LG V20 Sound Quality
Nov 21, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #1,126 of 4,141
Nov 21, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #1,127 of 4,141
Concerning album art: pushing on the art (or the PA logo when there is no art) has been a feature on previous versions, but alternatively you can press the three dots at the top right and select Album Art.
Also, there are selections for Album Art in the Settings tab, which includes automatic finding, don't remember what the defaults were but wouldn't hurt checking what your settings are, it should auto-generate when you are connected to WiFi or data. I've also found if I have missing art, it's easier and faster to go into the Album tabs (instead of tracks or artist) which will apply the art faster and to all of the tracks in the same album at once... This really helps when you have over 10k songs on your card!
wink.gif

FSTOP, 

Yeah I did the push thing on regular Poweramp too. It would happen on that too, but instead of a former album art showing up, it would just stay blank. Ok I'll remember that. 

Yeah I got the best settings IMO for the Album Art, but I guess it is what it is. Fortunately, like 95% of the time it's fine. lol

I only list by "Artist" really, but I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

Nov 21, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #1,128 of 4,141
@TJ Max

I won't be home until Wednesday, but I can try my T1s with the V20 then and let you know what happens. I have the first version of them so mine is a 1/4" plug and will require an adapter. Not sure how that will affect things, but I'll give it a try and let you know. Very odd that the T1 is not triggering high impedance mode. Maybe they're 601 ohm and therefore "off the chart" 
smily_headphones1.gif

-Collin-

Nov 21, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #1,133 of 4,141
external mode is alot louder than headphone mode. Wouldn't you want external? I prefer it.

According to my test above. External mode has 6db less output than High Impedance.

Nov 21, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #1,134 of 4,141
Just got my free pair of B&O Play H3 headphones from the V20 promo. Pretty decent. They're nothing super great. Rather mid-forward for my tastes. Typical mid-bass hump, but it's nothing that distorts, just there. Reasonable highs and clarity. I think the most impressive part about them is the width of the soundstage and separation. Probably one of the widest soundstages I've heard in a long time for an IEM. There's an airiness to them that is reminiscent of an open back full size can.

Very comfortable in ear, easy to listen to and non-fatiguing sound. Totally worth the price of admission. I'd be happy paying $50-$75 for them.

Nov 21, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #1,135 of 4,141
  Everyone complaining about sampling rates and whatever else seems to totally be forgetting that if you lined up all the phones and listened to the same pair of headphones through them, the v20 absolutely will spank the competition. 

​As someone who comes from the V10 I say that's extremely debatable to say the least, but the fact remains, this phone was never advertised as the "spanking the competition" phone but rather with very specific specs and performance parameters regarding it's new Quad DAC, now it seems all those things remains just marketings, with a substantial premium over the V10. Granted the V20 is a better phone in every other way no doubt. 

Nov 21, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #1,136 of 4,141
  Just got my free pair of B&O Play H3 headphones from the V20 promo. Pretty decent. They're nothing super great. Rather mid-forward for my tastes. Typical mid-bass hump, but it's nothing that distorts, just there. Reasonable highs and clarity. I think the most impressive part about them is the width of the soundstage and separation. Probably one of the widest soundstages I've heard in a long time for an IEM. There's an airiness to them that is reminiscent of an open back full size can.

Very comfortable in ear, easy to listen to and non-fatiguing sound. Totally worth the price of admission. I'd be happy paying $50-$75 for them.

Just got mine too.  I agree with most of what you said except the highs are rolled off quite a bit.  They sound muffled and lacking clarity, at least compared to my Sony MDR-1A and Koss ProDJ200 headphones.  They do sound decent for a free pair of headphones.  I'll give them some time to burn in.

Nov 21, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #1,137 of 4,141
  Just got mine too.  I agree with most of what you said except the highs are rolled off quite a bit.  They sound muffled and lacking clarity, at least compared to my Sony MDR-1A and Koss ProDJ200 headphones.  They do sound decent for a free pair of headphones.  I'll give them some time to burn in.

