LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Nov 22, 2016 at 5:17 AM Post #3,136 of 3,525
Hi,

This is my first post on this forum. I'm in the market for a DAP (iPod touch 32gb; not sure if it is the 3rd/4th Gen) and came across this thread. I own an Audio-Technica ATH-M50x. I was wondering if using a LG V10 as a DAP would make sense. 

The phone has a great DAC, expandable storage, user replaceable battery and since it is Android, a pretty decent UI as well. My only concern is the bootloop issue that other users have faced. How wide spread is this issue? Have people with more recently manufactured handsets also faced this issue?

I plan to use this as a DAP (mostly at home), i.e. I will continue to use my iPhone for calling and the LG V10 as a DAP. Are there any other DAPs you would recommend around this price point ~$300?

I'm not too impressed with the Fiio products mostly because of their UI. 

Cheers

Nov 22, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #3,138 of 3,525
  Hi,

This is my first post on this forum. I'm in the market for a DAP (iPod touch 32gb; not sure if it is the 3rd/4th Gen) and came across this thread. I own an Audio-Technica ATH-M50x. I was wondering if using a LG V10 as a DAP would make sense. 

The phone has a great DAC, expandable storage, user replaceable battery and since it is Android, a pretty decent UI as well. My only concern is the bootloop issue that other users have faced. How wide spread is this issue? Have people with more recently manufactured handsets also faced this issue?

I plan to use this as a DAP (mostly at home), i.e. I will continue to use my iPhone for calling and the LG V10 as a DAP. Are there any other DAPs you would recommend around this price point ~$300?

Cheers

I've had mine since January, no bootloop problem or any stability issues. I've mostly heard about the LG G4 having a big problem with boot loops. There have been rumblings of the same problem with the V10, but it doesn't seem as widespread. 

Nov 22, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #3,139 of 3,525
No boot loop on mine. Save some money and get a used one off Swappa.com. They are running $200-$250, these days. Definitely NOT $300. And I'd recommend a T-Mobile version so you can root the device, of its only for a daP. I'd think a ibasso dx90 ( if you can find one), would be a better music only device at $250.

Nov 22, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #3,140 of 3,525
  Hi,

Cheers

I've had my V10 for 6 months and no problems. The LG G4 had documented widespread issues, and that has caused fear for V10 users.
I believe that the failure rate of the V10 (for bootloop or other issue) is about the same as other smartphones. No higher. BUT always keep everything backed up. Store nonsensitive data on the sd card and the rest on main memory. If the phone dies the data on the main memory is lost. Photos, settings - everything should be backed up and synced with cloud services assuming you trust that. LG Backup & restore does a great job so use that. The V10 is a great phone and the DAC/amp is as good as most of us will ever need!

Nov 22, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #3,141 of 3,525
No boot loop on mine. Save some money and get a used one off Swappa.com. They are running $200-$250, these days. Definitely NOT $300. And I'd recommend a T-Mobile version so you can root the device, of its only for a daP. I'd think a ibasso dx90 ( if you can find one), would be a better music only device at $250.

I found one on bhphotovideo.com for $399 which is slightly outside my budget. Thanks for your suggestions 

Nov 22, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #3,142 of 3,525
Hi,

Cheers

Had mine since October 31st 2015, the day it launched on Verizon. No issues here.

Nov 22, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #3,144 of 3,525

I found one on bhphotovideo.com for $399 which is slightly outside my budget. Thanks for your suggestions 

Not sure why you'd say that when the post you quoted told you exactly where to go to get it at half that price.

I was referring to the iBasso DX90 which was hyperlinked in my post. Were you referring to the LG V10?

Cheers

Nov 23, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #3,145 of 3,525
The V10 only lacks a line out mode to perfection IMO. I sold an awful lot of DAPs after I got my V10. Not a fan of the FiiO DAP sound either. It's unnatural. The ESS DAC is a great counterpart to my AKM DAC. It is better than most at the price range.

shrayv you were being told where to get the cheap ibasso...

Nov 24, 2016 at 6:04 AM Post #3,146 of 3,525
The V10 only lacks a line out mode to perfection IMO. I sold an awful lot of DAPs after I got my V10. Not a fan of the FiiO DAP sound either. It's unnatural. The ESS DAC is a great counterpart to my AKM DAC. It is better than most at the price range.

@shrayv you were being told where to get the cheap ibasso...

I am from India and a friend of mine would be carrying it from the US if I decided to go in for either the LG V10 or the iBasso (if i find a good deal). I don't think I can buy from swappa as my paypal verified address is not in the US. I couldn't find the iBasso DX90 on swappa.com. 

I found the DX90 on bhphotovideo for $399 which is slightly out of my budget.

Cheers

Nov 24, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #3,148 of 3,525

I am from India and a friend of mine would be carrying it from the US if I decided to go in for either the LG V10 or the iBasso (if i find a good deal). I don't think I can buy from swappa as my paypal verified address is not in the US. I couldn't find the iBasso DX90 on swappa.com. 

I found the DX90 on bhphotovideo for $399 which is slightly out of my budget.

Cheers

Sony A20 or A30 series come under $210 and $290 respectively and a great value DAP for the price with dependable UI, sound signature and 25 hours of battery life and SD card slot. Or, if you wish to spend $350, you can find Pioneer XDP-100R (1st gen) easily which is again a terrific value with Android UI that lets you do anything or Onkyo DP-X1 (1st gen) for $400 used or like new or even new. If you wish something under $300, there is PAW-5000 at $199 at ALO Audio sale. Or, LUXURY&PRECISION L3 for $350, used on Amazon. Or, new Shanling M1 for $100 or Hidizs AP60 for $90. Not to mention, AK Jr that can go as low as $290-$310 often on Amazon or $250, used on HeadFi Sales Forum. I strongly recommend the ones in bold. Subscribe to Sales thread - this is the best season for looking out for used ones as hundreds or users sell good stuff for nominal prices to get great new gear on sale. 

If I were you, I would rather first spend on getting a very good IEM/headphone than a DAP or a DAC/Amp. 

Nov 25, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #3,149 of 3,525

Sony A20 or A30 series come under $210 and $290 respectively and a great value DAP for the price with dependable UI, sound signature and 25 hours of battery life and SD card slot. Or, if you wish to spend $350, you can find Pioneer XDP-100R (1st gen) easily which is again a terrific value with Android UI that lets you do anything or Onkyo DP-X1 (1st gen) for $400 used or like new or even new. If you wish something under $300, there is PAW-5000 at $199 at ALO Audio sale. Or, LUXURY&PRECISION L3 for $350, used on Amazon. Or, new Shanling M1 for $100 or Hidizs AP60 for $90. Not to mention, AK Jr that can go as low as $290-$310 often on Amazon or $250, used on HeadFi Sales Forum. I strongly recommend the ones in bold. Subscribe to Sales thread - this is the best season for looking out for used ones as hundreds or users sell good stuff for nominal prices to get great new gear on sale. 

If I were you, I would rather first spend on getting a very good IEM/headphone than a DAP or a DAC/Amp. 

Hi. Thanks for your suggestions. The reason i am inclined to the V10 is because it has a replaceable battery, a very capable UI (although lacks the hardware buttons a dedicated DAP would have), within my $300 budget (available on eBay India as well). 

The Pioneer XDP-100R caught my attention first, however, the lack of a user replaceable battery (which i understand most DAPs lack that feature) has made me decide against it. I have already bought a ATH-M50x.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back