually use swiftkey beta.

I bought the Ringke case, I like it pretty well. 

https://www.amazon.com/Ringke-Resilient-Durability-Anti-Slip-Defensive/dp/B01K5I9CB4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1477449113&sr=8-2&keywords=lg+v20+cases

I also bought a connector that I keep connected to the Audeze Sine hopefully will one day not need it.

Oct 25, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #490 of 4,141

Other notes:
* If you're on Verizon the v20 is advanced LTE enabled, the v10 is not. So youll have even faster data speeds

I'll keep my V10.

The V10 does support Verizons LTE advanced, just an FYI.

The V20 display is actually not all that good, at least in terms of color accuracy. I saw a very extensive test done and every color was pretty far off. Not sure if the V10 tests any better or not, but the test I saw on the V20 was pretty bad for color accuracy.

The V20 may be lighter, but the V10 is the stronger phone in terms of it bending.

Oct 25, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #491 of 4,141
I'll keep my V10.

The V20 display is actually not all that good, at least in terms of color accuracy. I saw a very extensive test done and every color was pretty far off. Not sure if the V10 tests any better or not, but the test I saw on the V20 was pretty bad for color accuracy.

The V20 may be lighter, but the V10 is the stronger phone in terms of it bending.

It's great that you've justified your decision to yourself.

I rescind what I said about LTE advanced and will edit my comment.

Yes, the V20 screen skews to the cold side of things. However in a side by side with the v10 it simply looked better. The brighter second screen is nice, I can actually see what time it is. And unlike the with the v10, I can see my screen in landscape with polarized sunglasses.

If they weren't offering $300 on the trade-in of a v10 I likely wouldn't have done it. But that said, so far this is everything the v10 was, but with a lot of the nagging issues fixed.

Oct 25, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #492 of 4,141
It's great that you've justified your decision to yourself.

I rescind what I said about LTE advanced and will edit my comment.

Yes, the V20 screen skews to the cold side of things. However in a side by side with the v10 it simply looked better. The brighter second screen is nice, I can actually see what time it is. And unlike the with the v10, I can see my screen in landscape with polarized sunglasses.

If they weren't offering $300 on the trade-in of a v10 I likely wouldn't have done it. But that said, so far this is everything the v10 was, but with a lot of the nagging issues fixed.

Hopefully I didn't come off as a dick. Didn't mean to if it was taken that way. I'm just still happy with my V10. I've had it since launch day on Verizon, so just a couple days shy of a year now and it's been perfect. I still owe $364 on my V10 anyway, so I'm going to try to get some more time out of it.

Oct 25, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #493 of 4,141
I'll keep my V10.

The V20 may be lighter, but the V10 is the stronger phone in terms of it b

Hopefully I didn't come off as a dick. Didn't mean to if it was taken that way. I'm just still happy with my V10. I've had it since launch day on Verizon, so just a couple days shy of a year now and it's been perfect. I still owe $364 on my V10 anyway, so I'm going to try to get some more time out of it.

You kinda came off harsh but such is the internet. It makes since after your further explanation. I would say in the past year it has been an anomaly, but I have had the Nexus 6P, HTC 10, Samsung Note 7, Samsung S7, S7 Edge and now the V20. It is my first time ever with LG. The screen of the V20 is really good, it is more subtle than the over vibrant, saturated Samsung. I love how the Samsung pops but I think the LG is a truer representation. I generally don't bend my phones or hold much value in YouTube videos showing that.

Oct 25, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #494 of 4,141

It's cool. I shouldn't have responded like a dick. I owed just less than $300 on my v10 so after the $300 back its basically a wash.

My v10 was starting to get small glass cracks around the outside, one right across the front facing cameras. And it was getting REALLY terrible with the battery life. (now I'm justifying my spending hundreds of dollars today to myself). :grinning:

Oct 26, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #495 of 4,141
It's cool. I shouldn't have responded like a dick. I owed just less than $300 on my v10 so after the $300 back its basically a wash.

My v10 was starting to get small glass cracks around the outside, one right across the front facing cameras. And it was getting REALLY terrible with the battery life. (now I'm justifying my spending hundreds of dollars today to myself). :grinning:

Not sure how no one in the reviews have mentioned this but ;

Go to setting - accessibility - vision - scroll down to screen color adjustment and turn on

I went to custom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back