I can see that. That's why I said reasonable. The highs are certainly nothing to be writing home about but I didn't feel they were lacking enough to call them muffled or veiled, just reasonable. Then again, I'm fairly treble sensitive and there are a lot of other headphones that end up hurting my ears. I just got my Trinity PM4s today too though. So I doubt the H3s will be spending much time in my ears for the foreseeable future.

Nov 21, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #1,138 of 4,141

As someone who comes from the V10 I say that's extremely debatable to say the least, but the fact remains, this phone was never advertised as the "spanking the competition" phone but rather with very specific specs and performance parameters regarding it's new Quad DAC, now it seems all those things remains just marketings, with a substantial premium over the V10. Granted the V20 is a better phone in every other way no doubt. 

I don't recall LG ever talking about sample rate. They crowed about the 32bit quad-DAC but I do not remember seeing them ever mention what KHz rate it plays at. 

I'd even go so far as to say it never advertised any numbers at ALL. The best I could find were released statements saying WHAT the DAC chip was, and then THEIR press statements talking about what bitrates and sample depths it went at. All LG ever said was that it was a quad-DAC. I did find one site claiming that LG said it played 384KHz but with no actual language to defend it. 

More than that, all we're seeing here are various and sundry outputs by other apps. It's a completely worthless witch hunt by numbers-obsessed audiophiles who would rather spend all their time arguing that their FLAC files being played at 384KHz sound so much better because OMG BIGGER NUMBERS EQUALS SOUNDS BETTER.

TBH it's enough to just unsub from the thread.

Nov 21, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #1,139 of 4,141
  I don't recall LG ever talking about sample rate. They crowed about the 32bit quad-DAC but I do not remember seeing them ever mention what KHz rate it plays at. 

I'd even go so far as to say it never advertised any numbers at ALL. The best I could find were released statements saying WHAT the DAC chip was, and then THEIR press statements talking about what bitrates and sample depths it went at. All LG ever said was that it was a quad-DAC. I did find one site claiming that LG said it played 384KHz but with no actual language to defend it. 

More than that, all we're seeing here are various and sundry outputs by other apps. It's a completely worthless witch hunt by numbers-obsessed audiophiles who would rather spend all their time arguing that their FLAC files being played at 384KHz sound so much better because OMG BIGGER NUMBERS EQUALS SOUNDS BETTER.

TBH it's enough to just unsub from the thread.

The issue has been verified by LG itself according to some posts on XDA forum.
I don't disagree with you with the silly bigger files will sound better nonsense, but frankly why did LG bother with all that marketing and money of the ESS DAC if all they will output is 16/48, which can be accomplished with any dirt cheap DACs on the market, including the built in QUALCOMM one, with splendid outcome. Yes we all know that it is the amp that does the heavy lifting not the DAC and LG should have just implemented that alone with the user accessible gain switch that is currently tied to an impedance sensing algorithm. Oh well.......

Nov 21, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #1,140 of 4,141

I can see that. That's why I said reasonable. The highs are certainly nothing to be writing home about but I didn't feel they were lacking enough to call them muffled or veiled, just reasonable. Then again, I'm fairly treble sensitive and there are a lot of other headphones that end up hurting my ears. I just got my Trinity PM4s today too though. So I doubt the H3s will be spending much time in my ears for the foreseeable future.

I think I'm fairly treble sensitive as well.  Cans or IEMs that are too bright are very fatiguing and I can't use them for long periods.  My Pro DJ200s from Koss are bright but not sibilant with controlled detail.  Its downside is that the bottom end is a bit lacking, but overall, these are the most balanced headphones I own.  Great for classical music.  Not so good for bass-centric music.  On the other hand, my Sony 1As are bass heavy with a pronounced sub and midbass bump.  Highs are more rolled off more than the Koss, but still well detailed and not tiring at all.  I haven't listened to the H3s that long since they just arrived today, but it sounds like if everything else were flat, then these have a pronounced bump somewhere between 250-500 Hz.

Tell you what though, as the weather gets colder, I end up wearing hats that just don't permit the use of regular over-ear type cans.  These will do nicely in a pinch.  Who knows, after a few hours here and there, they may end up balancing out nicely. Thanks LG. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back