LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Nov 29, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #3,166 of 3,525
  Lol, this is the chart that made me lose all interest in replacing my 10 with a 20. Does the 20 not have a separate amp? Either way, my V10 rocks and I love it. Had it for a few months now and never looked back once. All I can ask for is a 7.0 update.

Correct. The V10 has separate dac and amp chips while the V20 has a single integrated dac/amp chip.

So the V20 may use slightly less battery just from that (along with other tweaks like the more efficient cpu and extra 200mAh) but the V10 has the more 'discrete' amp.

Nov 29, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #3,167 of 3,525
Correct. The V10 has separate dac and amp chips while the V20 has a single integrated dac/amp chip.

So the V20 may use slightly less battery just from that (along with other tweaks like the more efficient cpu and extra 200mAh) but the V10 has the more 'discrete' amp.

Has anyone here compared the V10 to the V20?

Nov 29, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #3,169 of 3,525
Never seen a gold bumpered V10. Sounds very nice.

Don't have the V20 but haven't heard anyone say its a major audio improvement over the V10.

Should be interesting to see more fair comparisons after the V10 gets it's Android 7.0 update (perhaps in a few months). Imo, the sound improved after upgrading to Marshmallow so Nougat might bring further audio improvements.

On paper, the V10 has some advantages though. This chart from androidauthority shows it better:

LV-20-audio-spec-vs.png

Thanks. Great point on waiting for Android N for a clear comparison. I think v10 works great connecting with an external amp via line out as well...

The only thing that really bugs me is how LG design it's input for trrs rather than simple trs. So now when the jack gets loose, I get Google now randomly popping up and random forward/pauses when I'm on the run.

I'm gonna send it in for a fix... But since I'm out of warranty, hopefully it won't cost too much -,-

Nov 29, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #3,170 of 3,525
Thanks. Great point on waiting for Android N for a clear comparison. I think v10 works great connecting with an external amp via line out as well...

The only thing that really bugs me is how LG design it's input for trrs rather than simple trs. So now when the jack gets loose, I get Google now randomly popping up and random forward/pauses when I'm on the run.

I'm gonna send it in for a fix... But since I'm out of warranty, hopefully it won't cost too much -,-

Many of us had that same problem initially. I disabled Google Now long ago but I think some of the updates helped.

The headphone jack has to be TRRS so mics can work. I'd rather have balanced TRRS but that's another topic.

If yours is loose, the headphone jack is very easy to replace. Only a handful of small screws to remove and all are visible with the battery cover off. IIRC, someone here replaced theirs a while back so you might search for that post.

Nov 30, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #3,172 of 3,525
Many of us had that same problem initially. I disabled Google Now long ago but I think some of the updates helped.

The headphone jack has to be TRRS so mics can work. I'd rather have balanced TRRS but that's another topic.

If yours is loose, the headphone jack is very easy to replace. Only a handful of small screws to remove and all are visible with the battery cover off. IIRC, someone here replaced theirs a while back so you might search for that post.

I tried disabling Google now.. Going to the setting.. Couldn't get it to work before... I will try Google a littl more later. Thanks!

Nov 30, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #3,174 of 3,525
The headphone jack, unlike the micro usb port is on a ribbon cable, and can be easily replaced without soldering.

And at this price, may as well buy 2.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122034019463

With a simple screwdriver, and a plastic lifting tool, it would take a few minutes to fix.

This is very good to know! My headphone jack is kind of wonky. Some earbuds/IEM's don't get a good connection. But only low end stuff like some (not all) KZ and Philips SHE3800 $3 earbuds.
Anyone else experience similar problems?

I got a new pair of cans - 1more - with inline controls for walking around or the gym. The connection isn't great with my V10, I think due to the 3.5mm jack.

I have a couple of options - 1) Send back to LG for repair and be without a phone for up to 2 weeks or 2) fix it myself and void the warranty, or maybe a 3rd option - buy a new DAP for stand alone listening. Kind of a shame because the DAC in the V10 is as good as my ears need.

Dec 9, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #3,175 of 3,525
biggrin.gif
About a year ago I use the V10 was.
I bought a Galaxy S7. (Exynos version) The sound is better than the previous Samsung. But. The amplifier was a disappointment. I connected samsung to a Fiio E12A,,,, Mont Blanc for IEM. Duly became a strong voice.I use two headphones. (Audiotechnica ATH-AD900X air / ATH-MSR7) Still no heart V-10 was sold , due to the battery's low and a slower processor, but rather keep DAP-.Much- much nicer the V10 voice !! than the S7+ Fiio amplifier !!  ((They simply are not deep. Oh the stereo sound image tiring. ))
This really hit, they might not know the LG engineers to create a small miracle. It is instructive.
(Of course, I use it Poweramp v3, with HighGain mode , And you do not need the V10 headphone amplifier is inserted, it can only worsen)
((Sorry for my bad english))

Dec 9, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #3,177 of 3,525

biggrin.gif
About a year ago I use the V10 was.
I bought a Galaxy S7. (Exynos version) The sound is better than the previous Samsung. But. The amplifier was a disappointment. I connected samsung to a Fiio E12A,,,, Mont Blanc for IEM. Duly became a strong voice.I use two headphones. (Audiotechnica ATH-AD900X air / ATH-MSR7) Still no heart V-10 was sold , due to the battery's low and a slower processor, but rather keep DAP-.Much- much nicer the V10 voice !! than the S7+ Fiio amplifier !!  ((They simply are not deep. Oh the stereo sound image tiring. ))
This really hit, they might not know the LG engineers to create a small miracle. It is instructive.
(Of course, I use it Poweramp v3, with HighGain mode , And you do not need the V10 headphone amplifier is inserted, it can only worsen)
((Sorry for my bad english))

The v10 really is a great DAP. you are correct!
but i am using it less and less as time goes on..... i blame a certain screenless budget player.... but the V10  I love very much despite its poor battery life and power consumption!

Dec 10, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #3,179 of 3,525
Anyone that's scared to replace the headphone jack shouldn't be. It is dead easy to do, the part is cheap, and it fixes your issue. I've done it twice.

The only thing I'd be afraid of is the warranty. Once the phone is opened other than LG technician, the warranty is gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back