LG V20 Sound Quality
Jun 9, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #2,641 of 4,141
I understand. Let me rephrase. Iirc The headphone jack extender (with cable protruding*) with an impedance adapter makes the v20 go into AUX mode most of the time. This type of adapter (without any cable*) will make it go into high impedance mode easier. http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/New-L-Sh...011247?hash=item5af441d32f:g:AyQAAOxy-NVSDu1a

I have tried the extender and most of the time, it goes into AUX mode instead of high impedance. Or maybe its just only me?

You might be right that this type of adapter is more reliable to get it into high impedance mode, I'm not sure. I don't feel any need to get it into high impedance mode on a daily basis, so I've only really tried it briefly to see if it worked and test for a difference with my main earphones, so I only know that I got my adapter to work a couple times at most.

I also don't know if the link I posted is the exact headphone extender I used, as I didn't have it in front of me to compare, but I just assumed anything similar would work. I'm not sure if TRS vs TRRS could make a difference or if as you say it's having a short cable attached that could make a difference. I'll replace my link with an adapter like the one you linked

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #2,642 of 4,141
i owned a LG V20 for about 6 months, it started to appeal screen burn(most obvious in grey background, disappear after turning off screen for more than 15mins) few weeks ago,
Does anyone meet this problem?
Annoyed!

Jun 9, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #2,643 of 4,141
i owned a LG V20 for about 6 months, it started to appeal screen burn(most obvious in grey background, disappear after turning off screen for more than 15mins) few weeks ago,
Annoyed!

That's image persistence, not burn-in. Burn-in doesn't happen with LCD screens. As you've seen, it's only temporary. Try not to keep the screen on for long periods in the same app

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #2,644 of 4,141
That's image persistence, not burn-in. Burn-in doesn't happen with LCD screens. As you've seen, it's only temporary. Try not to keep the screen on for long periods in the same app
Do you own a LG V20?
Ya, screen-burn only occurs in OLED screen which is a permanent problem too
but this kind of screen problem is very annoying
i heard that IPS screen can have this kind of problem

Jun 9, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #2,645 of 4,141
Do you own a LG V20?
I've never experienced screen "burn-in" on my LG V20.

Jun 9, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #2,648 of 4,141
Do you own a LG V20?

Yeah, I own the V20, no problems with the screen

Jun 9, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #2,652 of 4,141
mx475.jpg

Sennheiser MX475

Jun 10, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #2,653 of 4,141
I understand. Let me rephrase. Iirc The headphone jack extender (with cable protruding*) with an impedance adapter makes the v20 go into AUX mode most of the time. This type of adapter (without any cable*) will make it go into high impedance mode easier. http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/New-L-Sh...011247?hash=item5af441d32f:g:AyQAAOxy-NVSDu1a

I have tried the extender and most of the time, it goes into AUX mode instead of high impedance. Or maybe its just only me?

You might be right that this type of adapter is more reliable to get it into high impedance mode, I'm not sure. I don't feel any need to get it into high impedance mode on a daily basis, so I've only really tried it briefly to see if it worked and test for a difference with my main earphones, so I only know that I got my adapter to work a couple times at most.

I also don't know if the link I posted is the exact headphone extender I used, as I didn't have it in front of me to compare, but I just assumed anything similar would work. I'm not sure if TRS vs TRRS could make a difference or if as you say it's having a short cable attached that could make a difference. I'll replace my link with an adapter like the one you linked

I've figured out that this is the exact model I have:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I48G1GC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can confirm that it works consistently, I can swap out the impedance adapter and it stays in high impedance mode, it doesn't switch to aux. So I don't think using an adapter with a cable is an issue. If I had to speculate, it's possible that an extender with a TRRS plug (for mic/remote functions) might behave differently than the TRS plug of this adapter, but that's only speculation, there could be another reason some extenders don't work.

Jun 10, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #2,654 of 4,141
Just to illustrate how the high impedance trick should work.

1. Connect headphones + impedance adapter + jack extender

1.JPG

2. Connect to phone. DAC settings should say "High impedance device"

2.JPG

3. Disconnect the headphones + impedance adapter, leave the headphone extender connected. Settings should still indicate "High impedance device"

3.JPG

4. Connect headphones to extender. Again, should still display "High impedance device"

4.JPG

5. Enjoy!

I should maybe say here that I don't believe there is any difference in quality or sound signature between the different gain modes, so I'd only use this trick if the other modes really can't drive your particular headphones.

I'm using my iSine10s in this test, and I don't feel they're any better on high impedance mode. I sometimes trick it into AUX mode for music that was mastered pretty quiet, where I need a bit more volume, but for most modern music I don't even bother getting the V20 out of normal mode.

I suspect that most of the reports of seemingly easy to drive headphones/IEMs suddenly coming alive in high impedance mode are more psychology (confirmation bias and/or our perception that louder = better quality) than anything else, but ultimately just use whatever method sounds best to you. I could be wrong, it's been known to happen :)

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #2,655 of 4,141
Annoyed!

To fix:
1. Download blue-light filter app (choose the one that can set the color temperature)
2. Set the color to 1800K, and intensity to 5%
3. There won't be any perceivable difference in color and battery, but it will solve your issue of ghost image.

Note, V20 does have built-in blue-light filter app, but since it has only 3 generic setting, i'm not sure what color temperature it set for each setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back