LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Sep 10, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #2,851 of 3,525
K712 Pro here.

Sep 10, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #2,854 of 3,525
The Q701 I use is bass modded as well.

Sep 10, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #2,856 of 3,525
Sennheiser Momentum over-ear. At first I was disappointed with the sound and the volume. Then I found out the way to trigger the aux mode - which was a huge benefit. Then I could not resist to go for the high impedance mode to see if that gives even more to the sound. 

The Senn Momentum really benefits from being induced in high impedance, which I do with a male/ female plug and a male plug with a 100 ohm resistor. I can then unplug the resistor and plug in the phone. Aux mode gives plenty of juice for the Momentum, but the extra headroom from the high impedance gives more air. I could root the phone and use alsamixer to avoid this little procedure, but I want to keep it ready for easy updates for now. 

Sounds absolutely amazing. I don't think I need the V 20. 

Sep 10, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #2,857 of 3,525
It probably sounds pretty similar to the K7XX then, but with better treble detail.

Does the bass mod tame the treble a bit?

I did the mod years ago. I don't remember if affecting the treble.

Sep 10, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #2,858 of 3,525
Sennheiser Momentum over-ear. At first I was disappointed with the sound and the volume. Then I found out the way to trigger the aux mode - which was a huge benefit. Then I could not resist to go for the high impedance mode to see if that gives even more to the sound. 

The Senn Momentum really benefits from being induced in high impedance, which I do with a male/ female plug and a male plug with a 100 ohm resistor. I can then unplug the resistor and plug in the phone. Aux mode gives plenty of juice for the Momentum, but the extra headroom from the high impedance gives more air. I could root the phone and use alsamixer to avoid this little procedure, but I want to keep it ready for easy updates for now. 

Sounds absolutely amazing. I don't think I need the V 20. 

I was thinking the same thing yesterday, this phone sounds frigen unreal in high impedance mode. (I have locked out the updates to keep Alsa working)
And then I thought will the v20 even sound this good with the amp built into there DAC? Probably not without forcing high gain, and how long will that take again?

Sep 10, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #2,859 of 3,525
I was thinking the same thing yesterday, this phone sounds frigen unreal in high impedance mode. (I have locked out the updates to keep Alsa working)
And then I thought will the v20 even sound this good with the amp built into there DAC? Probably not without forcing high gain, and how long will that take again?

+1

Never thought we'd be speaking about potential advantage of the V10 having a 'discrete' amp chip.

Sep 10, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #2,860 of 3,525

+1

Never thought we'd be speaking about potential advantage of the V10 having a 'discrete' amp chip.

I'm curious if anyone has had a chance to compare the SQ of the V10 in high-impedance mode to the Oppo HA-2 and the Fiio X3ii. I think it would fare well in a comparison, even if it wasn't superior across the board. 

Also: Is anyone using this in high-impedance mode to power sensitive iems? I have two sensitive pairs of DUNU iems, but they both are said to scale well. They sound better, but I just don't want to risk damaging the drivers to either. (For reference, I'm using the Titan 5 and the DN-200J, both of which are super efficient.)

One cool feature is that the V10 automatically lowers the volume when it's kicked into high-impedance mode. This probably makes using sensitive iems and headphones less risky. 

Sep 10, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #2,861 of 3,525
I am using sensitive IEM's, and I put it in high gain mode when I need crazy volume and incredibly powerful bass, never heard my solar IEM's thump like this. (These volumes would damage hearing fast so I only use them for a few songs maximum sometimes 30 seconds and turn it down).
I think if your careful and never max out their volume you won't damage your IEM'S. However full volume burst could fry the tiny BA driver's very easily, so always use with extreme caution.
I also use the secondary volume in UAPP player to back off the power a little. But what a killer sound

Sep 10, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #2,862 of 3,525
I'm curious if anyone has had a chance to compare the SQ of the V10 in high-impedance mode to the Oppo HA-2 and the Fiio X3ii. I think it would fare well in a comparison, even if it wasn't superior across the board. 

Also: Is anyone using this in high-impedance mode to power sensitive iems? I have two sensitive pairs of DUNU iems, but they both are said to scale well. They sound better, but I just don't want to risk damaging the drivers to either. (For reference, I'm using the Titan 5 and the DN-200J, both of which are super efficient.)

One cool feature is that the V10 automatically lowers the volume when it's kicked into high-impedance mode. This probably makes using sensitive iems and headphones less risky. 

I remember one user in the thread said the V10 sounds very similar to the HA-2 because the dacs are from the same family - ES9018c2m on the V10 vs ES9018k2m on the Oppo.

Sep 11, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #2,863 of 3,525
Is anyone here connecting their V10 directly to a headphone amp? If so, how are you doing it, and how's it working out? I have a 3.5mm to RCA stereo cable I'm thinking of testing this with.

Sep 11, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #2,864 of 3,525
Is anyone here connecting their V10 directly to a headphone amp? If so, how are you doing it, and how's it working out? I have a 3.5mm to RCA stereo cable I'm thinking of testing this with.

There is no way to get a true line out signal that bypasses the amp. I have run it into my stereo by activating the ESS DAC and turning the volume most of the way to full, but it's still not like having a true clean line out signal.

Basically it has the potential to sound good but you'll be double amping no matter what.

Sep 11, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #2,865 of 3,525
There is no way to get a true line out signal that bypasses the amp. I have run it into my stereo by activating the ESS DAC and turning the volume most of the way to full, but it's still not like having a true clean line out signal.

Basically it has the potential to sound good but you'll be double amping no matter what.

I used to think double-amping was bad, but I have some friends who've done it without great results.

Are there any drawbacks?

I'm okay with this solution until I get my Schiit Jotunheim in November.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back