LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Nov 25, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #3,152 of 3,525
Does anybody own both the V10 and the iBasso DX80/DX90? I would love to know the two compare. The DX80 is listed for $299 @ amazon.com.

Cheers

EDIT: Added DX90

Own both V10 and DX90. V10 put DX90 to shame in term of power. Moreover, DX90 is a mess of UI and useabilities. And V10 has a decent camera and its a smartphone, plenty of apps. DX90 doesnt have Bluetooth and lacks of streaming too.

Why do people buy DAPs nowaday, beside the reason of battery life?

Nov 25, 2016 at 5:52 AM Post #3,153 of 3,525
Hi. Thanks for your suggestions. The reason i am inclined to the V10 is because it has a replaceable battery, a very capable UI (although lacks the hardware buttons a dedicated DAP would have), within my $300 budget (available on eBay India as well). 

The Pioneer XDP-100R caught my attention first, however, the lack of a user replaceable battery (which i understand most DAPs lack that feature) has made me decide against it. I have already bought a ATH-M50x.

Cheers

V10 is one of the best mobile/DAPs out there. I am planning to get one myself. While you are at it, you may wish to consider an SD card or two - 200GB going for $40 :wink: .Wish they could release Onkyo DP-X11 mobile soon, though.

Nov 27, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #3,154 of 3,525
Why do people buy DAPs nowaday, beside the reason of battery life?

The biggest inconvenience of the v10 is that using it in hifi dac mode will drain the battery a lot. So for a DAP it has a pretty bad battery life, and is still prone to things you might not want like sounds/calls/etc interrupting your music... Not to mention lack of line out mode, etc

Nov 27, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #3,155 of 3,525
The biggest inconvenience of the v10 is that using it in hifi dac mode will drain the battery a lot. So for a DAP it has a pretty bad battery life, and is still prone to things you might not want like sounds/calls/etc interrupting your music... Not to mention lack of line out mode, etc

If you don't mind lugging an amp, I recently picked up the Fiio A3 (E11k) and when I used them with the V10 (yes i know overkill), the battery drainage was much better. The V10 does have an AUX mode with the right cable.

But I agree, having a dedicated DAP if you don't like any interruptions while you listen to music

Nov 27, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #3,156 of 3,525

If you don't mind lugging an amp, I recently picked up the Fiio A3 (E11k) and when I used them with the V10 (yes i know overkill), the battery drainage was much better. The V10 does have an AUX mode with the right cable.

But I agree, having a dedicated DAP if you don't like any interruptions while you listen to music

What if the V10 was used as a standalone DAP? Has anybody tried so and how does the battery performance look like?

Cheers

Nov 27, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #3,157 of 3,525
It does drain more, but i'd say around 10% for around 2-3 hrs of music playing? You should get a day's worth of music listening if you are just plan listening.

Nov 28, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #3,158 of 3,525
I've gotten good battery life when using like standalone DAP. Stick it in airplane mode and also turn on do not disturb mode. That should take care of notifications while playing.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Nov 28, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #3,159 of 3,525
When I first got my V10 I did some tests. Was getting only 2-3% battery drain an hour while using my Q701 with it. That's with it just playing music with hifi enabled in high impedance mode with the screen off. Cellular on, wifi on and connected, Bluetooth off, GPS on battery saving. I don't think 3% an hour is all that bad. Thats 33 hours of projected music playing time. The big battery killer is the screen, then the processor and ram and all that when the phone isn't just sitting idle.

Nov 28, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #3,160 of 3,525
When I first got my V10 I did some tests. Was getting only 2-3% battery drain an hour while using my Q701 with it. That's with it just playing music with hifi enabled in high impedance mode with the screen off. Cellular on, wifi on and connected, Bluetooth off, GPS on battery saving. I don't think 3% an hour is all that bad. Thats 33 hours of projected music playing time. The big battery killer is the screen, then the processor and ram and all that when the phone isn't just sitting idle.

I think LG rated the second screen to use 5% per day so 3% per hour with everything on is pretty good.

The V10 as a dap is still underrated when it comes to battery life. Some people judge it against other cell phones but most daps barely get 10 hours yet they can't do half of what the V10 does. Over 30 hours is closer to Sony ZX2 territory but the V10 puts out more power and sounds just as good if not better.

I'm trying out a new phone and may soon find out how long the V10 battery lasts strictly as a dap after I remove the sim.

Nov 29, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #3,161 of 3,525
You save tons of power by turning off the second screen. Do it with an app like HWMonitor that can show you how much current the phone is pulling. it helps a lot. I love it though, so I let it chew up my battery.

Nov 29, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #3,162 of 3,525
I'm getting a minor case of upgradtitis... However I find the LG V10 a much prettier phone-- mine is black with gold bumpers on the side and it just look sexy as hell. And the v20 is just simply ugly in comparison..

But then I'm a bit of an audiophile so I am always interested in better sound. So my question for v20 owners in this thread: is there a discernable difference between v10 & v20 sq??

Even if there is, is the difference big enough for you to hear without sitting down with your eyes closed playing the best possible lossless files? Or you would only hear a minute difference in an ideal critical listening environemnt

Sorry if this is a silly question. But I would really love to know what the difference to seasoned owners of both v10 & v20. Thanks in advance^.^

Nov 29, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #3,163 of 3,525
I'm getting a minor case of upgradtitis... However I find the LG V10 a much prettier phone-- mine is black with gold bumpers on the side and it just look sexy as hell. And the v20 is just simply ugly in comparison..

But then I'm a bit of an audiophile so I am always interested in better sound. So my question for v20 owners in this thread: is there a discernable difference between v10 & v20 sq??

Never seen a gold bumpered V10. Sounds very nice.

Don't have the V20 but haven't heard anyone say its a major audio improvement over the V10.

Should be interesting to see more fair comparisons after the V10 gets it's Android 7.0 update (perhaps in a few months). Imo, the sound improved after upgrading to Marshmallow so Nougat might bring further audio improvements.

On paper, the V10 has some advantages though. This chart from androidauthority shows it better:

LV-20-audio-spec-vs.png

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #3,165 of 3,525

Never seen a gold bumpered V10. Sounds very nice.

Don't have the V20 but haven't heard anyone say its a major audio improvement over the V10.

Should be interesting to see more fair comparisons after the V10 gets it's Android 7.0 update (perhaps in a few months). Imo, the sound improved after upgrading to Marshmallow so Nougat might bring further audio improvements.

On paper, the V10 has some advantages though. This chart from androidauthority shows it better:

LV-20-audio-spec-vs.png

Lol, this is the chart that made me lose all interest in replacing my 10 with a 20. Does the 20 not have a separate amp? Either way, my V10 rocks and I love it. Had it for a few months now and never looked back once. All I can ask for is a 7.0 update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back